Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting out of Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Connecting out of Dublin

Flying SFO to BRU with a stop in DUB. Is one hour enough time to connect if flying on a single ticket?

Flying from BRU to SFO via DUB. Is two hours enough time to connect if flying on a single ticket?

Love the lower fares compared to United. But trying to figure out if I should pay $300 more for piece of mind, mileage plus points (don't have Aer Lingus account), and extra leg room (i have a economy plus sub)?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If Aer Lingus is proposing a one-hour connection, then go for it. Aer Lingus will be required to get you to Brussels even if you miss the flight when you book all travel on a single ticket. However, as there are only 3 flights a day you may have to hang around for a while for the next one.

On the way back the two hour connection should be absolutely no problem. You will pre-clear US customs and immigration at DUB prior to your flight to SFO.

Some Aer Lingus tickets will earn MileagePlus points.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Dear irishguy28,

Thank you for the info. My confusion was over the pre-clearance. Their website recommends 3 hours yet their flights from BRU, AMS, and CGD all connect through DUB onto SFO and all have very short connections (90-minutes to 2 1/2 hours). Appreciate your help.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edvasquez
Dear irishguy28,

Thank you for the info. My confusion was over the pre-clearance. Their website recommends 3 hours yet their flights from BRU, AMS, and CGD all connect through DUB onto SFO and all have very short connections (90-minutes to 2 1/2 hours). Appreciate your help.
I'd take 2 1/2 hours no second thoughts. But I'd expect to be at the mercy of the GA with a 1 hour connection. Even if the gates were next to one another, any hangup could have you watching the door close as you get to the gate.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by edvasquez
Dear irishguy28,

Just to let you know, pre-clearance takes (on average) up to 40-45 mins of your time. 3 hours is a bit excessive for a connecting flight.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Airlines also tend to tell all customers to arrive at the airport 3 hours ahead - but then don't follow that advice when they sell connecting tickets.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:12 am

One hour is fine when inbound TATL arrives on time or often early. Just have in the back of your mind that there is a chance you may misconnect. Its the luck of the draw.

2 hours on way back is fine. On one ticket at least you do not have the panic of not being automatically rebooked should you miss the connections.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
TATL flights arrive on time or early, plus the SFO arrival is mid morning DUB is quiet by standards around that time

Plane lands, taxi to gate, 5-10 minutes
Arrives on time per schedule
Get off and get to flight connections 10 minutes tops
Get through security and immigration 10 minutes tops
Walk to gate 10 minutes tops

So 30 minutes from doors open you should be standing at the gate for BRU and odds are they won't even have started to board.

Going the other way USPC is much faster than in 2014 when it could take 40 minutes, APC machines arrived in 2015 and the facility was doubled in size. More APC machines arrived this year.

As we now have APC machines so if a US passport or a ESTA holder who has entered the US with ESTA with the same passport before you use APC and it speeds things up. Global entry also available. My last trip through outbound on the SFO by chance, 5 minutes from entering USPC to being in the US...

Last week I landed 2146, parked at gate 426 (i.e the furthest walk) was standing outside the terminal at 2201 waiting for a bus
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
deleted
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by ROKNA
TATL flights arrive on time or early, plus the SFO arrival is mid morning DUB is quiet by standards around that time

Plane lands, taxi to gate, 5-10 minutes
Arrives on time per schedule
Get off and get to flight connections 10 minutes tops
Get through security and immigration 10 minutes tops
Walk to gate 10 minutes tops
Flight connections have to go through security and immigration? I thought that was the US....
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
You must pass through Irish immigration as the there is no separation between the few domestic flights and others

You might get through without security it depends
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:17 pm
soy

Programs: various
I agree with ROKNA, go for it. Time is sufficient and if any IRROPS, EI are on the hook to sort it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.