Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family pooling and eligible sectors

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

I have family pooling of miles and status credits set up. We are about to return home for xmas/NY on EY, a total of 4 sectors each and a result of 400 SC each.

With the family pooling there will be sufficient SC for me to return to Plat, but do I get the family sectors?

Do family flights count as eligible sectors?

Do EY flights count as eligible sectors?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
No - it's BIS earn only.

You can pool all the SC's and velocity points you want, but until a member travels on the requisite number of sectors they won't be getting status that way.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

Cheers, thanks Serfty. It's not clear in the T&C.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
We are about to return home for xmas/NY on EY, a total of 4 sectors each and a result of 400 SC each.
Could you let me know how long after your flight your regular+status points were credited, and whether they were done so automatically?

I had a return trip with the family (4 in total) in mid-November and have still not seen a single point credited...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They normally post entries to both the donor and recipient accounts at the same time. The post generally occurs within a day of the flight.

Most recent for me was Saturday.

Donor account:

Code:
28 Dec 14   27 Dec 14    Brisbane-Melbourne 2004 Points and 15 Status            0      0     0     0
                         Credits Pooled to Velocity Member 2xxxxxxxxx VA0123
Recipient Account:
Code:
28 Dec 14   27 Dec 14    Pooled from Velocity Member 2zzzzzzzzz VA0123          15  1,145   859 2,004
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:02 pm

I'm climbing back up the ladder with VA this year thanks to a couple of trips flown by my partner. I've exceeded the number of SC to earn silver and she has already flown the 2 VA-coded flights but that eligibility shows as met only on her account, whereas mine still says 0 despite both flights pooling into my account. It's a bit weird seeing 270SC and it's still on the red level! The T&C are grey on this matter.

Also, it's a bit shame that the AMEX flights do not earn SC, mileage I'd understand but why not SC?!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by edy4eva
...but that eligibility shows as met only on her account, whereas mine still says 0 despite both flights pooling into my account. It's a bit weird seeing 270SC and it's still on the red level!
That's exactly how it works. If you want the status, you have to (personally) fly the required number of flights that earn eligible sectors.

Also, it's a bit shame that the AMEX flights do not earn SC, mileage I'd understand but why not SC?!
They're basically award flights. What you *can* do (though the value in doing so is questionable) is book the AmEx flights, cancel them (and pay the cxl fee) then use the remaining credit to re-book. The flights in the subsequent booking will be revenue tickets, so will earn points and SCs.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by notzac
That's exactly how it works. If you want the status, you have to (personally) fly the required number of flights that earn eligible sectors.

They're basically award flights. What you *can* do (though the value in doing so is questionable) is book the AmEx flights, cancel them (and pay the cxl fee) then use the remaining credit to re-book. The flights in the subsequent booking will be revenue tickets, so will earn points and SCs.
Thanks. Will be taking few flights in the following months and will probably even be way past gold.

I might just do what you suggested to earn those additional SC. I'm thinking of using the AMEX on transcons then cancelling and booking the short hauls (where it's more valuable for me). Can the credit be used on multiple flights?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:44 pm

Can the credit be used on multiple flights?
No idea, sorry. The credit you get is an AmEx credit, so the subsequent flight has to be booked via AmEx. I would assume that if you didn't manage to use the entire credit with one flight, you would be able to use the remaining value on another flight.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:47 pm

No idea, sorry. The credit you get is an AmEx credit, so the subsequent flight has to be booked via AmEx. I would assume that if you didn't manage to use the entire credit with one flight, you would be able to use the remaining value on another flight.
Thanks. I cross posted this over at AFF where some have said the new flight must equal or greater to the credit given. Will see how it will pan out, got a reserve and the VA plat AMEX cards each having different T&C. Oddly enough the VA plat still quotes 50 dollar VA change fee from 2011, and claims no cancellations, just changes and must be kept to the same route.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reserve huh? ... With the "Free Flight" I have noted the fare paid showing on the (Virtually there) E-ticket for these is $0 and domestic points earn is based on fare paid ... not so for international flights.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:41 pm

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
By AMEX flights, do you mean the free annual flight you get with AMEX Velocity Platinum, or the 2-for-1 business class flights I've heard you can book through AMEX? Would be a shame if the latter, was thinking of doing that soon. Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Zaco
Would be a shame if the latter, was thinking of doing that soon. Thanks.
Last time I checked, the 2 for 1 deal was only on full fare J tix - so not particularly good value.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:10 am

Last time I checked, the 2 for 1 deal was only on full fare J tix - so not particularly good value.

It's actually extremely good value. A typical return J fare is 10k whereas the cheapest saver I is 8k, so works out a 6k saving. Also applicable one ways fares and results in about 40% saving. I might be trying it out later this year. One could easily hit gold on a simple return trip to the ME, plat if pooling.

Fare pricing for the Complimentary Business Class Companion
Fare offer is based on J class of The Business Flexi fare family and
availability of the offer is subject to seat availability in C class
of The Business Flexi fare family

Last edited by edy4eva; Feb 11, 2015 at 3:17 am
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:29 pm

It's actually extremely good value. A typical return J fare is 10k whereas the cheapest saver I is 8k, so works out a 6k saving. Also applicable one ways fares and results in about 40% saving. I might be trying it out later this year. One could easily hit gold on a simple return trip to the ME, plat if pooling.
I sit corrected!

When I looked in to in once it didn't seem such great value - though I think there was a wider spread in the price difference between J and I fares at the time as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.