Aegean plans for Olympic Air

Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:47 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: BHD/DUB/PTY
Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Posts: 405
Aegean plans for Olympic Air

What are Aegean's plans for Olympic Air, in the long term? What is the purpose of Aegean having Olympic as a regional airline, instead of having both operations under one brand (Either Aegean or Olympic)?

Aesthetically speaking, Olympic's brand identity and livery is a lot more interesting than Aegean's, even after the rebrand.
AHC96 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:16 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cyprus
Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
Posts: 640
Originally Posted by AHC96
What are Aegean's plans for Olympic Air, in the long term? What is the purpose of Aegean having Olympic as a regional airline, instead of having both operations under one brand (Either Aegean or Olympic)?

Aesthetically speaking, Olympic's brand identity and livery is a lot more interesting than Aegean's, even after the rebrand.
Please see the thread on page 3 below entitled 'Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?'
johnirvine is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:47 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: AMS / ATH
Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Posts: 7,304
Olympic is a very recognizable brand and therefore holds a tremendous value to keep around.

Coincidentally I ran into this oldie video from AMS airport in 1975. That Olympic B727 (I think?) looks great taxiing and taking off (Time = 4:48)

Xandrios is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:04 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Posts: 501
Not giving star golds benefits. Same reason for all subsidiarys with their own flightnumbers.
Yreal is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2020, 3:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,800
As I mentioned before in other threads with a similar topic the brand is still valuable in Greece and some surrounding Balkan markets. Aegean bought the brand to avoid someone else getting it and launching a competitor which could be a threat. Aegean made a smart
move. They keep the brand Domestic and some Balkan markets which feeds the wider Aegean network and also keeps the brand alive to a Domestic audience.

If anyone fancies some retro viewing this is a nice video of the old ATH . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY-7...ature=youtu.be

The current Olympic Air is actually a rebranded Olympic Aviation in terms of fleet and routes served.
lhrpete likes this.
DELLAS is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2020, 10:10 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 2,322
Originally Posted by DELLAS
As I mentioned before in other threads with a similar topic the brand is still valuable in Greece and some surrounding Balkan markets. Aegean bought the brand to avoid someone else getting it and launching a competitor which could be a threat. Aegean made a smart
move. They keep the brand Domestic and some Balkan markets which feeds the wider Aegean network and also keeps the brand alive to a Domestic audience.

If anyone fancies some retro viewing this is a nice video of the old ATH . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY-7...ature=youtu.be

The current Olympic Air is actually a rebranded Olympic Aviation in terms of fleet and routes served.
while it may be valuable, why would that be such a strong value on paper vs. paint on an airplane? with the airbus fleet all painted in A3 but listed as OA flights. Does the Q400 fleet really bring that much brand recognition?
giorginho likes this.
CALMSP is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:30 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,800
Originally Posted by CALMSP
while it may be valuable, why would that be such a strong value on paper vs. paint on an airplane? with the airbus fleet all painted in A3 but listed as OA flights. Does the Q400 fleet really bring that much brand recognition?
There are various uses for it but the main objective was to stop someone else getting it as I already stated .
lhrpete likes this.
DELLAS is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DEL
Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Posts: 2,368
It's still an iconic brand and known well to domestic passengers. It appears the current arrangements work well for Aegean and I don't see that the company needs a plan for something different.
lhrpete and DELLAS like this.
Dan72 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.