FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for getting better fares?
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:00 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tips for getting better fares?

There is a particular VX flight that I want to fly, preferably in F. Right now, the only fares that are available are the full-fare refundable tickets for F and MCS, and the full-fare non-refundable or refundable tickets for MC.

Full fare for F is more than I want to spend. According to the seat map, there are just a handful of MC tickets that have been sold, and F an MCS are completely empty so far. The flight is a couple of months away.

I fully expect that, at some point, they will reduce the fares and offer non-refundable F fares. The flight may very well sell out, but probably not at these prices. I've been checking the fare every day. So far, no luck. But, this is a hassle, and I'm lazy. So...

1. Is there a "good time" to check? How far in advance will they usually lower the fares?

2. Is there a good travel site where I can put in my search parameters, and it will email me when the fare drops? It seems that constantly checking the fare is an easily-automatable task. Any suggestions? What do other people use? I would like to restrict my search to a particular flight (or, equivalently, a particular airline with a particular time window)