Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ckd38
Just booked JFK-DUB in Y for 13,000 Avios and $30 in taxes for 1/23. Was less than a 10 min phone call and pretty painless. Checked United for availability.

Since my intention was to go to Budapest, booked a $30 Ryanair ticket from DUB-BUD. Way better than using the 22.5k AAdvantage miles JFK-BUD which was my second best option for this route.
Was this booked with EI or BAEC?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Just booked JFK-DUB in Y for 13,000 Avios and $30 in taxes for 1/23. Was less than a 10 min phone call and pretty painless. Checked United for availability.

Since my intention was to go to Budapest, booked a $30 Ryanair ticket from DUB-BUD. Way better than using the 22.5k AAdvantage miles JFK-BUD which was my second best option for this route.
How did you get such a low tax number? I get €86.69?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by MBDublin
Was this booked with EI or BAEC?
BAEC. Called the US phone line on a Wed afternoon and was only on hold for a few min. Friendly, competent agent.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dambus
How did you get such a low tax number? I get €86.69?
Was yours a RT flight? Mine was only one way and what the agent quoted me. Interestingly, if you choose to redeposit the Avios back, they just don't give you back the amount that you paid in taxes. No other penalty.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
BAEC. Called the US phone line on a Wed afternoon and was only on hold for a few min. Friendly, competent agent.
Thanks for clarifying. The €86.69 figure quoted by Dambus is what EI would charge via the Avios website. Similar discrepancies appear on DUB-LHR where BA charges using their RFS is less than the Avios website charges. I imagine that these will be aligned in the future but at the moment using avios for an EI booking to North America is cheaper using BAEC.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:27 pm

Just to confirm the difference between booking on the phone with BAEC and using the Avios.com website, I just used Avios and booked 3 economy tickets on EI for this upcoming August, JFK-DUB-Montpellier, one way. The Avios site was pretty great for showing availability and the taxes they would charge. On Avios.com, taxes for the 3 tickets were US$450. I called BAEC, with a super helpful agent, and the taxes amounted to $203 (total--for all 3 tickets).

And she waived the telephone fee, because these flights had not shown up on the BA website. So--I saved almost $250 just by calling!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by jenae
Just to confirm the difference between booking on the phone with BAEC and using the Avios.com website, I just used Avios and booked 3 economy tickets on EI for this upcoming August, JFK-DUB-Montpellier, one way. The Avios site was pretty great for showing availability and the taxes they would charge. On Avios.com, taxes for the 3 tickets were US$450. I called BAEC, with a super helpful agent, and the taxes amounted to $203 (total--for all 3 tickets).
Was it the same number of Avios?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by gusg
Was it the same number of Avios?
Yes, exact same number of Avios.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: spg
Had to cancel her trip for our family of four Boston to Dublin this summer due to a death in the family. Hoping to rebook it for next summer, obviously need more avios this time! We were traveling on to London for a few days there first, in light of the increase in avios is there a better way to do this? Taxes are so high to fly direct to London on BA, just thought I check with my friends in the know to see if there's anything I should be considering.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know what the off-peak economy price is for this spring using Avios between JFK/BOS and DUB/SNN? I can't seem to pull it up on ba.com.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does anyone know what the off-peak economy price is for this spring using Avios between JFK/BOS and DUB/SNN? I can't seem to pull it up on ba.com.

on avios.com its 26000 + €200 taxes return off peak

AFAIK you won’t get Aer Lingus flights on ba.com but you can book by phone or by avios site.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by preacherirl

on avios.com its 26000 + €200 taxes return off peak

AFAIK you won’t get Aer Lingus flights on ba.com but you can book by phone or by avios site.
Thanks! Does it have to be with Aer Lingus Avios or any Avios (BA, IB, etc) 26k roundtrip is awesome (I know it used to be even better before NYC and BOS were in the same zone). Does the airline operate both flights from SNN during the off-peak period, too?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:23 am

Thanks! Does it have to be with Aer Lingus Avios or any Avios (BA, IB, etc) 26k roundtrip is awesome (I know it used to be even better before NYC and BOS were in the same zone). Does the airline operate both flights from SNN during the off-peak period, too?
Needs to be from avios.com so maybe best way is to set up an aerclub account and transfer avios for free to it from BA, IB etc then book your reward flight. Yes aer lingus operates flights to both Boston and NY from SNN during off peak period (just did a dummy there and award seats still available from both locations in late May, image is just a 1 way example to BOS).

Peak and off peak calendar is here (plus other places) for reference https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/0...vios-calendar/

SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:26 am
soy

Programs: various
Thanks! Does it have to be with Aer Lingus Avios or any Avios (BA, IB, etc) 26k roundtrip is awesome (I know it used to be even better before NYC and BOS were in the same zone).
Does not matter which Avios you use, but BA is often cheaper for taxes and fees, so may make sense to move them to BAEC first.
BAEC taxes should align with ITA Matrix, seems to be a bit of padding in the EI/Avios.com figures
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by soy
Does not matter which Avios you use, but BA is often cheaper for taxes and fees, so may make sense to move them to BAEC first.
BAEC taxes should align with ITA Matrix, seems to be a bit of padding in the EI/Avios.com figures
You have to phone BA to book EI flights through them correct? I reckon you'd want to have the extra charges figure to hand from EI to compare to a BAEC booking anyway. I have heard its charges are cheaper booking with BA over the phone for EI reward flights but in general BA taxes and charges are extremely high on reward flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.