Pullman Kuching

Pullman Kuching

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Pullman Kuching

1a Jalan Mathies Sarawak Kuching, MY 93100

Pullman Kuching (11 Photos)

Pullman Kuching

Hello everyone

Since there's no thread on this, I decided to start a new one. I've been staying here for only one night so far (more to come), but already I have too much to write about it for it to fit in the „Post your experiences“ thread.

Before the stay

I initially booked 2 separate nights at the Pullman Kuching, about one week apart from each other in January.

Usually I send a quick email after a booking, to inquire/inform them about check-in times and, oh so subtly, ask them about Platinum benefits - so I know what to expert. The first email to the Pullman Kuching got no reply, a second mail a few weeks later was answered swiftly though. There I was kindly informed that I would get an automatic upgrade to a suite room upon check in and showing my membership card. This would include lounge benefits. I was happy enough and left it at that.

Getting to the hotel from the airport

Getting to the property was no problem. There's a fix rate for taxis from the airport (26 MYR, about 7 USD), and they knew immediately what I was talking about when mentioning the Pullman. So far so good. The ride took about 10 minutes or so.

Check In

The hotel lobby is big and kept in mainly white tones. This makes it look very "modern", but a bit sterile...
When approaching the accor priority check in, they pointed to another free check in desk because the priority check-in person was just about to go, no problem with that. However, that's when it went downhill a bit.
After a lot of typing and fondling, I was informed that my requested room "high up" (I assumed that was the suite mentioned in the email) was not available, only "twin bed rooms high up". I accepted the lower floor, since I'd rather have a big bed than a good view.
I was then informed of breakfast in the restaurant, and that's it. My question for where the lounge was at was answered with a hesitant "22nd floor...".

The Superior Rooms

When getting to my room on 7th floor, it was quite obvious that this wasn't particularly well prepared for me - my fault I guessed, since I asked for the king bed lower down rather than a twin higher up... However, the patch of water on the safe and the lack of any kind of stationary did make me a bit suspicious. Also, the minibar was empty. The bathroom was spacious though with pullman-branded amenities, shower and bathtub.

From the size of the room it became very clear, that this was a superior room, the lowest room class. At around 38sqm (according to the website) they were still spacious enough. I took it the other rooms were indeed all booked, so obviously an upgrade would fall flat. No biggie.

A note on the internet: You need your room number and an individual password to log in to the internet …. and you only get 500 MB per day (renewed at 2pm every day). Once you run out of data volume, you can buy more (25 MYR for 2gb, 50MYR for 5gb). Internet in the lounge is free and unlimited though. More on that later on..

Then I got a call…

…From the reception (not from the receptionist that checked me in though). I was informed that I was apparently a platinum member (as if the card I handed to them at check in wasn’t a good enough indicator…) and had lounge privileges. Someone would come up to bring me new room key which would allow me to access the lounge on 22nd floor and have cocktails and breakfast up there. I should’ve gotten slightly suspicious at that point, but I was just impressed that this was noticed and swiftly rectified .
The new room cards that were brought to me also included a welcome drink voucher for 2 pax (for „mocktails“ though, so I didn’t use them).

The Lounge

Evening cocktails are from 6pm to 7:30pm. I ventured to the lounge and was rather impressed. The lounge area is huge, the buffet nicely stocked with some warm bites, fruits, salad and dessert. And it was empty. Somewhere hidden in there was an attendant who sprang to action when he saw me. When he heard my room number on the 7th floor, he seemed a bit surprised, but still asked me to sit down somewhere and enjoy the buffet.  for that, he’d rather make a guest feel at home than appearing suspicious. He checked and probably noticed that I was indeed granted lounge access and brought me the drinks card. On it were the usual spirits (gin, vodka, johnny walker black and others) and softdrinks/juices. There was no list of mixed drinks, but my requested G&T was quickly brought to my table. 
Here some impressions from the food. The meatballs were lovely, if a bit dry. The croquettes were great as well. Since I’m a chocolate lover, the dessert part of the buffet was particularly nice for me. Especially that huge warm chocolate cake with chocolate sauce next to it… my oh my  

The buffet seemed untouched when I arrived there around 6:20pm, and during my 1 hour stay in there, only one other guest came in. Hardly noticeable since the lounge is so huge and she sat down somewhere on the other end.

… *droool*

Worth mentioning is the lounge attendant. He had that rare quality of being very personable yet totally unintrusive. He was almost not to be seen while eating, but whenever my glass got down to about 1/5th full, he would appear at my side to ask if I needed more. Great guy .

Lounge breakfast review will follow…..

When I got back to my room in the evening it was just as I left it - in other words: no turndown service here.

Breakfast in the Downstairs Restaurant

Due to a bad experience considering breakfast-spread in another pullman (restaurant breakfast choices huge, lounge breakfast very sad selection), I opted to eat in the downstairs restaurant on the first day. Breakfast buffet was nice with everything you’d expect from such a hotel. Egg station, Noodle station, bread, some warm dishes (sausages, beef bacon, baked beans fried rice etc.). Nothing to write home about, nothing to complain about. Will try lounge breakfast tomorrow. 

Room change

The next morning I decided to stay another night since there was more to see and do in the city, and thanks to the private sale, room prices were really low. I went to reception and inquired about the possibility of a new room, I might have even mentioned the word upgrade…. I was informed that my room booked for the end of the week was already upgraded to a deluxe room (so maybe that’s what was meant in the email) and that she would check if there was a room ready for me to upgrade immediately. When I asked if they were rather full the night before, it hit me: „No, very low occupancy“… pardon?! She didn’t seem to get the hint that I was a bit surprised not to have gotten a room upgrade then, but I was given an executive deluxe room on 21st floor. I also inquired if the internet was still limited to 500MB. She said that it indeed was, but just to give reception a call when I run out and they’d reset it. Now that’s what I expect! 

So, I didn’t complain further since I did get what I wanted and should be granted due to status, but it did make me curious. The check in lady who greeted me this time seemed generally more professional than the check in lady from the day before. When googling for Pullman Kuching and her name, I found that I wasn’t the only person having had an unpleasant experience with this lady. 

Now, I’m not one to mention names, but if you find yourself in the Pullman Kuching and being checked in by someone named after a recently split African country, be wary, and ask for a supervisor if necessary. She was friendly, but clearly had no clue and/or no interest in granting status pax any other experience than non-status pax. Not very nice. I wouldn’t have minded asking for an upgrade myself rather than it being automatic, but informing me that there were no other rooms available with a king size other than in the lower floors was clearly indicative of a fully booked hotel, wouldn’t you agree? IF there was anything better available, I would’ve expected to be informed about that considering my status. 

Executive Deluxe Room

The deluxe room was much much nicer, with a sofa, bigger bathroom and bois d’orange amenities. Also, the internet from the lounge could be used, so no restriction anymore and no need to call reception once I run out. Lovely! And they actually had pens in the room - and there was stuff in the minibar! I didn’t bother making pictures of the superior room, but here are some from the deluxe room:

I got a call again from reception, just to make sure I liked my new room. Now that was a nice touch. There ARE great receptionists at this hotel, just not all of them.

First impressions..

Clearly not off to a very good start but slowly redeeming itself. I haven’t yet had anything like a personal welcome letter, or any other platinum goodies in the room itself apart from the welcome mocktails. I also haven’t yet really had the sense that anyone felt even slightly sorry about a platinum member being treated like that. I don’t want to sound like a DYKWIA and I’m not feeling personally offended or too bothered by anything here (especially considering I got the rooms during a private sale for a very low price), but I think from a pullman one could and should expect more. 

With that said, the rooms seem generally ok with even the lowest room category feeling quite spacious, everything is clean and the lounge is really good.

Sorry for the incoherent rambling at times, but I hope you get a sense of what to expect :=)

Pullman Kuching

Would you like to write a review on the Pullman Kuching?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Pullman Kuching

The 3 Pullmans in Malaysia and the Novotel in KL seem, in my opinion, to have the worst member recognition understanding in SE Asia. It also seems to me that they they operate on a different planet. I agree there are some staff who make a stay overall enjoyable; however management is often nowhere to be seen and this trickles through to to FOH staff.

Until middle of last year, the Pullman Kuching had no GM. The GM was moved to the Pullman Bangsar. I don't know if in the meantime there is a GM in Kuching!
Further talking to some of the senior management in Indonesia, it seems that the Pullman Kuching has "some issues", but I was never divulged what they were.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
The 3 Pullmans in Malaysia and the Novotel in KL seem, in my opinion, to have the worst member recognition understanding in SE Asia. It also seems to me that they they operate on a different planet. I agree there are some staff who make a stay overall enjoyable; however management is often nowhere to be seen and this trickles through to to FOH staff.

Until middle of last year, the Pullman Kuching had no GM. The GM was moved to the Pullman Bangsar. I don't know if in the meantime there is a GM in Kuching!
Further talking to some of the senior management in Indonesia, it seems that the Pullman Kuching has "some issues", but I was never divulged what they were.
Good to know. Maybe I'll ask for the GM tomorrow to have a little chat, we'll see whom they set me up with then...
In other news, someone seems to monitor flyertalk, as they brought a bowl of fruit about an hour after posting this thread Things are definitely starting improve.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks a lot for your post, zehbra! I just finished five nights there, checking out on Jan 9, so I just missed you. My overall impression is generally the same as yours, fine rooms, lounge and food offerings, not good front desk service.

We checked in for a two-night stay on Jan 2, spent two nights in Bako National Park (highly recommend) and then another three nights back at the Pullman.

When we checked in for our first stay, the agent (youngish guy) hardly said a word to us. I asked him to confirm that the reservation had my platinum status, which he did with an obnoxious "don't worry." Since he continued to be uncommunicative, I picked up the Le Club pamphlet in front of him and read him all of the listed platinum benefits, which he sort of acknowledged. And about the welcome drink, he said it would be in the lounge. Not a big deal that I didn't get the vouchers since there was plenty to drink in the lounge but that's not up to the agent to decide. We were however given a deluxe room on the 21st floor.

Check-in for our second stay was better. The (femaile) agent acknowledged my status immediately and asked if I wished to check in in the lounge. She also mentioned the upgraded room...but still no welcome drink. These service issues are all the more surprising given the guidance Accor hotels supposedly receive from management (see View from the Wing).

We booked these stays under Accor's Black Friday sale, so it was really cheap. But, we regretted a bit not staying at the Hilton or elsewhere.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you for this report ^. Indeed some staff members are still poorly trained but I have noticed clear improvements for this during the last year.
Your idea to speak to the GM is certainly a good one. They usually like direct "unsterilized" feed-back from loyal clients. It is very important for them.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:51 am

Also, I got an email with links for a customer satisfaction survey, but they all take me to a survey in Malay (I believe). Argh.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:59 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 54austin
Also, I got an email with links for a customer satisfaction survey, but they all take me to a survey in Malay (I believe). Argh.
Did you click on the correct link? The survey email is often divided into several languages and each has its own link.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Did you click on the correct link? The survey email is often divided into several languages and each has its own link.
Clicked on the link in the English portion of the message. Also copied/paste the URL.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:28 am

Another funny/terrible thing I forgot to include -- my partner overheard a guest ask an attendant during breakfast in the ground-floor restaurant for an espresso from the machine. The attendant replied that there would be an extra charge. When the guest said that would be fine, the attendant said the machine was broken. Seemed to us he just didn't want to make the espresso (or tell her it was self-serve).
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Gold, Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by zehbra
In other news, someone seems to monitor flyertalk, as they brought a bowl of fruit about an hour after posting this thread Things are definitely starting improve.
Keep posting. By tomorrow you might receive a phone call and a new set of Royal Suite room keys delivered to you.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HongKongVisitor
Keep posting. By tomorrow you might receive a phone call and a new set of Royal Suite room keys delivered to you.
Well, we're getting there, now there's a plate of cookies in the room too ^

Obviously that's just standard protocol, from what I read from other who've stayed in executive rooms..

No "turndown service" per se though, no replenished water either.. maybe I'm expecting too much
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:20 am

In luxury hotels this is one thing that cheeses me off.. Especially when they have a lounge and I still opt to eat in the restaurant instead.
I normally explain that I don't pay in the lounge - and that solves it. However there is one hotel where I do prefer having my bf in the restaurant and I normally sock it to the lounge, get my espresso and then take the lift down to the restaurant
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:35 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Well, either they really are reading this, or they are just randomly trying things here They did do a proper turndown service tonight, with bottle of water next to bed and decorative pillows removed ^ however, the empty cookie plate is still here...

So, they know what should be done. All the parts are here, it just needs a good dose of consistency.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:14 am

Since I couldn't submit the survey, I sent feedback via the general Accor Hotels website. I got a pretty quick response from the GM, which follows.

Dear Mr XXX,

Greetings from Pullman Kuching.

Thank you for choosing Pullman as your choice of accommodation during your visit to Kuching, Sarawak. Your kind support is very much appreciated and we sincerely hope that you would come back to Pullman should you make another trip to Kuching.

I would like to sincerely apologies for the service gaps on our services during your stay here. I struggle everyday to ensure all our loyal guests are given the best service that was promised to all our guests and sadly, we fell short in delivering our promise.

I have instructed our Front Office Manager as well as our Food and Beverage Manager to investigate on the said matter, and our findings was;

- The receptionist who checked you in was one of our new staff who just joined our team recently. He will be sent for retraining and will be counseled by our Front Office Manager on courtesy as well as communication, so that he would not repeat the same mistake again. We will also conduct a re-brief for all our receptionist about our loyalty program, Le Club Accor Hotels as well as the Advantage Plus program, along with the benefits, so that all of our receptionist are well versed of the benefits of joining the Le Club Accor Hotels membership.

- Our Food and Beverage Manager mentioned that the server during breakfast at our Puzzle Restaurant, could possibly be a part-timer and such instances should not have happen as we prepared a self-service espresso machine at our Puzzle Restaurant during breakfast. Nonetheless, I have instructed our Food and Beverage Manager to brief all his team members, both full and part time staff, about the importance of delivering the correct information to the guests and not cutting corners in delivering the service that our guests truly deserved.

I hope that with this action plans that I have had our Head of Departments come up with, we would be able to improve on our level of services for our valued guests. I know that this may not be enough for you, but we would do our very best to ensure that we improve our services for our guests.

We are very concerned with the satisfaction of all our guests, and your feedback is very important to us.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope that this experience will not alter your confidence in the Accor Network as well as Pullman Kuching. We look forward to welcome you back again in the future.

Warmest regards,
FELIX YEO
GENERAL MANAGER
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:39 pm

Well, hmmm.
Looking at the profile of Felix Yeo, I'm not too convinced he has much Accor blood to spread much knowledge about Le Club.

Apart from 6 months trying to turn around Novotel Shenchen Westgate (two years ago), his past 10 months at the Pullman Kuching is the only time he has worked for the Accor group.

I am convinced that the best Accor properties with the best Loyalty treatment are those whose GMs have worked in Accor for awhile. Also, the understanding of a brand, the loyalty to the brand and understanding the guests' loyalty starts from top down. Counselling a staff-member is not going to help much if the GM himself doesnt believe in it.

"I struggle everyday to ensure all our loyal guests..." Well, that's a bit of a problem isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.