FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Increase In Award Ticket Prices [confirmed]
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:01 am
johnirvine

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by East_and_West
I would be surprised if it it isn't according to the new chart. It's like fare prices going up: rebooking an existing ticket prices according to the new price.

Perfectly agreed, it's not the most honest behavior towards one's loyalty base. Yet I don't blame A3 for that. Giving heads up about an imminent devaluation would by large beat the very purpose of it. One can see miles as a form of currency, and if a currency depreciation is announced beforehand, it won't be as effective. About a year ago SK also changed their *A award chart to the worse without any warning whatsoever.

Yes, in sheer mileage terms it is very generous, especially compared to SK's Eurobonus. In the very end however it's not. Too many restrictions, excessively high YQs. RedChili sums it up in excellently:

If these factors are taken into account, it's very far from being the most generous. Plus that LH P which I fly a lot earns no miles (although I understand that this is personal, and not many people care about that).

When I switched to M&B I intended it to be my major FFP, and kept my EB account as a mileage bank (and for crediting LH P fares, and certain UA fares). Yet I since last year I have been gradually shifting back to EB, mainly for redemption purposes. Although I plan to keep my A3*G, it won't be my focus FFP anymore, as it has lost a lot of its past attractiveness

Just to sum up all enhancements in M&B since 2017:

1. Discount voucher for partner's ticket on domestic routes evaporated into thin air.
2. Free ASR for A3*S/A3*Gs enhanced into a 50% discount.
3. Mixed class redemptions no longer available.
4. Award chart devaluation.

Am I forgetting something? Anyway for some reason I am pretty confident that the above list will expand in 2020...
For you and also for me, the recent enhancement by Lufthansa to its Miles and More program has been fantastic since realistic tier points are now awarded for the cheapest K/L/T (economy) and P (business) tickets. Now, SEN can be attained, for example, with 12 highly discounted four-sector intra-Europe P tickets via FRA/MUC/VIE. Unlike Aegean, LH Group airlines offer free priority seating to their gold cardholders and also routinely block middle seats in economy. Making Miles and More my central FFP program is thus a no-brainer from 2021. However, as long as Aegean continues to offer giveaway *G cards, I will remain a member of Miles and Bonus.