Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for getting better fares?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is a particular VX flight that I want to fly, preferably in F. Right now, the only fares that are available are the full-fare refundable tickets for F and MCS, and the full-fare non-refundable or refundable tickets for MC.

Full fare for F is more than I want to spend. According to the seat map, there are just a handful of MC tickets that have been sold, and F an MCS are completely empty so far. The flight is a couple of months away.

I fully expect that, at some point, they will reduce the fares and offer non-refundable F fares. The flight may very well sell out, but probably not at these prices. I've been checking the fare every day. So far, no luck. But, this is a hassle, and I'm lazy. So...

1. Is there a "good time" to check? How far in advance will they usually lower the fares?

2. Is there a good travel site where I can put in my search parameters, and it will email me when the fare drops? It seems that constantly checking the fare is an easily-automatable task. Any suggestions? What do other people use? I would like to restrict my search to a particular flight (or, equivalently, a particular airline with a particular time window)
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton

Sign up for their email list. You'll get an email with any and all applicable fare sales and dates. They typically come 1-2 times/week
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's not at all what I'm talking about. I want to be alerted when a particular flight drops in price.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
What about yapta.com? I rarely use it because it offers little benefit for flexible itineraries (where you don't care about specific dates or flights). On the other hand, if you want to monitor prices for specific flights on specific dates, it might be just the thing.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I found my flight and entered an alert price... now I can just wait for an email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.