Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Increase In Award Ticket Prices [confirmed]

Increase In Award Ticket Prices [confirmed]

Old Nov 25, 19, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I've been waiting for LH F to open up for my early christmas trip. Seems like if this was only a week from now, I could have booked it. Since I'm 3 weeks out, well, sucks for me. I can either buy the miles or fly biz. Disappointing that there wasn't any notice.
Old Nov 25, 19, 3:20 pm

Oh, my!

M&B has been a great program for status, but for a long time it's been a terrible program for awards due to:

1. Low earnings in many classes.
2. The ridiculous rule of maximum two flights per one-way award.
3. The even worse rule about no mixed classes.
4. Low availability for award seats for several airlines.
5. Often very high fuel surcharges.

With this sudden raise in award mileage, M&B is now a horrible program for award redemptions. Maybe it's time to move away from M&B to some other program.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 3:28 pm

No why interasia incrise....

Why Christmas must be ruin by Aegean ....
I was looking for 4 pax redemtion 21k each
Old Nov 25, 19, 3:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, IB
Originally Posted by RedChili View Post
Oh, my!

M&B has been a great program for status, but for a long time it's been a terrible program for awards due to:

With this sudden raise in award mileage, M&B is now a horrible program for award redemptions. Maybe it's time to move away from M&B to some other program.
I really hope that A3 are re-considering their policies (no stopover, not more than 2 flights, charge 2 awards if only Y is available on one segment of your C award) and are trying to get more award space on other *A airlines with this increase. And I also hope for a very attractive Black Friday deal for buying miles.

Last edited by EAPflyer; Nov 25, 19 at 3:56 pm Reason: The most stupid thing to do
Old Nov 25, 19, 3:42 pm

Dxb-lhr J now 30k 5kmore

I will fly it in few days.....

India-Europa Y 35k 5k more

Small increases

But Asia huge over 50% for J
Old Nov 25, 19, 4:44 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So there are bad news and good news here, the bad news is they just devalued the chart, the good news is that you can buy the miles back in the upcoming, I am guessing, Black Friday sale...

This is what we call a win-win situation, they win, and then they win again...
intuition, :D! and East_and_West like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:37 pm

Programs: Alaska
Black Friday big sales coming, so they have to devalue now.
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:41 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Garimi View Post
Dxb-lhr J now 30k 5kmore

I will fly it in few days.....

India-Europa Y 35k 5k more

Small increases

But Asia huge over 50% for J
Wonder if Asia is a typo. 50% seems unreal.
Old Nov 25, 19, 6:06 pm

It's funny how Far east got screwed badly meanwhile other region such as South America which is pretty much the same size remains on the old table..
Old Nov 25, 19, 7:05 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by mylabel View Post
It's funny how Far east got screwed badly meanwhile other region such as South America which is pretty much the same size remains on the old table..
there are 7 *A member airlines in Far East. SQ/TG/BR/NH/OZ/CA/ZH

it is very easy to redeem Intra-Far East.

A3 loses money or earns much less for this route.
giorginho likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Oh the horror of this news. Based in Tokyo, this is devastating news. So sad.
Old Nov 26, 19, 1:14 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
The big question is, how does Aegean handle changes to existing award tickets?
Will simple date changes (on the same route) be accompanied by an additional mileage-charge now (for tickets issued under the old chart)?
I would be surprised if it it isn't according to the new chart. It's like fare prices going up: rebooking an existing ticket prices according to the new price.

Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
Well if only they could have at least given a day or two's notice...
That is not very nice, I was going to book an intra-Far East award
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Scummy move. Giving even a few weeks advance notice would have been the decent thing to do.
This kind of move without any advance notice before implementation is not a good indicator for the future of this program for its customers. It also makes me wonder what economic pressures Aegean felt now that they needed to rush this change in now just a few weeks before the calendar end and do so with no advance notice to its customers.

This kind of airline move most intensely punishes the airline’s most loyal customers that accumulated and maintained the biggest balances of points in the program.
Perfectly agreed, it's not the most honest behavior towards one's loyalty base. Yet I don't blame A3 for that. Giving heads up about an imminent devaluation would by large beat the very purpose of it. One can see miles as a form of currency, and if a currency depreciation is announced beforehand, it won't be as effective. About a year ago SK also changed their *A award chart to the worse without any warning whatsoever.

Originally Posted by 747jetter View Post
Seems like my redemption last week on NH F LAX-HND-LHR was well timed. Increasing is bad but it has been for years the best program to use miles with. Agree they could give some notice in advance. Ugh...will need to count if this is still the most generous FFP then.
Originally Posted by Cookoovaya View Post
I fixed it for you.
Yes, in sheer mileage terms it is very generous, especially compared to SK's Eurobonus. In the very end however it's not. Too many restrictions, excessively high YQs. RedChili sums it up in excellently:

Originally Posted by RedChili View Post

1. Low earnings in many classes.
2. The ridiculous rule of maximum two flights per one-way award.
3. The even worse rule about no mixed classes.
4. Low availability for award seats for several airlines.
5. Often very high fuel surcharges.

If these factors are taken into account, it's very far from being the most generous. Plus that LH P which I fly a lot earns no miles (although I understand that this is personal, and not many people care about that).

When I switched to M&B I intended it to be my major FFP, and kept my EB account as a mileage bank (and for crediting LH P fares, and certain UA fares). Yet I since last year I have been gradually shifting back to EB, mainly for redemption purposes. Although I plan to keep my A3*G, it won't be my focus FFP anymore, as it has lost a lot of its past attractiveness

Just to sum up all enhancements in M&B since 2017:

1. Discount voucher for partner's ticket on domestic routes evaporated into thin air.
2. Free ASR for A3*S/A3*Gs enhanced into a 50% discount.
3. Mixed class redemptions no longer available.
4. Award chart devaluation.

Am I forgetting something? Anyway for some reason I am pretty confident that the above list will expand in 2020...
Gnopps and yurtripper like this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 1:31 am

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
This increase was inevitable given that most other *A carriers have recently increased their award mileage charges, while some have moved to usurious dynamic pricing. Aegean has to purchase mileage from other airlines for non-A3 tickets and it was impossible for them to maintain an award chart that provided certain redemption tickets for half the mileage compared to some other airlines. TK is currently in the same situation with Miles and Smiles, with the result that I class redemptions on most routes are impossible unless booked on TK (and then only on economy revenue tickets upgraded to J rather than I). For sure, an enhancement of the requalification levels for A3*G will also be coming soon. In my view, the Aegean award chart is still relatively competitive compared to most other *A carriers.
Old Nov 26, 19, 1:54 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by johnirvine View Post
For sure, an enhancement of the requalification levels for A3*G will also be coming soon.
I wouldn't mind that as long as they made A3*S at least marginally meaningful, and improved A3*G along the lines of other *A carriers (free seat selection, Gold lounge, giveaway Silver, etc). Yet I am afraid that although I can see the (re)qualification requirements increasing sometime in the not-so-distant future, I am much less certain that it will be accompanied by such new benefits...

Originally Posted by johnirvine View Post
In my view, the Aegean award chart is still relatively competitive compared to most other *A carriers.
Again, that's true, but only on the surface and in nominal miles terms. If you consider all the strings attached, and on top of that account for the much higher surcharges, this does not seem to be the case any more.
Old Nov 26, 19, 2:01 am

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
I would be surprised if it it isn't according to the new chart. It's like fare prices going up: rebooking an existing ticket prices according to the new price.

Perfectly agreed, it's not the most honest behavior towards one's loyalty base. Yet I don't blame A3 for that. Giving heads up about an imminent devaluation would by large beat the very purpose of it. One can see miles as a form of currency, and if a currency depreciation is announced beforehand, it won't be as effective. About a year ago SK also changed their *A award chart to the worse without any warning whatsoever.

Yes, in sheer mileage terms it is very generous, especially compared to SK's Eurobonus. In the very end however it's not. Too many restrictions, excessively high YQs. RedChili sums it up in excellently:

If these factors are taken into account, it's very far from being the most generous. Plus that LH P which I fly a lot earns no miles (although I understand that this is personal, and not many people care about that).

When I switched to M&B I intended it to be my major FFP, and kept my EB account as a mileage bank (and for crediting LH P fares, and certain UA fares). Yet I since last year I have been gradually shifting back to EB, mainly for redemption purposes. Although I plan to keep my A3*G, it won't be my focus FFP anymore, as it has lost a lot of its past attractiveness

Just to sum up all enhancements in M&B since 2017:

1. Discount voucher for partner's ticket on domestic routes evaporated into thin air.
2. Free ASR for A3*S/A3*Gs enhanced into a 50% discount.
3. Mixed class redemptions no longer available.
4. Award chart devaluation.

Am I forgetting something? Anyway for some reason I am pretty confident that the above list will expand in 2020...
For you and also for me, the recent enhancement by Lufthansa to its Miles and More program has been fantastic since realistic tier points are now awarded for the cheapest K/L/T (economy) and P (business) tickets. Now, SEN can be attained, for example, with 12 highly discounted four-sector intra-Europe P tickets via FRA/MUC/VIE. Unlike Aegean, LH Group airlines offer free priority seating to their gold cardholders and also routinely block middle seats in economy. Making Miles and More my central FFP program is thus a no-brainer from 2021. However, as long as Aegean continues to offer giveaway *G cards, I will remain a member of Miles and Bonus.
yurtripper likes this.

Search this Thread