Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

US Pre-clerarance in DUB when transiting AUH to JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF QC Silver

Later this year, I am travelling PER-AUH-DUB-JFK. From what I've read, I am assuming that my luggage will only get checked as far as DUB, and that I will need to go through Irish immigration\customs and then collect from baggage claim before re-checking in for DUB-JFK flight. Is this correct?

Thanks in advanced.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
i believe that would be correct although i dont have first hand experience of it.
the CBP in dublin scan the bag and take a pic of it which you must identify when you are going through US pre clearance at DUB, so i think this would mean that you would have to pickup the luggage in DUB from the EY (AUH) flight and then re check it to JFK with Aer Lingus
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

cool Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Provided you have a single ticket to cover the full journey you will not need to reclaim luggage in Dublin as the bag should go straight through

The baggage system in Dublin will detect you have a US destined bag and will photograph it

During CBP you will be shown the photo and asked to confirm it is your luggage, random checks on the luggage may occur but the CBP staff will pull the bag if that is the case

You will have to clear immigration and security in Dublin but customs is at final destination, which will be conducted by US CBP in Dublin as you enter the US in the basement of T2 in Dublin
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that ROKNA. I'd seen YouTube videos of the pre-clearance process in Dublin but only showed passengers check-in at the airport not transiting, so wasn't sure how they could photograph transiting baggage.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Just to be clear there are two security and two immigration checks in Dublin

You have to clear Irish immigration and security at the transfer desk

You then have to clear US security check with the body scanner, then CBP which does customs and immigration in a single go

If you have a ESTA and have previously travelled to the US on ESTA on your current passport you can use the self service machines
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:19 pm

Even if you use the self-service machines you will still have your photograph and prints taken again when at the CBP check..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.