Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Malaria meds, prevention, etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; this particular wikipost can only be unlocked and edited by moderators.

Malaria is a preventable, life-threatening disease transmitted by the bite of the female Anopheles mosquito when she is taking her blood meal and has Plasmodium parasites in her gut from previously biting an infected blood source. Most Anopheles are night-biters, but at least one species bites during cloudy days.

There are five types of malaria that affect humans: Plasmodium falciparum (which is responsible for the vast majority of malaria deaths), P. vivax, P. ovale, P. malariae and P. knowlesi. P. vivax and P. ovale can have recurring bouts.

Symptoms can vary from quite mild to complications such as cerebral malaria; about 1 million deaths per year occur globally from malaria. Some medications are used prophilactically / preventively, as well as to treat malaria, and it seems after time the Plasmodium parasite is able to develop resistance. The locations where certain mosquitoes inhabit and which form of malaria, plus resistances, can be researched prior to travel.

Best practices to prevent malaria include keeping limbs, etc. covered during mosquito-biting hours; sleeping under insecticide-treated bed nets; using approved mosquito repellents (Picaridin or DEET topically and permethrin / Permanone, a persistent repellent applied to the surface of clothing, which persists through several washings).

Disclaimer - link to this guideline
NEVER rely on information or opinions posted on FlyerTalk to replace the information that you receive from your frequent traveler programs*. While FlyerTalk is full of great information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on the boards.

FlyerTalk is founded on the principles of support, empowerment, information and entertainment. Use good judgment when considering how to use information derived from the forums and consult representatives from the appropriate programs before doing anything that might affect your travel or put your miles and points at risk. Remember that what's right for one person may not be right for you.

FlyerTalk is not liable for any loss or damage caused by information obtained through our forums.
* much less your health provider professionals or physicians

Some trustworthy resources include:

Link to some malaria basics from the Government of Canada

Link to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention pages on malaria (treatment, prevention, etc.)

Link to US CDC malaria information for travelers

Link to IAMAT PDF extensive World Malaria risk Chart.

Link to Public Health England pages on malaria

Link to US CDC information on malaria medications / prophylaxis
Print Wikipost

Malaria meds, prevention, etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Malaria not only kills 1 million people, mostly children, a year, but causes financial havoc on places that least can afford it.

As a responsible traveler and someone who is quite close to prominent virologists working in sub-Saharan Africa, I have to ask myself when I go if I'm being a responsible traveler if I don't take meds in malaria-infected areas. If I get malaria and an uninfected mosquito bites me, that mosquito may now contract malaria from me and go on to infect others - including those who can't get the same level of care that I can.
I agree with you that Malaria is a bad thing and that you should take preventive measures when going into a malaria infested area. But what is a malaria infested area? Based on my knowledge and personal experience, none of the capital cities in Africa are malaria infested. Also none of the minor cities that I have been to qualify. Nor does Kruger.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:13 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Guniea and Botswana lead the way. With the heavy rains there is more mosquito breeding going on and they're expecting more cases in Kruger, where it has been relatively low.

Mostly, my point is that people who flat out tell people to avoid anti-malarials are doing a disservice to many. Studying up on the conditions where you'll be is far more responsible.

There are times I've stopped taking prophylactics in Botswana because I didn't see a single mosquito, but a blanket statement that they're unnecessary at any time is not wise, especially as it does not just put the person making the decision at risk, but others as well. (And I realize you're not saying that, but it's been said elsewhere here.)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The risk of contracting malaria in the KNP is as close to zero as it can get.

...Johan
Johan, you MISSED the important part of my original scribbling when you quoted me!

I wrote Kruger Park, etc ....

The etc is what you missed. He recommended that I take the mefloquinine and that the boys take it as well. Trained physician with LOTS of experience.

YMMV, but I am taking the mefloquinine again because of 15 days walking and camping in "the bush" near Moshi.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmac100
because of 15 days walking and camping in "the bush".
The bush is where you are least likely to contract malaria. The reason is simple: to get malaria, you need to be bitten by a mosquito that has first fed on another person who already has the disease. The less people around, the lower the chance of this happening. In the bush, especially in game reserves, there are very few people around indeed. Depending on the species, mosquitos have a lifetime range of between 200 m and 3 km. The likelyhood of there being any persons with malaria within that range in "the bush" is extremely low. Lodge staff may contract the disease on leave, and then return to work before they develop symptoms, and I guess the same may be true of your guide(s) on a walking/camping safari. That risk is extremely low (although I've personally known it to happen, but even then I didn't get the disease myself).

Johan
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:34 am

Life is in itself risky without risking it being curtailed by doubtful advice. Whilst personal experience is important, I'd prefer to rely on the advice given by a qualified health professional.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Life is in itself risky without risking it being curtailed by doubtful advice. Whilst personal experience is important, I'd prefer to rely on the advice given by a qualified health professional.
Well now, that is the question. The truly qualified health professional is the doctor who resides in Africa, and who has first hand experience in Africa. The less qualified professional is the American doctor. And it is the American doctor who tells you take all the meds. It is the experienced African doctor who tells you to not take those ridiculous Western meds when you have nearly zero risk of contracting Malaria.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by l'etoile
.. If I get malaria and an uninfected mosquito bites me, that mosquito may now contract malaria from me and go on to infect others - including those who can't get the same level of care that I can.
An excellent point which I for one never considered.

Do we have any insurance experts in the house? My question is - if I neglect to take recommended precautions against malaria and then have to be treated for any serious complication, does my insurer have the right to refuse reimbursement?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The bush is where you are least likely to contract malaria. The reason is simple...

Johan
Thanks for the clarification. English is such a PITA as far as understanding neuances are concerned. The bush for me is anywhere outside a town, etc. I will spend 5 days walking up/down Mt. Meru and then 9 days on Kilimanjaro. From what I understand (from talking with other "campers" and from the web) the lower parts have forests and mossies ...

I take the risks .. and the precautions. At the age of 63, and with 47 years of being an insulin-dependent diabetic behind me, all I can say is "So far .. so good".
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Well now, that is the question. The truly qualified health professional is the doctor who resides in Africa, and who has first hand experience in Africa. The less qualified professional is the American doctor. And it is the American doctor who tells you take all the meds. It is the experienced African doctor who tells you to not take those ridiculous Western meds when you have nearly zero risk of contracting Malaria.
If you read my scribbling regarding the physician who prescribed mefloquinine to the boys and me, you will note he is from South Africa - and trained in Stellenboch.

As an aside, I told my ex and the boys that we would get our anti-malaria meds in Africa because the MDs there KNOW about malaria while the Canadian MDs know about polar bear bits, but have only read about malaria and ...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you read my scribbling regarding the physician who prescribed mefloquinine to the boys and me, you will note he is from South Africa - and trained in Stellenboch.
I'm sure your doctor is a good professional, but I have to say I laughed hard at the above comment. While Stellenboch may be located on the continent of Africa, is about as African as Nebraska. It's where all the rich white people live and play golf and grow wine. No malaria there.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:39 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Parts of this are getting rather bizarre. One of the rock stars of identifying and working with diseases that jump species (animal>human) in Africa was schooled at Harvard and Stanford and now spends half his time in Cameroon and half in California. Generalities about doctors in different places are silly. At least one of the universities in Stellenbosch is quite well respected for its research on malaria and its rural medical departments. I assume that's where the doctor above went and probably got a very good education on what most impacts health in Africa. For most universities, especially regarding medical fields, the world is rather small.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 20, 2011 at 8:50 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm sure your doctor is a good professional, but I have to say I laughed hard at the above comment. While Stellenboch may be located on the continent of Africa, is about as African as Nebraska. It's where all the rich white people live and play golf and grow wine. No malaria there.
I do not understand your comment. Are you saying that because a physician is trained in a certain place that said MD cannot treat a patient's situation? That is like saying that because you were trained in a medical college catering to white folks with white patients, that will pre3clude you from treating people "of color".

I don't understand your linking Nevbraska with anything. I know folks from Nebraska including an Olympic athlete who won 4 Gold Medals in Tokyo in 1964. Ah yes, the Corn Husker State

If you read my earlier scribblings I wrote that he had patients go to KNP, etc and took the mefloquinine with no side effects.

FYI the physician was in a small "Afrikans" town between Mossel Bay and Cape Town. Several 100 km from Stelleonboch. In addition, his patients (well the ones in his clinic that day) were all local white folks - except forthe 3 expats (me and the 2 sons).

I fail to see any logic in your alleged connection with being trained in "hoi pollio" Stellenboch and having poor skills in prescribing mefloquinine.

As I scribble this I have landed in Africa and go to JRO in a few hours. Next mefloquinine tab will be taken on Sunday, between Arusha and Moshi. As you can see I believe in prophylaxis and am willing to take calculated risks (by getting ourt of bed and flying - as an example) but do not want to take risks that are just plain dumb..

Your opinion is different than mine, but I am doing what I want in a safe, considered, and calculated way.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not understand your comment. Are you saying that because a physician is trained in a certain place that said MD cannot treat a patient's situation? That is like saying that because you were trained in a medical college catering to white folks with white patients, that will pre3clude you from treating people "of color".
I made no such comment.

I fail to see any logic in your alleged connection with being trained in "hoi pollio" Stellenboch and having poor skills in prescribing mefloquinine.
I made no such statement nor allegation. Your imagination is running amok here.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm taking my family (wife, kids) to Victoria Falls and Kruger in June. I've just started reading up on the meds. From what I've read (and the literature tends to be overly cautious) it seems quite unlikely (but not impossible) to contract malaria in Kruger in June. However, there does seem to be a non-trivial risk of getting malaria at Victoria Falls. If this is true, I want to play it safe and get my family appropriate meds.

It also seems like malarone is likely the "best med" for my family to take. But I've heard that it can be expensive. I have Aetna insurance under what my wife calls the "gambler plan": we each have something like a $1000 deductable (we rarely meet it) so most of our medical expenses come out of our pocket at Aetna's negotiated prices. If it's going to cost hundreds of dollars for us to get malarone, I will certainly consider other options. Does anyone have experience with this? I will certainly call Aetna to see if I can get an idea of the cost, but my experience is that it's very difficult to find out pricing before you get to the pharmacy. Are there low cost places to buy anti-malaria meds?

As far as trusting doctors' advice on this subject, I certainly will strongly consider their advice, but I don't think I'm going to find a lot of practical malaria advice in my hometown. It's not like there are tons of Americans travelling to sub-Sahara Africa, so the "real world" medical advice is going to be a little limited.

Last edited by iahphx; Feb 26, 2012 at 8:42 am Reason: sp
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm taking my family (wife, kids) to Victoria Falls and Kruger in June. I've just started reading up on the meds. From what I've read (and the literature tends to be overly cautious) it seems quite unlikely (but not impossible) to contract malaria in Kruger in June. However, there does seem to be a non-trivial risk of getting malaria at Victoria Falls. If this is true, I want to play it safe and get my family appropriate meds.

It also seems like malarone is likely the "best med" for my family to take. But I've heard that it can be expensive. I have Aetna insurance under what my wife calls the "gambler plan": we each have something like a $1000 deductable (we rarely meet it) so most of our medical expenses come out of our pocket at Aetna's negotiated prices. If it's going to cost hundreds of dollars for us to get maladrone, I will certainly consider other options. Does anyone have experience with this? I will certainly call Aetna to see if I can get an idea of the cost, but my experience is that it's very difficult to find out pricing before you get to the pharmacy. Are there low cost places to buy anti-malaria meds?

As far as trusting doctors' advice on this subject, I certainly will strongly consider their advice, but I don't think I'm going to find a lot of practical malaria advice in my hometown. It's not like there are tons of Americans travelling to sub-Sahara Africa, so the "real world" medical advice is going to be a little limited.
I cant comment about the prevalence of malaria there, but I will tell you Malarone will be very expensive. As everyone needs to take it 3 days before, during and for 7 days after your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.