Search

SkyGreece

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
SkyGreece

I noticed a beautiful B767 parked in Athens the last few times that I passed through there. Doing some research, it turns out to belong to SkyGreece, a new airline planning to operate flights between ATH and various US cities (JFK, ORD, YYZ).

Does anybody have any information about their plans and schedules? It would make sense that they would cooperate with A3, in order to provide domestic flights to the islands. In which case we might also see an A3 codeshare, and gain a number of nonstop US destinations. Which would be great since there are few to no nonstop US flights at this moment.

So far their (only?) plane is sitting at ATH, and their website provides no info. Would be sad to see this die even before it starts - because it needs to start soon in order to pick up some 2014 holiday traffic..

Anybody knows more about them?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
https://www.facebook.com/SkyGreeceAirlines
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
various US cities (JFK, ORD, YYZ)
YYZ is not in the US. Is Canada a popular destination for Greeks?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_d...a#Demographics
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
YYZ is not in the US. Is Canada a popular destination for Greeks?
The americas. Canada is indeed a (very) popular destination. It has a huge number of Greeks that immigrated there.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:34 am

The company's founders are all Greek-Canadian. Given A3's *A membership, my feeling is that we'll not see any kind of close collaboration between the two airlines anytime soon. Of course, this is not based on real info, just a gut feeling. If you read in the Internet the different articles on the airline, most of which in Greek, you'll find several unconfirmed pieces of information, such as their plans to start flying last May. That is already a substantial delay, but no reasons can be found. Given the number of Greek airlines that went out of business over the last few years (not counting the three "eaten" by A3), I am not particularly optimistic.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:47 am

They have been promoting on FB for a while now. I saw one of their B767s at IST back in Dec.

So far they seem to have got their heads screwed on so time will tell. There was talk at the start about A3 links but then it all went quiet.

Whatever they do they need to make sure they offer a decent service which will make the Greek Diaspora and tourists alike ditch the usuals and hubs to travel to Athens and vv. Doing that and making a profit will be tough but I wish them luck anyway as it would be nice to see a stable Greek airline with key USA/Canada routes.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

From what I have seen they only have one single aircraft, currently parked at ATH. However it is in fact ready to fly as they are doing testflights every now and then. That sounds like a waste of money, not executing any flights (Keeping an aircraft and its pilots air-worthy is very expensive).

I think working with A3 for connecting island flights is crucial for them. Few Greeks living abroad actually have their family living in Athens - most will be outside of the city. That last hop to a regional airport will be very important.

Also tourists visiting Greece will most likely not (only) want to visit Athens. Especially Santorini and Crete are very popular with American tourists. Making them arrange transport to these locations from Athens themselves would be a big let down.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:51 pm

Yes they did a run down to RHO the other day.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:09 am

SkyGreece Airlines have now received the permits to fly to Canada. According to
http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...ks-to-toronto/
they will offer flights from Athens, Thessaloniki, Budapest and Zagreb to Toronto. There will also be a seasonal service from Athens to Montreal. Athens-Toronto will be all year round.

There are also plans to connect Athens with New York. Did A3 miss an opportunity there?

Are you aware of any indications of SkyGreence price levels?

I really hope they can establish themselves. I've seen so many airlines try and fail...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
SkyGreece Airlines have now received the permits to fly to Canada. According to
http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...ks-to-toronto/
they will offer flights from Athens, Thessaloniki, Budapest and Zagreb to Toronto. There will also be a seasonal service from Athens to Montreal. Athens-Toronto will be all year round.
Single plane: a recipe for accumulating delays and cancellations!

There are also plans to connect Athens with New York. Did A3 miss an opportunity there?
A3 has been expanding within Europe (with a few flights into the Middle East). I guess they must have considered TATL flights and the decided against them for the time being.

Are you aware of any indications of SkyGreence price levels?
Nope

I really hope they can establish themselves. I've seen so many airlines try and fail...
As I wrote in this thread about one year ago, I've seen lots of Greek airlines folding over the lest two decades.

Last edited by KLouis; Feb 14, 2015 at 9:51 am
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:23 pm

I believe a second aircraft is on the way they certainly have come further than I thought they would so now we just wait and see how long it lasts but KUDOS to them for coming this far ^
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
SkyGreece is supposedly starting JFK-ATH on 19 June. However not available for sale on their site(although flights from Canada are)......and no indication about the additional equipment in the fleet.

Last edited by RUAMKZ; Apr 28, 2015 at 5:52 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
From what I have seen they only have one single aircraft, currently parked at ATH. However it is in fact ready to fly as they are doing testflights every now and then. That sounds like a waste of money, not executing any flights (Keeping an aircraft and its pilots air-worthy is very expensive).
Earlier, they did fly some charters to Africa(Somalia and Eritrea) on flights originating in London and Stockholm via ATH. This was on behalf of a travel agency.

And a brief period, they flew contract flights on behalf of Royal Air Maroc.

Last edited by RUAMKZ; Apr 28, 2015 at 5:44 pm Reason: too wordy
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:21 am

nightmare

Would highly recommend avoiding SkyGreece.

Delays and cancellations. Leaving you stranded without a flight home.
They offer you a full refund on flights that they cancel, then ignore you and avoid all communication with you when you request for the refund.

Then, expect to pay another airline to get you home.

Negative feedback and questions on Facebook are regularily deleted by SkyGreece.
They cannot seem to delete the negative Reviews however. (Possibly a Facebook restriction?) Check the reviews there to see many travellers stranded without any refund and experiencing terrible customer service.
Save yourself from a ruined, very expensive vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.