Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

FAQ No.2 for Aegean Miles & Bonus: Aegean *Gold Card Crash-Course

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ No.2 for Aegean Miles & Bonus: Aegean *Gold Card Crash-Course

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Yeah... As long as you are crediting 4k miles per year, you should stay at gold. If you manage to push for Gold, then you'll only need 1 flight per year, not 4k miles - and the miles never expire, so you can actually bank them for an award...
I don't understand? How does 4K/year lead to Gold status? You get 1K for signing up, then you could credit 3K that year to get to *S, and then you still need 16K the following year to get Star Gold, right?

Also, I clearly failed because *S doesn't give you free bags throughout Star Alliance. Obviously I suck.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:32 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It is a typo. PVDtoDEL meant silver, naturally.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mabramovich
I don't understand? How does 4K/year lead to Gold status? You get 1K for signing up, then you could credit 3K that year to get to *S, and then you still need 16K the following year to get Star Gold, right?
Originally Posted by intuition
It is a typo. PVDtoDEL meant silver, naturally.
Yep, I meant *S. My bad.
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Also, I clearly failed because *S doesn't give you free bags throughout Star Alliance. Obviously I suck.
Yeah, *S only gives free bags on USA based carriers as far as I know.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Yeah... As long as you are crediting 4k miles per year, you should stay at silver. If you manage to push for Gold, then you'll only need 1 flight per year, not 4k miles - and the miles never expire, so you can actually bank them for an award...
From my understanding if you want yout blue status not to expire you only need 1 flight every 365*3 days - same as for Gold. Those 4k status miles you earned to get blue will never expire unless account is closed - which is done if there is no activity for 36 months
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Egor
From my understanding if you want yout blue status not to expire you only need 1 flight every 365*3 days - same as for Gold. Those 4k status miles you earned to get blue will never expire unless account is closed - which is done if there is no activity for 36 months
Huh - then we have different understandings. All miles expire after 1 year in a blue account.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA
Registration Error

I cannot seem to register at the Miles&Bonus page. Can one of you please check and let me know if you get the same problem?

Thanks
john
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Egor
To clarify, the 4000 status miles used to become *Silver or Blue are deducted from your status miles balance when you achieve this level.

There was also some discussion here regarding the case where Gold is not then reached within a year and whether the requirement then changes from 16000 to 20000 status miles for Gold. Unfortunately, I don't remember the conclusions about the fine points of timing.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 17, 2012 at 3:22 am
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:26 am

I'm looking into geting A3*G but would like to know how many miles I would get from HEL-LAX-HEL on economy & would it give enough to make it to gold? Will economy even count at all?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Huh - then we have different understandings. All miles expire after 1 year in a blue account.
Well, they were not in schedule for expiration while I had blue status. But all miles in excess of that 4k do really expire
Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iamife
I'm looking into geting A3*G but would like to know how many miles I would get from HEL-LAX-HEL on economy & would it give enough to make it to gold? Will economy even count at all?
It depends on the fare class. The Aegean website gives a bunch of tables of earnings on various *A carriers by fare class.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:44 pm

I have an interesting data point. I recently flew 3100 miles (first miles to my account after initial 1000 enrollment miles) and when the miles posted to my account it showed I have 4100 tier miles and 3100 miles are set to expire in 1 year. It's not showing me as Blue anywhere when I log in or on the print card option. Perhaps this will change after a few days. I'm still waiting for my outbound miles to post to my account.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:09 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by bryceb
I have an interesting data point. I recently flew 3100 miles (first miles to my account after initial 1000 enrollment miles) and when the miles posted to my account it showed I have 4100 tier miles and 3100 miles are set to expire in 1 year. It's not showing me as Blue anywhere when I log in or on the print card option. Perhaps this will change after a few days. I'm still waiting for my outbound miles to post to my account.
In my case, from flights taken on 1st March the miles posted on 5th March and the status changed to Blue overnight, being updated on 6th March.

I no longer have to ability to print a member card - only request a replacement.

Somewhere between a US flight on 8th March and a BD flight on 17th March this propagated through the *A database because my boarding passes starting showing A3*S.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:26 pm

Looks like I spoke too soon. My status changed to Blue overnight and my points set to expire changed to 100 (keeping 4000). I'm happy to see the system working as advertised.

Now I just have to wait for my retro claim points to show up.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC E75; A3 *G; SPG PLAT; NEXUS
Originally Posted by RudderDucky
I took a trip from the US back to Europe on AC and credited all the miles to my A3 account, which tipped me over the edge to make 20k for A3*G. At check-in, I changed everything to my A3 number and continued to use my UA*G to get waivers on bag fees and lounge access. I accessed the Maple Leaf Lounges in both Montreal and Toronto by having A3*S printed on the boarding pass and showing my UA*G card. Nobody said anything about a different number on my boarding pass as opposed to my *G card. The check-in agent even said to make sure that I hold on to my UA*G card so that I got my lounge benefits, so it seems to me AC has no problems using one number to credit to, and the other to get the benefits from.
Oh Boy - here goes.....well it certainly seems to depend on which Dragon you encounter with AC. Here is my recent experience:

Leaving YOW-YYZ-FRA-ARN with confirmed upgrade on the YYZ-FRA portion.
Checkin online - get bag tagged at YOW, and then ask about revising FF Plan to credit the miles to A3. (I am Elite on AP, but new to A3).

- the checkin agent puts her hand on the *G priority bag tag and informs me that if I want to change the program I am crediting my miles to, then I lose the priority sticker for my bags - and BTW there is a pilots job action today - so the connection is gonna be really tight at YYZ.

- I feel like I have no option - so say yes keep it on AP to keep the priority tag on the bag.

- flight is delayed - lots of pilots phoned in sick....so I go to the MLL.

- while waiting there - I ask about revising my FFP to credit my filght miles to A3.....the agent there says yes no problem - we will cancel your J upgrade, and seat you in Y....do you still want to change the accumulation to another *A partner ?

- this is not a great option - so no - I leave it on AP....(this I can agree with since I am getting an upgrade, and not just getting luggage handling based on last yea's flying).

- over to FRA.....at the LH lounge, waiting to connect to ARN, I ask the person at the desk if I can update my FFP....surprise !! NO Problem.....give her the new number, she updates and prints new boarding pass, and doesn't threaten to kick me out of the lounge (even though I am there based on my prevous year's flying).

So....switching programs is not that easy....and the agents seem to make up the rules on the fly.

My experience so far...will see how it goes for the trip home...
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:19 pm

is there any requirement to fly on Aegean metal to qualify for Blue or Gold? If I just fly entirely on *A flights but not Aegean, will I still qualify?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.