Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by kahuna613
Cool, thanks...and I need to specifically look for the international transfers area and not follow the people who are terminating in Johannesburg, correct?
No, coming from MRU and going to CPT, you'll need to clear immigration and customs in JNB. Once outside the secure area, go to domestic flights in terminal B.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:11 pm

I'm looking at FRA-JNB-VFA options. FRA-JNB will be on LH. One option is 35 minute connection to SAA flight (so I imagine bags would be ok). Other option is 70 minute connection to BA flight. I think the longer connection is safer and worth the extra miles, but not sure if we'd have to get our bags and check-in again. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm not mistaken, the minimum international-international connection time at JNB is 60 minutes.

Johan
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:38 pm
Ambassador

Guide to Connecting at Johannesburg / JNB

See wiki "upstairs". The post content has been relocated there.

This way, the post (last updated over two years ago) can be updated orvexpanded by members with at least ninety days on FT and ninety posts.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 14, 2015 at 8:19 pm
Old May 1, 2012, 3:33 am

In the case of Intl-Dom connections, there is no need to "exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left". You can use the internal escalators to the upper level which are located to the immediate left of the re-checkin desks and before you exit to the public area. These escalators bring you out in front of the Vodacom store and right next to the international departures security/immigration checkpoint. From there, it is one level further up to domestic departures. This has the benefit of avoiding the crowd of taxi touts, etc.. that congregate at the public exit.
nicolewsd likes this.
Old May 1, 2012, 3:59 am
Ambassador

Can you take trolleys up those escalators? I've not used them.

Either way I'll amend the guide to give both options.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:21 am

I'm getting conflicting information - will we make the connection?

We have IST-JNB-LVI and we only have 1 hour to connect

We did have 2 hours but they changed the IST-JNB to take off later.

We called aeroplan and they have said that it is a legal connection so we can't change our flights.

I contacted the person who has booked our safari and he says that we have to land, clear customs, pick up bags and go to our flight which could take 2 hours.
He is convinced we won't make the connection and the next flight to LVI is the next day.

Is he right?
Will we miss our connection?
Do we have to clear customs and pick up our bags?
For international wouldn't the bags get checked through?

thanks
Old May 1, 2012, 6:35 am
Ambassador

Take a look at this thread, RockoHorse.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:49 am

So assuming your bags are checked through - is 60mins enough for your bags to make it to the new flight?

I've had bags miss at 2-3 hours so 1 hour seems really tight.
I don't particularly want to travel carry-on only, but if it means I don't have to chase a delayed bag It might be the only option.

thanks!
Old May 1, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RockoHorse
I don't particularly want to travel carry-on only, but if it means I don't have to chase a delayed bag It might be the only option.
When flying to or via JNB, carry-on is the only sane option, and eminently doable in most cases. Unless you are going to climb a mountain or have a lot of tools or equipment you need for your work, a little bit of planning should allow most people to travel with an absolute minimum of luggage.

Johan
Old May 4, 2012, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by RockoHorse
I contacted the person who has booked our safari and he says that we have to land, clear customs, pick up bags and go to our flight which could take 2 hours.
He is convinced we won't make the connection and the next flight to LVI is the next day.

Is he right?
No, he's completely wrong. As it is an international transit, the bags will be checked through, you just follow the signs for international transfers. 60 minutes for international transfers is possible.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks for the useful thread.

Int'l-domestic: isn't there a baggage recheck area for through-checked baggage before the public area?

Originally Posted by BA304
Can you take trolleys up those escalators?
Yes.

Last edited by Roger; May 7, 2012 at 5:35 am Reason: deleted irrelevant info
Old May 7, 2012, 2:43 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by Roger
Thanks for the useful thread.

Int'l-domestic: isn't there a baggage recheck area for through-checked baggage before the public area?
I've not done that myself so I'm not sure - would be good to know.

Regarding the escalators by the re-check desks (I really must make an effort to use them next time) do they end up on the retail level of the domestic terminal?
Old May 7, 2012, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by BA304
I've not done that myself so I'm not sure - would be good to know.

Regarding the escalators by the re-check desks (I really must make an effort to use them next time) do they end up on the retail level of the domestic terminal?
Yes, there is a re-check on the left just before you exit to the public area on the right.

The escalators bring you out in front of the Vodacom store and right next to the international departures security/immigration checkpoint. Turn left and you'll come to CNA, Woolworths, etc.. and then a bit further to the food court. One level up to checkin area "B" and the domestic departures.
nicolewsd likes this.
Old May 7, 2012, 3:50 pm

Signage for International Transfers when exiting the bus.

Split between passengers heading to Passport Control and International Transfer passengers.

Baggage re-check desks on left before exiting to the public area on right.

Signage for escalator next to baggage re-check that leads up to Departures "B" bypassing the public arrivals area.
nicolewsd likes this.

Last edited by B747-437B; May 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.