Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Malaria meds, prevention, etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; this particular wikipost can only be unlocked and edited by moderators.

Malaria is a preventable, life-threatening disease transmitted by the bite of the female Anopheles mosquito when she is taking her blood meal and has Plasmodium parasites in her gut from previously biting an infected blood source. Most Anopheles are night-biters, but at least one species bites during cloudy days.

There are five types of malaria that affect humans: Plasmodium falciparum (which is responsible for the vast majority of malaria deaths), P. vivax, P. ovale, P. malariae and P. knowlesi. P. vivax and P. ovale can have recurring bouts.

Symptoms can vary from quite mild to complications such as cerebral malaria; about 1 million deaths per year occur globally from malaria. Some medications are used prophilactically / preventively, as well as to treat malaria, and it seems after time the Plasmodium parasite is able to develop resistance. The locations where certain mosquitoes inhabit and which form of malaria, plus resistances, can be researched prior to travel.

Best practices to prevent malaria include keeping limbs, etc. covered during mosquito-biting hours; sleeping under insecticide-treated bed nets; using approved mosquito repellents (Picaridin or DEET topically and permethrin / Permanone, a persistent repellent applied to the surface of clothing, which persists through several washings).

Disclaimer - link to this guideline
NEVER rely on information or opinions posted on FlyerTalk to replace the information that you receive from your frequent traveler programs*. While FlyerTalk is full of great information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on the boards.

FlyerTalk is founded on the principles of support, empowerment, information and entertainment. Use good judgment when considering how to use information derived from the forums and consult representatives from the appropriate programs before doing anything that might affect your travel or put your miles and points at risk. Remember that what's right for one person may not be right for you.

FlyerTalk is not liable for any loss or damage caused by information obtained through our forums.
* much less your health provider professionals or physicians

Some trustworthy resources include:

Link to some malaria basics from the Government of Canada

Link to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention pages on malaria (treatment, prevention, etc.)

Link to US CDC malaria information for travelers

Link to IAMAT PDF extensive World Malaria risk Chart.

Link to Public Health England pages on malaria

Link to US CDC information on malaria medications / prophylaxis
Print Wikipost

Malaria meds, prevention, etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MTC
I wish I had not booked this trip...!!
Relax, and enjoy your trip.

In Kruger, the risk of a snake or scorpion bite is probably greater than that of contracting malaria, which is negligible.

Johan
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:19 pm
MTC

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Thanks Konagirl2 and Johan.
No, we won't be going to the Zambian side.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:32 am
MTC

Still anxious!
Would like to hear from folks who have worn clothes treated with Permethrin/Permanone. Are they effective? Where can they be bought?
Thanks!!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't want to get malaria? Eat a dog!

"Two Nigerian men and a South African woman appeared in the Klerksdorp Magistrate's Court for allegedly beheading a dog while it was alive and eating its meat, the Stilfontein SPCA in the North West said on Thursday. [The SPCA] said the Nigerian men believed that dog meat could prevent diseases like malaria."

Source

Johan
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by konagirl2
Mefloquine (or mefloquine hydrochloride) trades as Larium and, in a very small number of cases, can lead to psychological side-effects. For this reason, people who choose to take mefloquin are usually required to start taking the medication 4 weeks before their trip, so if any side effects become apparent they can stop taking the drug and change to something else.
That's not recommended by any reputable source. Start taking it 1 week before travel, once a week during travel, and continue for 4 weeks after travel ends.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
Originally Posted by MTC
Still anxious!
Would like to hear from folks who have worn clothes treated with Permethrin/Permanone. Are they effective? Where can they be bought?
Thanks!!
I lived in Zanzibar for three years and took a daily 100mg Doxycyline for about two years straight (take with food, avoid dairy and don't get too much sun exposure) plus liberal use of DEET (use high concentrated over 30%; spray on socks/shoes/sleeves/near where mosquitoes bite) when outdoors in the evenings. Thousands of mosquito bites later, I managed to avoid malaria. The plus about Doxy is that it has next to no side-effects, providing you take it with food ---of course, you may want to take pro-biotics afterward to fix your gut.

FYI, bring your own mosquito net and TREAT it with the insecticide when you get there - they are easily purchased online.

Most important; Put together an emergency travel kit - perhaps with help from a travel clinic - include emergency course of antibiotics, anti-diarrhea, emergency malaria treatment, painkillers, even an epipen/epinephrine autoinjector) - when in the bush all you can depend on is your own preparedness.

IMO, be more worried about avoiding bad water/food poisoning.

Last edited by Canuck2012; Jul 3, 2014 at 5:31 am
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canuck2012
I lived in Zanzibar for three years and took a daily 100mg Doxycyline for about two years straight.
Idle curiosity: what did you take the third year?

Johan
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:55 am
MTC

Thanks Canuck2012. I know Doxy has next to no side-effects.
We will only be in Kruger for 3 days and another 3 in Victoria Falls. We will be staying in luxury lodges/hotels where I believe mosquito nets will be provided.
I will use the DEET.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by MTC
Thanks Canuck2012. I know Doxy has next to no side-effects.
We will only be in Kruger for 3 days and another 3 in Victoria Falls. We will be staying in luxury lodges/hotels where I believe mosquito nets will be provided.
I will use the DEET.
You'll be fine. Relax and enjoy your trip.

Cheers,
J.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Wanted to bump this thread. We will be in Tanzania for 2 weeks (Selous and Zanzibar) and our travel clinic has recommended Malarone (Atovaquone/Proguanil) for the 2 weeks we are there plus 7 days after. We are told the side effects are limited. Does anyone have any experience with Malarone?

I kind of laugh, as I think to my backpacker student days where I traveled around Africa without my proper shots or any malaria pills and slept on dirty hostel beds with no nets. When you are 20 I guess you think you are invincible.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:10 pm

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
Mr. east_of_the_sun and I took Malarone per the advice of our travel clinic on 6 previous trips to Africa ( South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Kenya, Tanzania/Zanzibar).

We will be taking Malarone , again, when we travel to Tanzania in about a month.

My husband has never reported any side-effects from the med.

I occasionally have experienced some vivid, but not scary, dreams while taking Malarone.

Neither of us has taken any other types of anti-malaria meds; so we have nothing to compare.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've taken Malarone several times for southern African parks. It's not a big deal; biggest problem is remembering to take the meds after you get home. The first time I did have some semi-vivid dreams (no big deal), but lately I've had no reaction at all.

Just make sure you actually need the meds, though. I always error on the side of safety, but do your own research; USA travel clinics don't really know what the "situation on the ground" is. Of course, locals sometimes dismiss the risk too, partly because locals can build up immunity. You can read some recent articles about the increase in malaria cases in the USA from travelers (mostly friends and family travel) returning from affected areas.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:11 am

I spent a few years on Lariam without ill effect. I tried Malarone in some destinations when it came along, but it wasn't recommended for anything other than short stays; again, I didn't have any bad reactions. If that's the recommended drug for your destination, I would be inclined to choose that. I did get some medical "indication" (not scientifically-supported advice from a doctor) that Malarone wasn't ideal for strict vegetarians: something about being fat soluble. But I am not a doctor!

Lately, my destinations have guided me to Doxycycline because of disease resistance.

I have had malaria, and I would advise against skipping the prophylaxis.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:50 am

Per travelcomments.com Blog
https://umhambi.blogspot.com/2017/12...-in-south.html
South Africa's National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) has released a new updated advisory on the Malaria risk in South Africa 2017. According to the NICD, the seasonal risk to catch Malaria in Malaria-infected regions in South Africa usually peaks between September and May. Due to more mosquito breeding in Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Northern KwaZulu Natal and other high risk areas in in the country, the seasonal risk has now been significantly extended. This increased breeding activity is most likely related to climate change and heavier rainfall.

For some reason, I cannot view the graphic on my computer right now (nor post it to FT).
Old Dec 25, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I kind of laugh, as I think to my backpacker student days where I traveled around Africa without my proper shots or any malaria pills and slept on dirty hostel beds with no nets. When you are 20 I guess you think you are invincible.
I lived in West Africa for a few months when I was 20, took the recommended malaria preventative and still got malaria. I was one sick puppy and I discovered I was very vincible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.