Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Confirmed news of Accor brand shake up, new IBIS brands, new name for A-Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:19 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

On Travel Weekly:

Accor set for brand twist

Accor is preparing to unveil a major repositioning — understood to involve a number of brands — as the hotel chain seeks a new style of “next generation” property, Travel Today has learned.

Details are being kept under wraps but the company is thought to be about two months from a global launch of what is thought to be a twist on its existing portfolio.

Michael Issenberg, chairman and chief executive of Accor Asia Pacific, confirmed a plan was on the table but declined to comment further......
I wonder what this entails. There have been a number of brand changes recently, the move of Sofitel clearly into the luxury market and the introduction of the So and Legend sub brands. The introduction of all seasons and adagio at the lower end, the rebranding of Suitehotels to Novotel Suites.

What Accor do not have is a quality design and lifestyle led hotel brand, similar to IHG's Indigo, Hyatt's Andaz, Starwood's Aloft or Hilton's short-lived Denizen.

It strikes me as odd that the article mentions the Ibis King Street Wharf. Not a brand I could imagine being hip, no matter how much branding you throw at it.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I would be curious to know what will happen. IMO, they have too much brands now. It's becoming confusing, even for the "Accor experts" we are on this forum
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:14 pm
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I'd agree, it would have to be something completely different to make sense, and maybe consolidating at the very minimum Novotel and Novotel Suites into one.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:09 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I would be curious to know what will happen. IMO, they have too much brands now. It's becoming confusing, even for the "Accor experts" we are on this forum
+1. In addition to consolidating Novotel Suites and Novotel, they should really do something about the Mercure and Grand Mercure brand. Grand Mercure isn't exactly much grander IMHO.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
KSW?

DO I assume by Ibis King ST Wharf you are referring to Sydney, NSW, Aus?

I'd agree that might take some creative "re-inventing"
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:06 pm

I second Goldorak that Accor has too many brands.

Four levels (Luxury, Comfort, Economy, Basic) would be enough and easier to understand.

I would keep only one main brand name for each level, for instance :

- Sofitel
- Novotel, Novotel Suites, Novotel Gallery, Novotel Mercure
- Ibis, Ibis 4 Seasons
- Etap, Etap F1
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:34 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Not that Accor is alone is this brand diversity:

IGH have seven brands: Intercontinental, Crown Plaza, Indigo, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge and Candlewood Suites.

Hilton have a staggering ten brands: Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Hilton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Garden Inn, Hampton, Homewood Suites, Home2 and Hilton Grand Vacations.

Starwood have nine brands: Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, W Hotels, Luxury Collection, St. Regis, Four Points, aloft and element.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Four brands should be plenty for any hotel company. Otherwise the brand value of the group gets deflated.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by starflyergold
the move of Sofitel clearly into the luxury market and the introduction of the So and Legend sub brands. The introduction of all seasons and adagio at the lower end, the rebranding of Suitehotels to Novotel Suites.
I think it's diluting its Sofitel brand name by having so many sub brands. Ok, I understand Legend brand is only for those few that has historical value. But Sofitel So?

Originally Posted by starflyergold
What Accor do not have is a quality design and lifestyle led hotel brand, similar to IHG's Indigo, Hyatt's Andaz, Starwood's Aloft or Hilton's short-lived Denizen.
Maybe the Sofitel So should be rebrandede to fit into this category. Or MGallery maybe?

Last edited by RJ77; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:33 pm
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by ahrz
I second Goldorak that Accor has too many brands.

Four levels (Luxury, Comfort, Economy, Basic) would be enough and easier to understand.

I would keep only one main brand name for each level, for instance :

- Sofitel
- Novotel, Novotel Suites, Novotel Gallery, Novotel Mercure
- Ibis, Ibis 4 Seasons
- Etap, Etap F1
The french newspaper Le Figaro announced today 9/12/2011 that Accor's CEO Dennis Hennequin decided to rebrand all economy hotels as IBIS hotels :

- IBIS for classic Ibis hotels
- IBIS STYLES for former All Seasons hotels
- IBIS BUDGET for former Etap Hotels

These hotels would become a new logo, with a different color for each of these three types (red, green and blue).

http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2011...t-sur-ibis.php
Old Sep 12, 2011, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The french newspaper Le Figaro announced today 9/12/2011 that Accor's CEO Dennis Hennequin decided to rebrand all economy hotels as IBIS hotels :

These hotels would become a new logo, with a different color for each of these three types (red, green and blue).

This makes a lot of sense
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Thanks - yet another reason to love FT - news aggregation across the lingual spectrum!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

What about Formule 1?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:56 pm

I guess F1 fits in as basic rather than economy.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the point of using a common base name if the products themselves are different? All Seasons give free wifi and free breakfast whereas Ibis (or Etap, for that matter) do not. In effect, you still end up with 3 separate brands, albeit 3 brands using a common base name.

Originally Posted by camsean
I guess F1 fits in as basic rather than economy.
mmm... I would see Etap hotels as much more similar to F1 than Ibis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.