Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
PS I'm about to loose (in three months) 480K miles with FB. Let's see if I can fly ST till then...
A bit off-topic, but I thought that one the measures Flying Blue has taken so far is to ensure that no miles expire until the end of 2020. This should give you some more room to fly ST.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: A3*G, LH*FQTV
Originally Posted by sokolov
Just let me buy 4 A3 flights and let's say I flew.
That's actually kinda what SAS is reportedly doing now (see this thread): if you can prove that you had enough *A flights booked to reach Gold, you still get it even if the flights were canceled.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nini_su
That's actually kinda what SAS is reportedly doing now (see this thread): if you can prove that you had enough *A flights booked to reach Gold, you still get it even if the flights were canceled.
Wouldn't that be unfair to members who didn't have flights booked, but had planned to book some more flights before their requalification date?

I think the fairest way is just extending everyone's membership for say 3 months (or longer). It will cost them hardly anything, it's not as if anyone will be using the benefits in the next 3 months anyway!
AlwaysFlyStar, :D! and LiHS like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: A3*G, LH*FQTV
Just stating that they do it like that, not adding a value statement there.

But I think every option will be considered "unfair" by some, so for me it's just to lean back, sip some tea and see what happens (easy to say for me, I just qualified for A3*G in January).
headingwest likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I'm sure A3 like every other company is working out how to turn this to their best advantage.

It may be that they wish to cull some Golds, perhaps ones who never fly A3 at all.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:11 am

I have my A3 flights to go from Silver to Gold, after dropping back to Blue for a couple of years, but short 9624 miles to earn by the end of November. Fares should be cheaper for a while once airlines start flying more again, but no telling when that will be...
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Archon1995
I have my A3 flights to go from Silver to Gold, after dropping back to Blue for a couple of years, but short 9624 miles to earn by the end of November. Fares should be cheaper for a while once airlines start flying more again, but no telling when that will be...
in similar situation (need 11 500 miles till 14.9 )) we will see...
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I'm sure A3 like every other company is working out how to turn this to their best advantage.

It may be that they wish to cull some Golds, perhaps ones who never fly A3 at all.
With the (un)employment picture, the savings wipe-out, and the now-in-vogue changed business/social practices lingering around for a while even after things open up again, culling of the elite ranks will be unnecessary in the main as nature will have taken its course (in the absence of intervention from the Pantheon of Gods).
MrArkadin likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by KLouis
Help for what? Why the rush? Nobody, not even epidemiologists specialized in Coronaviridae would dare make a prognosis on how long this "business" with the pandemic will last for. So, let's wait and see, and if we're not satisfied with whatever they decide, than let's start second-guessing at that point (or, better, at the end of the pandemic).

PS I'm about to loose (in three months) 480K miles with FB. Let's see if I can fly ST till then...
So, "help" was the wrong word: it was a euphemism. And why the rush? My Gold expires in a week. Like others, I had flights planned months ago to fulfill qualification that I didn't end up taking.

Originally Posted by headingwest
Wouldn't that be unfair to members who didn't have flights booked, but had planned to book some more flights before their requalification date?

I think the fairest way is just extending everyone's membership for say 3 months (or longer). It will cost them hardly anything, it's not as if anyone will be using the benefits in the next 3 months anyway!
Hear hear!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Might as wel go for it.

ams-ath-tll for 2 segments and 2100 milles
tll-arn-hel 2400 milles
hel-cph-ams 2400 Milles

done and done. Worst case I don't go. Medium case, sas still has that Norwegian gin. Best case everything goes back to normal.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:28 am

Have you considered lounge access through Diner's or Amex, or even Priority Pass? It is probably more interesting, money-wise.
You could as well buy an extra checked-in luggage when needed, and spare yourself this hassle.

This trip would release as much CO2 as the average total emissions of an Indonesian citizen for a year. Or as much as 10 citizens of Madagascar for a year.
For nothing!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LacMajeur
Have you considered lounge access through Diner's or Amex, or even Priority Pass? It is probably more interesting, money-wise.
You could as well buy an extra checked-in luggage when needed, and spare yourself this hassle.

Disagreed. This would just be my summer vacation for the year.
This trip would release as much CO2 as the average total emissions of an Indonesian citizen for a year. Or as much as 10 citizens of Madagascar for a year.
For nothing!
Then lets ban leisure travel all togther. I like going to athens, i have never been to Tallin and love the food scene in helsinki. Its not like economy on greece depends on tourisme...

Oh wait, it is.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:01 am

I am serious. It's not about leisure travel or your summer vacation. It's not about tourism or the Greek economy.
It's about willingly release tons more of CO2 to get status.

AMS-TLL is 914 miles.
AMS-ATH-TLL is 2.838 miles.

TLL-HEL is 62 miles.
TLL-ARN-HEL is 489 miles.

Even if we suppose that nobody here gives a damn about the next generation or the ecosystem, Diner's, Amex, or Priority Pass might be cost-efficient solutions, worth considering.
Cookoovaya likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LacMajeur
I am serious. It's not about leisure travel or your summer vacation. It's not about tourism or the Greek economy.
It's about willingly release tons more of CO2 to get status.

AMS-TLL is 914 miles.
AMS-ATH-TLL is 2.838 miles.

TLL-HEL is 62 miles.
TLL-ARN-HEL is 489 miles.

Even if we suppose that nobody here gives a damn about the next generation or the ecosystem, Diner's, Amex, or Priority Pass might be cost-efficient solutions, worth considering.

You forget i actualy like going to Athens. The only actual detour i'm taking here would be TLL-HEL via ARN. But then again, the price is much higher to fly direct.

And me going to greece and spending monney helps their economy. regardles of it being the reason i go.

Are you giving this talk to anyone going to greece for fun?

And no, I dont want a priority pass. Upgrading my amex would cost me 500 / year extra. Much more then taking a vacation to greece.
:D! and eugnk like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
This is a very good argument for status for free. Anyone who has held Gold status for 2 years, should get lifetime Gold!
irishguy28, LacMajeur and romans like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.