Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

USD $200/ticket change fee for interline bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

Recently booked a flight on EI via JetBlue (ticketed by B6 and purchased on B6) for a JFK-DUB flight. Subequently changed to JFK-SFO (obviously now on B6 metal), but was hit with a $200/ticket "interline international to domestic" change fee. B6 insists this is EI's fee, but I can find no record of such a fee on EI's website.

Can anyone shed light on what's going on here?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
No but it's quite possible that EI have charged B6 a cancellation fee as you are now no longer travelling with them?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alserire
No but it's quite possible that EI have charged B6 a cancellation fee as you are now no longer travelling with them?
Doesn't that need to be disclosed in writing somewhere?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Doesn't that need to be disclosed in writing somewhere?
Your contract is with B6. I would assume under US laws it is required to disclose its fees and charges to you.

You do not have a contractual relationship with EI & whatever EI’s contractual relationship with B6 is is a B2B relationship between those 2 parties.

If B6 has charged you a fee that was not transparently clear when booking then you need to raise with them.
ROKNA and alserire like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Was this a Blue Basic fare?

https://www.jetblue.com/legal/fees

• Booked Blue Basic before Mar 18, 2024? Changes are subject to difference in fare plus the following fee:
    • $100 (North America, Central America, or the Caribbean)
    • $200 (other routes)
Recently booked a flight on EI via JetBlue (ticketed by B6 and purchased on B6) for a JFK-DUB flight. Subequently changed to JFK-SFO (obviously now on B6 metal), but was hit with a $200/ticket "interline international to domestic" change fee. B6 insists this is EI's fee, but I can find no record of such a fee on EI's website.

Can anyone shed light on what's going on here?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progapanda
Was this a Blue Basic fare?

https://www.jetblue.com/legal/fees
No, it was a Mint/Business fare. B6 was quite explicit that this fee is part of their interline agreement.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:26 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
This thread needs to be in the JetBlue forum

As above your ticket and contract is with JetBlue, any charges are set by them
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Price up your itinerary on their website.

(I think you are now flying SFO-(B6)-JFK-(EI)-DUB but it's not exactly clear).

There is no $200 "domestic to international" interline fee.

Even if EI charged such a fee to their passengers (they don't), that's completely irrelevant; you're booking from B6 and are therefore subject only to B6's T&Cs and fees.
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 25, 2024 at 3:03 am
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:31 am

I don’t think that’s the issue. OP appears to be travelling to SFO now rather than DUB for whatever reason. No EI involvement in the flight now at all. So if B6 are charged by EI for what is, in essence, a cancellation, then that may be where the fee comes in.
OhDoctor likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alserire
I don’t think that’s the issue. OP appears to be travelling to SFO now rather than DUB for whatever reason. No EI involvement in the flight now at all. So if B6 are charged by EI for what is, in essence, a cancellation, then that may be where the fee comes in.
That's exactly right. B6 insists that this is a fee EI has charged them (and they are subsequently passing on to me) as part of their interline agreement. Here is how the fee is displayed on the receipt for the new flight (ticket #s blanked out):

alserire likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:47 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Again this is between you and JetBlue and their terms and conditions of travel. If the fees were not disclosed or are charged incorrectly you need to contact the DoT.
Kgmm77, irishguy28 and alserire like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That's exactly right. B6 insists that this is a fee EI has charged them (and they are subsequently passing on to me) as part of their interline agreement. Here is how the fee is displayed on the receipt for the new flight (ticket #s blanked out):
What were the cancellation/change conditions on the ticket you originally bought from B6? They can only charge you fees as per the change/cancellation conditions.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 25, 2024 at 7:35 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:00 pm

From the fare rules I looked at for an EI flight purchased on jetblue.com. You also get the privilege of paying around $900 more than flying on Jet Blue metal.

​​​​​​​CANCELLATIONS?BEFORE DEPARTURE?CHARGE USD 200.00.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnp012001
From the fare rules I looked at for an EI flight purchased on jetblue.com. You also get the privilege of paying around $900 more than flying on Jet Blue metal.
Yes, I just noticed this in the fare rules after making a dummy booking. What is irritating to me is that B6s fees are clearly and prominently displayed at the top of the fare rules ($0, for this business class flight), and then you have to scroll down several pages to see the $200/ticket fee buried in the fare rules in the fine print (you literally have to pass through pages of tiny font gobbledygook to see it). I still feel pretty certain that you'd have a case to allege false advertising, at least as far as U.S. law goes.

Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:00 am

If it’s in the terms and conditions then you’ll have no chance in court. Not the airline’s fault you didn’t read them.

Last edited by alserire; Mar 27, 2024 at 11:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.