Ottawa Hotel - Novotel

Old Apr 8, 15, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Ottawa Hotel - Novotel

I'll most probably be putting up at the Novotel Ottawa Hotel for a business trip, middle of this year.

Any comments or better suggestions in the same price range?

Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by iluvcruising2; Apr 8, 15 at 5:35 am
Old Apr 8, 15, 5:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, NE Gold
Novotel Ottawa

So the hotel is at 33 Nicholas - easy access to the By-Ward Market, Rideau Centre (shopping) & Parliament. I live in YOW, so I have not stayed - but they have a very nice lobby!

Alternatives in the area incl. Fairmont Chateau Laurier, Westin (attached to the shopping centre) and Swiss Hotel (B&B). YOW is a gov't town, so I suggest you check the gov't rate as a guide:
http://www.novotelottawa.com/directions/directions.shtm

Two transportation options:
- Taxi ($25);
- public transit (OC Transpo, $3.45 cash fare - or - buy tix. in arrivals area) & alight at Mackenzie King. From there its less than 5 mn. walk)

PM me if you have more ?
Old Apr 9, 15, 1:11 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The rooms in the Novotel are pretty small. From personal experience having travelled to YOW many times, taxi will run you about $35.

The Westin is a far nicer hotel but probably not in the same price range. Les Suites is right beside the Novotel and the rooms are larger.
Old Apr 12, 15, 8:33 am
B1

The Novotel is well-located and a nice place. The Lord Elgin is a more interesting alternative nearby. The bus from the airport to the downtown area (OC Transpo #97) is as fast as a taxi and costs $3.45 (you can also buy tickets at the kiosk in the airport). You can look on Google for specifics. It will involve a short walk to the hotel. The OC Transpo site has the full schedule. I go to Ottawa frequently and always use the buses from the airport and the VIA station.
Old Apr 14, 15, 4:22 pm

I used the #97 bus on my visit to Ottawa earlier this year, and will again on my visit later this month. For much of the trip, the bus runs on a road open only to buses. So I think the #97 might get you downtown faster than a taxi, depending on passenger load.
Old Apr 14, 15, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
It's been a few years since we've been to Ottawa, so with that in mind:

Rooms at the Novotel are very small. We have never been able to stay n anything smaller than a Junior Suite at the Novotel, but they are usually reasonably priced. Service can be spotty. The Lord Elgin is usually a better deal (much larger rooms, and, depending on other factors, can include breakfast in your rate), same neighborhood). Chateau Laurier is our favorite option, but you have to know which room you want, since rooms vary widely within the same category.
Old Oct 17, 15, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

I started this thread some months back.

Reporting back.

We stayed at the Novotel as planned, and it was a pleasant stay. Yes, the rooms are not big, but perfectly adequate for the solo business traveller.

Here is a video I made of the room and Hotel Lobby.

The hotel is very close to the Rideau Mall (3 minute walk) and I spent some time there.
Old Oct 23, 15, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Breakfast in the Albinion Room. One day I had the self-serve buffet, another day I tried a la carte, Eggs Benedict.

Nearby the hotel, I had breakfast (on yet another day) at this place called Dunn's.

Also nearby was a Thai Restaurant where I had lunch one day.
Old Jun 30, 19, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Review Novotel Ottawa City Centre

Novotel Ottawa Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Novotel Ottawa Hotel

33 Nicholas St Ottawa, ON CA K1N9M7

Review Novotel Ottawa City Centre (17 Photos)

Novotel Ottawa Hotel

Good stay (2 nights) in this Novotel. It is perfectly located in the heart of downtown Ottawa. plenty of café and restaurants around.

Nicely welcomed at check-in. As too often, no mention about upgrade, while there has been an upgrade (they are missing a good opportunity for exchanging nicely with a customer here). I was told my drink voucher was in the room.

The lobby is exactly as shown in the video posted by a previous poster in this thread. I didn't particularly liked this lobby that I found a bit depressing.

IMG_5822.JPGIMG_5823.JPG

Room

I booked a Superior room and was upgraded to...I don't know sincerely. Looking at the website, I believe it should be an Executive room but I am not 100% sure. Whatever it is, it was a pleasant room, quite large as you can see on the pictures. Bed was very comfortable. Nespresso machine, bathrobe, slippers were part of amenities provided. The minibar had 3 bottles of water who were not replaced during the stay. It contained also the welcome gift : a nice cold cuts and cheese tray. I would have liked to have some bread with it, but I will certainly not complain. Plenty of power ports everywhere to charge all your devices.

The only "complaint" I could make was the proximity of the ice machine wich was only a problem when each night a guest needed to have ice at 3 am... (as a European, I think I will never understand this constant need for ice from North American people !).

IMG_5814.JPGIMG_5808.JPGIMG_5809.JPGIMG_5810.JPGIMG_5811.JPGIMG_5812.JPGIMG_5813.JPGIMG_5817.JPGIMG_5818.JPG

Dining

The bar and restaurant is pleasant with outdoor seating. Drink voucher can be redeemed for house wine, beer and soft drinks. 

The breakfast buffet is nice and good and not overpriced at all. There is an egg/pancakes station.

IMG_5819.JPGIMG_5820.JPGIMG_5821.JPGIMG_5827.JPGIMG_5828.JPG

Check-out

While the agent was processing my check-out, I noticed 3 piles of cards (cc size) near her computer. They were branded with the hotel name and were of different colours with the mention Silver/Gold/Platinum. I asked what it was and she was surprised of the question as she said "oh, but didn't you received one at check-in. You are Platinum, so you should have received the Platinum card" (see the picture I took below). It is a F&B discount card. Silver, Gold and Platinum members get 5, 10 or 15% discount, respectively. Nice touch and bringing clear differentiation between status. She kindly applied retrospectively the discount on my bill through a credit on my CC (as my payment was already processed when we had this discussion).

Capture d’écran 2019-06-29 à 12.10.5

Overall, a good stay. They treat Elite members well, even if there were obviously a few training issues with the agent who checked me in. I would return.

Review Novotel Ottawa City Centre

Would you like to write a review on the Novotel Ottawa Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 30, 19, 4:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, NE Gold
warm

It was very warm in Ottawa during your stay. Explains the frequent trips to the ice machine? Also, lots of events in the core in the lead up to Canada Day e.g. Jazz Fest.
I am curious what rate (s) they gave you? I checked the Sheratone & the Westin they were in the 200-300 range! Ouch! PM me. Thx.
Old Jun 30, 19, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
It was very warm in Ottawa during your stay. Explains the frequent trips to the ice machine?
Not really. In the 25C. Very pleasant temperature.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
I am curious what rate (s) they gave you? I checked the Sheratone & the Westin they were in the 200-300 range! Ouch! PM me. Thx.
Around 210 CAD (+tax).
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Dia; Marriott Amb; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit; SLH Indulged
@Goldorak thanks for the review. @Antonio8069 Sheraton can have very competitive prices on weekends but during the week not so much. The main advantage there is the Club Lounge. Westin has good hardware but price is very poor relative to what you get and elite treatment is one of the worst I have seen from any Marriott property anywhere. Best in Ottawa is probably Andaz but in a higher price range as Novotel. Sounds like Novotel is a decent option in downtown Ottawa but no lounge and no suite upgrades; might be an option when the price is right, and probably most comparable to Hilton Garden Inn / Homewood Suites combo (both hotels are attached) on the other side of downtown in terms of mid-scale hotel at modest price without a lounge and without meaningful upgrades.

Search this Thread