Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Malaria meds, prevention, etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; this particular wikipost can only be unlocked and edited by moderators.

Malaria is a preventable, life-threatening disease transmitted by the bite of the female Anopheles mosquito when she is taking her blood meal and has Plasmodium parasites in her gut from previously biting an infected blood source. Most Anopheles are night-biters, but at least one species bites during cloudy days.

There are five types of malaria that affect humans: Plasmodium falciparum (which is responsible for the vast majority of malaria deaths), P. vivax, P. ovale, P. malariae and P. knowlesi. P. vivax and P. ovale can have recurring bouts.

Symptoms can vary from quite mild to complications such as cerebral malaria; about 1 million deaths per year occur globally from malaria. Some medications are used prophilactically / preventively, as well as to treat malaria, and it seems after time the Plasmodium parasite is able to develop resistance. The locations where certain mosquitoes inhabit and which form of malaria, plus resistances, can be researched prior to travel.

Best practices to prevent malaria include keeping limbs, etc. covered during mosquito-biting hours; sleeping under insecticide-treated bed nets; using approved mosquito repellents (Picaridin or DEET topically and permethrin / Permanone, a persistent repellent applied to the surface of clothing, which persists through several washings).

Disclaimer - link to this guideline
NEVER rely on information or opinions posted on FlyerTalk to replace the information that you receive from your frequent traveler programs*. While FlyerTalk is full of great information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on the boards.

FlyerTalk is founded on the principles of support, empowerment, information and entertainment. Use good judgment when considering how to use information derived from the forums and consult representatives from the appropriate programs before doing anything that might affect your travel or put your miles and points at risk. Remember that what's right for one person may not be right for you.

FlyerTalk is not liable for any loss or damage caused by information obtained through our forums.
* much less your health provider professionals or physicians

Some trustworthy resources include:

Link to some malaria basics from the Government of Canada

Link to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention pages on malaria (treatment, prevention, etc.)

Link to US CDC malaria information for travelers

Link to IAMAT PDF extensive World Malaria risk Chart.

Link to Public Health England pages on malaria

Link to US CDC information on malaria medications / prophylaxis
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hey everyone
please if you could help me

am deciding on either Doxycycline or Malarone for my upcoming trip to Africa (kenya and madagascar)

Doc says I can take either but malarons is 175bucks vs 17 for the doxy

PLan on hitting the beach while out there too, but heard doxy gives you an easy sunburn?

also plan on having surgery when I return (before done with the meds) is that even safe?

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: SAA, BAEC, MK, EK Once upon a time VS until I was robbed of miles.
Malarone if you can afford it Doxy if you can't and neither are guarantees. Just remember to stay indoors where you can especially during sundown and sunrise being the most active feeding periods of the lil deadly suckers, cover arms and legs and spray exposed skin with repellents. Citronella oils and candles and drenched bangles help as do sleeping under deet impregnated mozzie nets. I know some folk who keep the same long sleeve clothes for evening wear and these are washed in a special mozzie pesticide oil (made by Bayer) and work like a charm for several days- especially good if you are in remote areas with no dress codes.
Doxy can make you super sensitive to sun, it did to me plus it gave me a rash and made my stomach acidic my ears ring and the worse thing was I had to take it a month after leaving a malarial area. Everyone gets affected differently if they do.
Some people just take precautions but if I was visiting Coastal Kenya or madagascar I take both precautions and Pills especially in Madagascar.
It only takes one mosquito to kill you or to leave you very very very ill.
Malaria is not fun. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:41 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Have you checked around on the Malarone prices? They've come down considerably since it was introduced and many insurance companies cover it now as well. I think my co-pay on a 30-day supply is $35.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
The Malarone is very easy to take - I've never had any side effects and never heard of anyone having any. I would have a strong preference for it over the Doxy (unless you have a sinus infection ) and it is the preferred medication. Make sure to take it with a milky drink/yoghurt/icecream as it increases the body's uptake of the drug - and accordingly, its prophylactic effecacy.

Keep a million miles away from Mefloquine. Hideous, poisonous, nasty, dangerous, last resort. Worse than Malaria itself, for some people.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:34 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Have you checked around on the Malarone prices? They've come down considerably since it was introduced and many insurance companies cover it now as well. I think my co-pay on a 30-day supply is $35.
Two words. Cost. Co.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:02 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Protection is your best policy against malaria as there is no guarantee whatsoever that taking those pills will "protect" you from the virus and its side effects (mind you, there is one specific mosquito that carries the malaria virus). And sometimes, the side effects of those medications can be really nasty; just read the literature. I travel to Africa a lot (Tanzania and Nigeria). At first, I took pills (many different brands) but then stopped; the side effects were too much to handle (nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, dry mouth, headaches, etc)... Just be vigilant. Take some mosquito repellent with you. Wear long sleeves and pants at night; make sure your ankles are covered. Think about taking something for your hotel room (mosquito spray or something else) and you should be fine. By the way, most hotels will come and spray your room at night if you ask. At least that has been my experience in those 2 countries.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Protection is your best policy against malaria as there is no guarantee whatsoever that taking those pills will "protect" you from the virus and its side effects
BEYFlyer has got it right. Just as covering yourself with a high factor sun lotion won't solve the problem, antimalarials are only effective if you take the sort of precautions mentioned above.

Unless you are a wealthy foreigner malaria is a very destructive part of life in Africa and other areas where it is endemic. Which gives me a chance to mention one of my favourite charities - Nothing But Nets
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:05 pm

My son works in Africa. It depends on where in Africa you are going as to which antimalarial will be the best for you.

MEFLOQUINE - Lariam - can only be taken for a month and if you have EVER suffered from depression or taken antidepressives, STAY AWAY FROM IT. It can have horrendous side effects on your mental health.

MALARONE can be taken for a maximum of 2 months. It is pricey but effective.

DOXYCYCLIN is an antibiotic that can be used as an antimalarial. It can be taken for a maximum of 6 months. It is also one of the antibiotics of choice for treating cholera!! However, if you are taking Doxy you will be light-sensitive and therefore more prone to burning in the African climate.

You MUST take all possible precautions against contracting malaria. Granted that malaria can be 'cured' if you do catch it, but it can also lie dormant in your system for years afterwards.

TALK TO YOUR DOC. Is the expense of the correct medication more than your life is worth?

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: BA BD SA
There have been threads on this before and every time I marvel that anyone would seek medical advice on a travel forum. Surely a more relevant question for a travel forum such as this would be "where can I get independent, up-to-date, expert advice on malaria prophylaxis?".

I have views on the matter but won't try to to impose them on others. However, I do think it makes sense for anyone considering using such potent drugs to make an informed decision - and that does not mean relying on travellers' anecdotes from the internet! I would suggest obtaining professional advice (recognising that your local GP in the USA or wherever may not be the best port of call) and especially interrogating the efficacy of the various drugs and other means of prevention.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:17 am

However, I do think it makes sense for anyone considering using such potent drugs to make an informed decision - and that does not mean relying on travellers' anecdotes from the internet! I would suggest obtaining professional advice
Whilst in 100% agreement that medical advise should be sought from competent authorities, I think that travellers' anecdotes can be helpful. I did not know about the light-sensitivity issue concerning Doxy until it was raised by my son who is a qualified and experienced HEALTH AND SANITATION engineer working in the field for a major NGO. And it would certainly influence my choice of medication if I were to be in sub-Saharan Africa for a significant period all other factors - except cost - being equal.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I took malarone for 3 weeks in Madagascar last year.
No problem except price...
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:44 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Are you also getting a typhoid vaccine? If so, you'll want to check on which typhoid vaccine you're getting if you go with doxycycline. The doxy can limit the effects of the live typhoid vaccine ...the pharamcist and doctor both missed this when my son was taking doxycycline for his skin as a teen, but it was in the information sheet that comes with the live typhoid vaccine.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:48 am

My husband and I took malerone last year for our trip to madagascar. I remember being mad because our insurance wouldn't cover it. It seems they will cover you if you get malaria but wont pay to prevent it! The only side effect we both had was that it had a slight laxative effect. No running to the bathroom, but didn't gain much weight either! Hope you have fun in Madagascar we did!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I take Doxy for a few different reasons (it addresses or prevents a few other diseases) and find it to be successful and cheap. Take it the same time each day with a bit of food to reduce GI symptoms. While it isn't recommended for those without a medical background, I take a three day course of the local preferred malarial treatment (Artequik, etc) before coming home as well as bringing back a second dose to use at home if needed.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't take anything. Keeps things really simple.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.