Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unnoticed greatness: Colorado Springs airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Arrow

I travel to and from the Colorado Springs airport around twice a year and I keep on noticing how there really should be more flights out of it.
The awesomeness is well worth using a connecting flight instead of Denver International Airport. There are so many airlines that could invest in Colorado Springs. A year ago, Frontier Airlines tried to make new direct flights, but got caught up in a budget mess and stopped services from the airport entirely. I think a airline like United or American airlines should try to make tons of flights to and from Colorado Springs.@:-) The airport is so relaxing and the only reason people don't fly from there is because the 15th busiest airport in the world is only an hour away. I love the interior and decoration. The cafes are awesome. This is my favorite airport of all time. The free WiFi and super staff make all the difference. The parking is so cheap and getting in the terminal is so fast. Colorado springs also has the capacity to expand with one inactive terminal which I dearly wish would open.
If you are ever traveling to and from Colorado, be sure to fly out of the most underrated terminal in the world.

Please reply to my post!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Another sad thing is that Denver, Colorado is one of Colorado springs most popular destinations. Imagine a commercial on TV like "We are proud to serve Denver only 70 miles away!!!!"

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 3, 2014 at 7:23 am Reason: merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was at COS 7 years ago but I didn't notice anything "great" about the airport, it seemed pretty standard for a third-tier airport (no different than GSO, RIC etc.) Has something changed since I was last there?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I recall from my days as a regular in the UA discussion folder-- back when I flew UA frequently-- that a lot of my fellow UA FFs were from COS. They liked the ease of navigating the airport as their point of entry to the air travel system and the frequency of connecting flights to the hub at DEN.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
I am sure it is fine for the residents of the Springs, but its position on the far southeast side eliminates it as a viable option for frequent travelers from Denver. Especially when many of the flights connect through Denver first. That 70 miles could very easily be 2 hours or more with traffic or weather.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Twenty years ago Western Pacific Airlines built a hub at COS serving 25 cities. The current terminal opening coincided with W7's startup in the 90s. Today there is far more capacity than service.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
The one time I was there, I seem to recall it was a very long ride into town, especially for an airport in a comparatively small city. Usually the airports in smaller places are more convenient to the center of activity.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:37 am

I was there a couple years ago. Connected via DIA to the Springs. I remember enjoying the view from the short plane ride. Cruising altitude must've been no higher than a lot of the mountains nearby. The taxi ride to Broadmoor was long. I even remember the conversation with the cab driver, that he'd moved from Boston. I just don't remember the airport at all, though.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by JerryFF
The one time I was there, I seem to recall it was a very long ride into town, especially for an airport in a comparatively small city. Usually the airports in smaller places are more convenient to the center of activity.
"Comparatively small city?" Point of fact: Colorado Springs in 2013 was estimated to have a population of 440,000, ranking it #41 in the USA. That's only 8,000 less folks than Atlanta, and more populated than other cities such as Miami, Minneapolis, and Cleveland.

For those who have not visited COS in a few years, several improvements have recently taken place there, including a realignment and expansion of the TSA area and completion of a new 55 MPH access road to the airport property. Parking is still only $6 a day for long term, from which you can walk to the terminal in two minutes.

I did read in our local paper recently that there is a near term proposal to modify (a portion?) of the as yet commercially unused remote concourse into TSA offices.

Yes, it is a 15-25 minute or so ride from the terminal into most areas of the city. But that's because (1) in 1927 the airport opened seven miles southeast of downtown, far out in the country at that time, and has remained there since, and (2) in 1994 a new terminal was opened, southeast of the old one, adding several miles to the drive to downtown areas.

Regardless, local access to and navigation of COS remains a walk in the park compared to DEN.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:16 am

Probably only convenient if you live in the immediate area. Living in Fort Collins or Denver it wouldn't make any sense to fly out of the Springs, and I could be wrong, but I imagine you would be connecting via DIA for a lot of destinations...I don't personally find DIA difficult to get to or navigate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.