Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

USD $200/ticket change fee for interline bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USD $200/ticket change fee for interline bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by alserire
If it’s in the germs and conditions then you’ll have no chance in court. Not the airline’s fault you didn’t read them.
Agree to disagree. If they prominently display NO CHANGE FEES on page one, and then on page 3,497,938, in size 1 font, say "lol jk two million dollars change fee", I'm fairly certain you'd prevail in court.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:01 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Agree to disagree. If they prominently display NO CHANGE FEES on page one, and then on page 3,497,938, in size 1 font, say "lol jk two million dollars change fee", I'm fairly certain you'd prevail in court.
Either way your issue is with B6, nothing to do with EI. You can complain to DOT if you believe that B6 are deceptive in how they disclose their fees
OhDoctor and alserire like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soy
Either way your issue is with B6, nothing to do with EI. You can complain to DOT if you believe that B6 are deceptive in how they disclose their fees
I will, after the flight, in the off chance they want to retaliate by cancelling the ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It's nearly always advisable to hold off on booking until you actually know what it is you want to buy, rather than relying on a "no cancellation fee" statement when committing to a refundable ticket that may or may not be what you actually want.

And this wasn't a simple change - like changing the dates of the outbound and/or inbound - to switch from an EI journey to Dublin to a B6 journey to San Francisco seems to indicate a complete change of mind, and having that transatlantic ticket already in your pocket doesn't strike me as putting you in a better position than if you hadn't purchased anything yet.

Even if there was no "hidden fee", it's just a lot of extra work and hassle, to have to go through the motions to change the ticket. Having a refundable ticket doesn't actually put you in a "better" position, particularly if that ticket bears absolutely no resemblance to the journey you eventually want to take. And, by booking a refundable ticket (unless all B6 "Mint" fares are supposedly completely flexible/cancellable) you've probably paid more than you actually needed to, or than you would have if you waited until you knew your actual itinerary and then booked the cheapest-available fare.

Anyway, good luck with the complaint, and please come back and let us know how it worked out! And enjoy San Francisco
alserire likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It's nearly always advisable to hold off on booking until you actually know what it is you want to buy, rather than relying on a "no cancellation fee" statement when committing to a refundable ticket that may or may not be what you actually want.

And this wasn't a simple change - like changing the dates of the outbound and/or inbound - to switch from an EI journey to Dublin to a B6 journey to San Francisco seems to indicate a complete change of mind, and having that transatlantic ticket already in your pocket doesn't strike me as putting you in a better position than if you hadn't purchased anything yet.

Even if there was no "hidden fee", it's just a lot of extra work and hassle, to have to go through the motions to change the ticket. Having a refundable ticket doesn't actually put you in a "better" position, particularly if that ticket bears absolutely no resemblance to the journey you eventually want to take. And, by booking a refundable ticket (unless all B6 "Mint" fares are supposedly completely flexible/cancellable) you've probably paid more than you actually needed to, or than you would have if you waited until you knew your actual itinerary and then booked the cheapest-available fare.

Anyway, good luck with the complaint, and please come back and let us know how it worked out! And enjoy San Francisco
Thanks -- it was a speculative booking for a sub 2k RT TATL J fare x 4 people, which was a pretty good deal. Had to stay domestic due to unforeseen circumstances.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:22 pm

Was the ticket purchased Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Extra or Mint?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnp012001
Was the ticket purchased Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Extra or Mint?
It was business class fare, which B6 calls Mint. Yes, I understand how the airline can say that I technically didn't purchase one of those named fares, but again, it's grossly misleading to have the change/cancellation fees displayed prominently at the top page, and then bury a set of alternate change/cancellation fees for your flight in particular under several pages of tiny garbled text.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:34 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Can we get this thread moved to JetBlue forum as its nothing to do with EI?
MM00LL2, alserire, Teplane and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROKNA
Can we get this thread moved to JetBlue forum as its nothing to do with EI?
I think "nothing to do" with EI is a bit of a stretch, as B6's position is that this fee is imposed by EI directly, and B6 is simply collecting on behalf.
alserire likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
I think "nothing to do" with EI is a bit of a stretch, as B6's position is that this fee is imposed by EI directly, and B6 is simply collecting on behalf.
Sounds like B6 are just pointing the finger elsewhere. As you posted upthread, the fee is in the B6 T&Cs, albeit buried in the detail.
alserire likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.