Search

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:18 am
IMH
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile

A dedicated thread for the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower seems overdue. Before posting my review for a stay last week, I'll link to the hotel and reviews I've found here on FT from 2011 to 2015. Please add anything I've missed.

The property has its own domain as well as being in the places you'd expect within Accor's web world:

http://www.sofitel-chicago.com/en/welcome.html

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-2993...er/index.shtml

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...er/index.shtml

Reviews on FT

b8brooks posted this review in November 2011;
chistery posted this review in March 2012;
Goldorak posted this review in May 2012;
1nfrequent posted this review in May 2014;
KenInEscazu posted this review in November 2014;
JimC posted this review in July 2015.

This thread about Nor1 upgrades includes several mentions of the Sofitel Chicago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...ting-28-a.html

EDIT 2016: This property is now the Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile. Our mod has kindly renamed the thread.

Last edited by IMH; Nov 18, 2016 at 1:20 pm Reason: new hotel name
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:20 am
IMH
Original Poster

Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

What is your Le Club status?
Gold at the time of this stay (four nights in late August 2015).

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked a junior suite and received a "prestige" suite (one category higher).

How are the rooms?
Our corner suite was bright and spacious. It was a proper suite, in that it would have been possible to receive guests without them seeing the bedroom. The bathroom had a proper shower and separate bath tub.

There should have been more power sockets in more useful locations. The most important ones were where they should be (desk area, bathroom), but others were hidden behind built-in furniture. We ended up charging our phones on the floor.

What was good and what was bad?

Good:
Upgrade given without any need to ask or negotiate. Warm welcome. (I actually felt more welcome here as a "loyal Gold member" than I have previously done at some properties as a Platinum member.) The property still feels modern and clean.

Bad:
Breakfast could have been managed better. At check in we were given vouchers for the breakfasts that were included in our rate. In the restaurant, revealing oneself to be in possession of vouchers resulted in the standard menu being removed and replaced by a (shorter) "Magnifique" breakfast menu. The reduced menu still contained perfectly adequate options, but it seemed a rather clumsy way of doing things. Why not offer the option of using a voucher to offset a certain dollar amount against the full à la carte menu?

What about welcome drinks, welcome amenities or any other special perks?
We were given two drink vouchers at reception, which we redeemed for two decent "craft" beers. A welcome amenity was waiting in our room: a large bottle of Évian and a small bowl of perfectly ripe raspberries. A personalised welcome note invited us to enjoy the "freshly prepared daily amenities", but the "daily" was either unintended or forgotten as we didn't receive any further goodies in the days that followed.

Value for money? Would you return?
We booked a non-refundable "super sale" rate (40% off and 'free' breakfast) and paid 227 USD per night for the junior suite. That would have been excellent value even without the upgrade. We'd happily return at the right price. Compared to other four star hotels we've experienced in this part of town, we enjoyed the Sofitel far more than either the Conrad or the InterContinental.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by IMH
Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

Compared to other four star hotels we've experienced in this part of town, we enjoyed the Sofitel far more than either the Conrad or the InterContinental.
Never stayed at the Conrad but already stayed at the IC and I fully agree with you about the Sofitel vs the IC : very disappointing hotel outside its very nice location (I know Nicolas75 will disagree with this assessment ).
I only had excellent stays at the Sofitel Chicago.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta, Accor, Marriott
Sofitel Chicago Water Tower Stay (Dec. 2015)

My wife and I stayed here for one night last weekend for our one year anniversary.

What is your Le Club status?
Newly Silver based off a stay at Sofitel Le Faubourg last month. This was our first stay with the Silver status.

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Definitely. The hotel is very attractive/well-kept, it's nicely located, and we received very warm and welcoming service.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
We booked a luxury room on the upper floor. No upgrade for silver status.

How are the rooms?
We liked the room a lot. It was well-appointed, with a comfortable bed and a large bathroom with nice amenities and a good shower.

What was good and what was bad?

Good:
We felt very welcome by the staff and appreciated some of the touches that we received for the silver status, which were new to us and which we didn't expect. Comfortable room and bed, and a welcoming lobby area to have a drink and read the paper.

Bad:
We purchased breakfast in advance. The breakfast itself was perfectly nice. When we asked for the check our waiter told us that since we had vouchers there was no check and that we were all set. We didn't know that a tip was automatically added to our folio, and we left a cash tip on the table. When we checked out we saw the tip, and it was a bit awkward to ask the staff to remove it. Not a big deal, but thought that there should be some way to convey this.

What about welcome drinks, welcome amenities or any other special perks?
Received two drink vouchers at check-in, which we used for two lovely glasses of champagne. We also received a small chocolate from the turn-down service, along with a note from the GM.

Late checkout (1pm) was honored without a problem. And - not sure if it was a silver benefit or standard service, but there were two small complimentary bottles of Evian for us in the room.

Value for money? Would you return?
We paid - with all taxes - about $280 for the night and breakfast. I think the price is fair for the quality of the hotel. We were very happy with the stay and will be back.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:08 am
IMH
Original Poster

First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk, grandchampion. (This is, after all, your first post in FT's most important forum. )

Originally Posted by grandchampion
We purchased breakfast in advance. [...] We didn't know that a tip was automatically added to our folio, and we left a cash tip on the table. When we checked out we saw the tip, and it was a bit awkward to ask the staff to remove it.
I also found this slightly odd (along with the hotel having a different breakfast menu for guests with vouchers, as mentioned in my review above). But for future reference: there was no awkwardness at all when I told the front desk that I'd already tipped in cash. The invoice was adjusted in a jiffy.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:19 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I am currently at the Sofitel Chicago, having checked in a few hours ago. So far so good: very welcoming check in, all Gold benefits given pro actively including a double upgrade, welcome gift (very good madeleines).
However I am a bit annoyed by the credit card hold for incidentals, or rather by the amount: 380 USD hold for a stay which is entirely prepaid. I find excessive to hold so much. Is that the norm for this hotel ?
Old May 29, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: All Gold, Best Western Rewards, IHG Club
No hold

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I am currently at the Sofitel Chicago, having checked in a few hours ago. So far so good: very welcoming check in, all Gold benefits given pro actively including a double upgrade, welcome gift (very good madeleines).
However I am a bit annoyed by the credit card hold for incidentals, or rather by the amount: 380 USD hold for a stay which is entirely prepaid. I find excessive to hold so much. Is that the norm for this hotel ?
Hi,
I was there 3 weeks ago, just one night. I received all perks (I'm also gold, however, welcome gift arrived after I was in room), but no hold on card at all (also prepaid in my case).
Old May 29, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Csaba
Hi,
I was there 3 weeks ago, just one night. I received all perks (I'm also gold, however, welcome gift arrived after I was in room), but no hold on card at all (also prepaid in my case).
Are you sure of that ? Very surprising if true, as north American hotels always take a provision for incidentals, even on pre-paid stays.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: All Gold, Best Western Rewards, IHG Club
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Are you sure of that ? Very surprising if true, as north American hotels always take a provision for incidentals, even on pre-paid stays.
Yes, I'm sure. On my trip around USA, 5 of out of 7 hotels put a hold on my credit card, 2 not: Sofitel Chicago and a Comfort Inn in Colorado (all were prepaid).
I was also surprised, but positively
Old May 31, 2016, 11:10 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I clarified with the reception clerk and this was 125 Dollars per night. Fair enough I was just used to lower amount for the hold.
Anyway I had a great stay (and a great time in Chicago), the room (Luxury King Room) was great, well furnished and lots of amenities. The staff was very service minded and professional. An excellent property ^
Old May 31, 2016, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

An excellent property ^
Definitely. I agree ^
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:54 am
Suspended

I have been told that the parking was 70 USD per 24h. Is this a standard fare ? It seems to me really expensive but I am not used to it.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:55 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

It is the price for the Valet Parking, and it is a fairly standard fare for a 5 star hotel. I paid 60 USD per 24h at Hilton Boston Faneuil.
There are parking garage (covered and with CCTV) around the hotel, I remembered seeing two less than 3 blocks away. You will pay less there (probably between 30 and 50 USD). Parking in downtown cities in the US is always expensive. Short term parking is usually 15-20 USD.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:15 am
Suspended

It is the price for the Valet Parking, and it is a fairly standard fare for a 5 star hotel. I paid 60 USD per 24h at Hilton Boston Faneuil.
There are parking garage (covered and with CCTV) around the hotel, I remembered seeing two less than 3 blocks away. You will pay less there (probably between 30 and 50 USD). Parking in downtown cities in the US is always expensive. Short term parking is usually 15-20 USD.
Ok thanks I wasnt aware of that. I guess there is no use in brothering to get to the other parking just to spare 10 or 20usd.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:42 pm
IMH
Original Poster

"Dream Stays" offer at Sofitel Chicago

It took me a while to adjust my VPN so that Accor's rubbish website believed I'm in the US and allowed me to see the latest offer they emailed me about, but for those with sufficient points it's attractive enough for me to share here. We probably can't make it fit with our other travel and work plans, but for those who can it looks like a terrific deal.

The short version: 28,000 points for four nights for two (plus children, see below) in a Prestige Suite with breakfast and other goodies.

Longer version:
  • 4 nights in Prestige Suite
  • Daily breakfast
  • Dinner with wine pairing for 2 in Café des Architectes
  • 2 tickets to the Museum of Contemporary Art
  • 2 tickets to the Art Institute of Chicago
  • $100 Bloomingdales gift card
  • 2 hours "personal shopping" at Bloomingdales

From the T&C: [...] "valid for bookings made before February 28th 2017 for stays between December 1st 2016 and March 31st 2017." [...] "Free accommodation and breakfast for up to 3 child(ren) under 12 y. sharing the parents room."

Exclusions: 10, 11, 17, 18 February; 17-24 March.

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/leclub...ent-mile.shtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.