Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Accor's ridiculous sustainability initiative - lack of water and toothbrushes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer

Does anyone else here find Accor's sustainability policies ridiculous and inconvenient?

I live in Singapore and patronize hotels in the tropics in Southeast Asia. In an Accor property, I feel compelled to count the bottles of water I drink while in the room. Some properties even told me I can only get two a day, regardless of whether I'm alone or not and how long I am staying, until I pick a fight with reception. I was in Pullman Legian in Bali, Indonesia and they took the cake with giving 4 x 200ml bottles of water -- not even 1 liter -- and said to just call if you need more. I called housekeeping 3 AM the night I checked in to ask for more water.

I also have to put a standing instruction to please put toothbrushes and a comb in my bathroom for every stay. 50-50 the hotel actually does it. It's a real inconvenience to tell the front desk a couple of times to send me a toothbrush -- in a 5 star hotel.
zzap and sodaisei like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:23 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by MajulahMadooba

I also have to put a standing instruction to please put toothbrushes and a comb in my bathroom for every stay. 50-50 the hotel actually does it. It's a real inconvenience to tell the front desk a couple of times to send me a toothbrush -- in a 5 star hotel.
In many hundreds of hotel nights over many years, the number of times I have expected to use a toothbrush provided by the hotel, instead of bringing my own, is exactly zero. It's something I would only ask of a hotel as an exception, in the event I somehow forget to bring one. For one thing, I just prefer to use my own, and secondly, it seems wasteful to me to consider it a single-use disposable item.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

without debating carrying a wet toothbrush in your luggage, since toothpaste is bundled with the toothbrush, you have to make the same request to get toothpaste
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:43 pm

without debating carrying a wet toothbrush in your luggage, since toothpaste is bundled with the toothbrush, you have to make the same request to get toothpaste
Well, I carry my own toothpaste, too. Oh the horror! And somehow it's never been a problem to carry a toothbrush, wet or not, in a small case designed for holding a toothbrush, along with many other bathroom essentials, like a hairbrush, deodorant, shaving razor, and the like. None of which I would expect to be provided by the hotel.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

There are trips without checked luggage. We may be talking about different contexts.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:24 pm

There are trips without checked luggage. We may be talking about different contexts.
I don't think we're talking about different contexts at all. I've taken lots of trips without checked luggage, but somehow I still manage to carry basic essentials (including a toothbrush) in a carry-on case. I just can't imagine depending on the hotel for this, other than as an exception when I've forgotten something, not as a rule.

Altaflyer, Koby, orbitmic and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
If only hotels had something like towels so when you are packing up your luggage you can quickly dry your toothbrush before packing it. 🤔

Just invest in a small toiletry bag like CanadaDH suggested and throw in a full toothbrush holder for it just in case. Then you won’t have to use tiny cheap one-use toothbrushes and off brand toothpaste.
carnarvon and quoo like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Actually, you're making me want to revive my bag like this, an old Swaine Adeney. Found it too much of a chore to pack and unpack and preferred to have some things ready in the hotel bathroom instead. Hotel razors end up nicking me when groggy, but I've had razors and nail clippers pulled out by airport security. Different strokes.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:12 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Does anyone else here find Accor's sustainability policies ridiculous and inconvenient?
No. I criticise Accor for a lot of things but not this. They are spot on to reduce the mountains of plastic waste that end up in nature and pollute our environment. Pack a toothbrush/paste and be done with it. If travelling with hand luggage only you have to put your other liquids (deodorant etc.) in a clear plastic bag anyway for the security inspection (with new scanners coming on board this will no longer be required at many airports). Millions of travellers manage. As to water bottles two bottles per room are pretty standard, two extra ones for the bathroom in areas where tap water is not potable.
bawm, IggySD, kennycbr and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:06 am
Original Poster

My main complaint is they applied the water policy across the board.

Try staying primarily in Accor properties that are self-contained resorts at the equator where you primarily stay on the property the entire time. While everyone supports sustainability, being conscious of every glass of water you drink is stressful and very annoying. After a day, housekeeping will usually give you a more normal amount of water in sealed glass (reusable) bottles for the tropics in every single property of this kind. If the front desk picks a fight because there is some new clueless or non-local person, the actual housekeeping staff will send the water anyway.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:12 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
My main complaint is they applied the water policy across the board.

Try staying primarily in Accor properties that are self-contained resorts at the equator where you primarily stay on the property the entire time. While everyone supports sustainability, being conscious of every glass of water you drink is stressful and very annoying. After a day, housekeeping will usually give you a more normal amount of water in sealed glass (reusable) bottles for the tropics in every single property of this kind. If the front desk picks a fight because there is some new clueless or non-local person, the actual housekeeping staff will send the water anyway.
Not once, not ever have I had issues getting more water on request.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:20 am

No hotel should be providing water in a plastic bottle these days. Install water machines , like the ice machines, for guests to refill their own bottles.

If the tap water is not drinkable at all they can provide glass bottles to be filled. Housekeeping can furnish every room prior to arrival.

As for the toothbrush, take your own it's not like they weigh very much!
quoo and Barrheadlass like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:30 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
At my most recent Accor hotels across Asia and Europe hotels had glass bottles, larger resort hotel had their own bottling facility. Easy and so much more environmentally friendly. And as others said, ask and you shall get. This is really an imaginary problem IMHO.
wrp96, quoo and chiguy583 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:31 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ACES70
No hotel should be providing water in a plastic bottle these days. Install water machines , like the ice machines, for guests to refill their own bottles.
No one has said anything about water in plastic bottles.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 1:18 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
In many hundreds of hotel nights over many years, the number of times I have expected to use a toothbrush provided by the hotel, instead of bringing my own, is exactly zero. It's something I would only ask of a hotel as an exception, in the event I somehow forget to bring one. For one thing, I just prefer to use my own, and secondly, it seems wasteful to me to consider it a single-use disposable item.
But you aren't OP, so just because you don't want the amenity doesn't mean it isn't a valid request. That would be like the business class cabins no longer offering amenity kits to anyone since you never open it.

I use an electric at home I won't bother carrying, so I also use hotel or airline provided equipment onttravels. I just ask on arrival if it isn't on the room already, which in Asia seemed to be more common (not necessarily Accor).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.