Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:06 am
Ambassador

Originally Posted by dcaflyer979
Does anyone know what happened to News Cafe in Intl' Depatures/Duty Free section? Is it coming back? Huge loss.

There are basically zero places to eat in the Int'l Depatures terminal.
Is the construction still going on? I haven't even bothered to go into the area where News Cafe used to be since it closed.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
to those of you posting pics - Thanks!!!

this helps me understand what to expect for my first transfer in JNB to CPT.
This is why FT is so special.
thanks again.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I plan to book the following:

CPT-BFN-JNB-CAI-JFK

JNB connection time is 65 minutes. CPT-BFN-JNB is on SAA, JNB-CAI-JFK is on MS. Should be under one PNR. It's an award using US miles.

Seems I don't need to recheck luggage in JNB, will 65 minutes cut it too close? Otherwise, I'll have to book an earlier CPT-BFN-JNB with a 5 hours connection in JNB. Not particularly excited about staying JNB for 5 hours.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Guide to Connecting at JNB

My 1:50 connection for CPT-JNB on SA and JNB-CAI on MS on the same PNR was more than enough time. My bags were checked through and all BPs given in CPT so it was just the time to get from one gate to the other. The total walk time from Domestic arrival to Int'l departure gate shouldn't be more than 15 minutes at a healthy adult pace so I believe 65 minutes will be fine.

What time of day/week is the trip? The biggest time risk will be getting through security and border control as you pass between terminals. It was pretty empty on the Sat evening I connected but the posts were understaffed so it still took about 15-20 minutes. However, there appeared to be enough lanes to handle substantially more traffic so hopefully they balance staff to expected passenger numbers to keep the lines moving.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 100K BA executive club, IC/platinum/RA
10 stopover/connection:) at JNB

Doing a MR from YYZ-FRA-JNB-LHR-YYZ. I have 10 hours in JNB. Would love to venture out, but not sure of the safest way to go. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post or PM. I leave in about 10 days and would be very appreciative of any suggestions.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by useless
Doing a MR from YYZ-FRA-JNB-LHR-YYZ. I have 10 hours in JNB. Would love to venture out, but not sure of the safest way to go. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post or PM. I leave in about 10 days and would be very appreciative of any suggestions.
Taxis are eye-wateringly expensive. The Gautrain is perfectly safe and the Sandton City / Nelson Mandela Square area, next to Sandton Station, is a perfectly fine place to spend some time with some decent places to eat.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan 100K BA executive club, IC/platinum/RA
Thanks. I should have checked out more on the travel section before posting. I am still, however, more then willing to take any advise offered.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:29 pm

Lvi-jnb-lhr-osl

I have tried google and looking through the forums, but I didn't find the answer I was looking for. (Sorry, if I have it have been answered and I have missed it.)

I am flying LVI-JNB-LHR-OSL. BA6292 LVI-JNB, BA54 JNB-LHR and BA762 LHR-OSL. I have a stop in JNB for 5h 30min before flying to LHR.

A colleague of mine which currently is in South Africa had some of his belongings stolen in his suitcase and he flew through JNB. (Received the suitcase 4 days after he arrived in CPT. It was in JNB all the time according to luggage tracings.) It still seems that there is a problem with luggage theft at JNB. Due to carry-on rules on BA6292 I have to pack some electrical stuff in the checked-in luggage.

Do anybody know if I can short check my luggage LVI-JNB and recheck at JNB? BA has 23 kg carry-on while Comair has 7 (or 8) kg and thus I also like to repack. Has anybody done this?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:33 am
Ambassador

Welcome to Flyertalk, janoa. ^

Some airlines forbid short-checking of luggage but, as far as I know, BA doesn't so you should be OK. Just ask at check-in at LVI.

Is there any possibility of changing to the BA56 which leaves earlier than the BA54?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by BA304
Welcome to Flyertalk, janoa. ^

Some airlines forbid short-checking of luggage but, as far as I know, BA doesn't so you should be OK. Just ask at check-in at LVI.

Is there any possibility of changing to the BA56 which leaves earlier than the BA54?
Thank you very much for your reply!

I am not if changing to BA56 would help, because the suitcase would still be 3 hours in transit at JNB and still enough time for people to have a closer look. I am also flying from LHR to OSL in the morning so time-wise is doesn't help. With BA54 I can have 'a lot of time' at JNB for repacking and checking in again.

I will report back after the trip. Flyertalk is a great forum!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Any experience from LAM (Vilanculos) connecting to LH in Johannesburg

At the end of a safari to Zimbabwe, we will be going for a few days at the beach in the Bazaruto, Mozambique, returning from Vilanculos, Mozambique, on LAM airlines, arriving in JNB at approx 4:30 pm to connect to a LH flight from JNB to LAX via Frankfurt departing at 7:30.
Does anybody have any experience with tagging bags all the way through to LAX with LAM. I have heard/read that LAM is not the most reliable or timely airline and not sure if it best to pick up luggage in JNB and recheck with 3 hr layover?
Old May 13, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by janao

Do anybody know if I can short check my luggage LVI-JNB and recheck at JNB? BA has 23 kg carry-on while Comair has 7 (or 8) kg and thus I also like to repack. Has anybody done this?
Just come back from my trip. Class Y. I was able to, without any problems to have my baggage checked only from LVI to JNB (BA 6292 12MAY LVI-JNB). Picked up the baggage there, had it for a couple of hours, and rechecked.

Also used these flights (Y class)
SA 1241 02MAY CPTHDS 0930 1210
SA 1226 06MAY HDSJNB 1200 1300
BA 6285 08MAY JNBVFA 1125 1305
BA 6292 12MAY LVIJNB 1330 1515

and hand baggage was never weighted, although a lot of people had to 'Sky check' their baggage for the SA flights (smaller plane). I did notice when boarding BA54 at JNB SAA had a baggage weight standing at the gate (after boarding pass control, but right before entering the plane).
Old May 19, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Been reading the details here of connecting at JNB. Thanks to all of your for posting your experiences (and pics - very helpful).
We are leaving next week and would like some feedback from the experts on our specific situation.

Our return flight is my concern. We are arriving on SA191 (MRU-JNB) connecting to SA264 (JNB-MUC) in business class. The itinerary shows about 1 hour/10 minutes to make the connection. Is this reasonable at JNB, given we are going SAA to SAA? I'm not sure, but I believe SA191 comes into terminal A and SA264 departs from terminal B (maybe)? I understand we will walk from terminal to terminal (international connection) and will likely go through security. Its not completely clear to me if this will require clearing passport control/immigration though? Ideally, we would like to check our bags through to our final destination, but from what I have read it may be best to collect them and recheck? I'm concerned we may not have enough time though.

I have flown to/through JNB a few times, but never had time constraints. My experience has been connecting from international to domestic flights though (not international to international). So, I am unsure if the time between flights is reasonable or quite what to do about rechecking bags given the time.

We are in business class on all flights (if that matters).

I would appreciate any advice from those more experienced with JNB.

Thanks!

Last edited by RockyMntFlyer; May 19, 2013 at 5:23 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old May 19, 2013, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
I believe SA191 comes into terminal A and SA264 departs from terminal B (maybe)? I understand we will walk from terminal to terminal (international connection) and will likely go through security. Its not completely clear to me if this will require clearing passport control/immigration though? Ideally, we would like to check our bags through to our final destination, but from what I have read it may be best to collect them and recheck? I'm concerned we may not have enough time though. We are in business class on all flights (if that matters).
All international flights physically arrive and depart from the same terminal A. The only reason that your departure is shown from terminal B is that SAA check-in is technically located in terminal B (actually, right on the border between Terminals A and B, which are in reality a single large building). An SAA passenger originating in Johannesburg would check-in for either domestic or international flights in Terminal B, and then turn left to the Terminal A checkpoint for international flights, or right to the Terminal B checkpoint for domestic. Hence, you do not have to actually change terminals.

That said, you do need to pass through transit passport control and security. Follow the signs for International Transfers as described in this thread and go with the flow of traffic. It is very straightforward, so nothing to worry about. 1h10m is plenty of time to go through this - it usually takes me no more than 5-10 minutes from entering the building from my inbound flight to being through all checks and in the departure area for my next flight.

You will not however have enough time to collect and re-check your bags, if only because check-in for your connection will close 60 minutes prior to departure. Therefore, you should ensure that they are checked through from Mauritius (this will be the default option if you are on a single ticket anyway). On an SAA-SAA connection, you should not have any major issues with this.

Finally, being in Business Class has no real advantage in the transit process other than that it puts you at the front of the pack from your flight. Plus, once you clear transit security you can go to the decent SAA lounge and relax for a while! Good luck and have a good trip!
Old May 20, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
B747-437B thanks so much for your response. This is very helpful. Quick question:

Once we arrive do we need to check in with the transfer desk to confirm our luggage tags with SAA to confirm the luggage is transferred (or is this automatic?) I read here that if you don't confirm, your luggage is not transferred. Is this true?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.