Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:42 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Thanks for the review. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've understood these breakfast vouchers and plated breakfasts are typical for many / some US hotels. Don't know why. Former Sofitel in Miami had a small buffet only and many items needed to be ordered, juices included. Similar made to order service in Sofitel NYC.
Correct... It also seemed to me that we were only "allowed" one glass of juice each as well as one hot drink as we never were asked if we wanted more.

Strange concept IMO but maybe some one from the other side of the pond can enlighten us why this is the case?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Cupart
Correct... It also seemed to me that we were only "allowed" one glass of juice each as well as one hot drink as we never were asked if we wanted more.
Really not professional. At the Sofitel Chicago, I was never charged extra for additional glasses of Orange Juice though.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by olivedel
Really not professional. At the Sofitel Chicago, I was never charged extra for additional glasses of Orange Juice though.
Yeah, and as I said, it seemed like we only were allowed one glass as we never were asked if we needed "re-fills". This doesn't mean it wasn't the case with top ups

What really irritates me in the US is the compulsory tips and service fee added.

I booked a room where breakfast was included and still tips is added to the final bill. It has nothing to do with the actual small amount of USD 6.88 charged per day but the fact it's added... This should be part of the deal.

So to roll the ball back should I not really be able to say at check out: "Hey, I do not feel the tips are in order as so and so", thus requesting the tips to be reverted out of the final bill? I was asked to check that all was fine (which I said yes to) but it struck me right now that I should have been able to say no to the tips (not that I would)

This said, breakfast is in general over priced at hotels as it is, but that's a different topic all together
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
I booked a room where breakfast was included and still tips is added to the final bill. It has nothing to do with the actual small amount of USD 6.88 charged per day but the fact it's added... This should be part of the deal.
Well, I agree this is really bothering especially when breakfast is included.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:14 am
IMH
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
[...] should I not really be able to say at check out: "Hey, I do not feel the tips are in order as so and so", thus requesting the tips to be reverted out of the final bill?
You can do this if you want. We did this on our first stay here: I tipped cash in the restaurant, not knowing about the 'automatic' tip calculation, and the bill was corrected with no fuss at all when we checked out (see posts 2 and 5 above).

During subsequent stays we've simply avoided the hotel breakfast, even when it's been included in our rate. We love the hotel but don't care for the restaurant at all.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Goldorak
they are usually good for upgrades (no need to ask/remind them). Drink voucher is given spontaneously and you can even have champagne with it. And I never had any problem to have a late check-out.
Just checked in after long flight and bad experience with cx. Delay out of sin, one wheel on my victorinox went missing (aka broken).

Cold 5 degree gloomy day in Chicago.

Agree with all above. But not very impress (may be may change my mind).

No club lounge, no welcome letter/gift. Bathroom lack of amenities (no toothbrush, no razor). Tv location on bed room is very ackward. Corridor look very dull.

More like pullman than sofitel to me.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:46 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lingua101
Just checked in after long flight and bad experience with cx. Delay out of sin, one wheel on my victorinox went missing (aka broken).

Cold 5 degree gloomy day in Chicago.

Agree with all above. But not very impress (may be may change my mind).

No club lounge, no welcome letter/gift. Bathroom lack of amenities (no toothbrush, no razor). Tv location on bed room is very ackward. Corridor look very dull.

More like pullman than sofitel to me.
(unfortunately) don't compare to what we're used to in Asia.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
(unfortunately) don't compare to what we're used to in Asia.
Well, shouldn't it be consistency wherever we are?
Old May 3, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
Well, shouldn't it be consistency wherever we are?
Service in Asia is consistently better in any hotel chain.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:24 pm
IMH
Original Poster

rangerss75 has posted a broadly positive review in the "elite experiences" thread, here.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This hotel now charges about $15/night per typical room as a resort fee on top of your booked rate.

Good hotel that adopted this lousy resort/destination/facilities policy last year. And what does this fee get you? Things that were previously included for guests for no additional charge.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:00 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Ha the famous racket of the resort fee. I think this is the first Accor hotel to do this. @AccorHotels Concierge Amy would you mind please investigate this and report if this practice is an hotel gone rogue or a policy of Accor hotel ?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Resort fee in Chicago ???
starflyergold and vidrineb like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:22 pm
IMH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I think this is the first Accor hotel to do this.
I believe the NYC Sofitel started imposing an additional charge of this kind either late in 2017 or early this year.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
Anyone stayed there recently? How was the treatment for Platinum members?
I’m hesitating between the Sofitel and the Conrad (I’m Gold with Hilton), anyone stayed at both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.