Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

70% bonus on purchased elevate pts through Dec 12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Offer:

70% bonus for buying or gifting 6k or more pts (smaller bonuses for buying < 6k). Does not appear to be targeted.

My Analysis:

This values the pts at a little more than 3c each (or a little less than 3c if you include the pts that you get for charging the transaction to your VX CC)

This is not a good deal if you use pts for domestic travel with VX (they are worth 2.2c each then) but it can be a good (not great) deal if you have a particular international partner award in mind, and there is availability

For example, you can fly roundtrip SFO - Asia (various destinations) on Singapore airlines for 40k (economy), 95k (business), or 130k (first) pts + $38 in fees.

You can't buy or receive more than 20k pts in a calendar year, before bonus (so, 34k after the bonus). I think that these are separate totals, so you could buy 20k for yourself (getting 34k) and have a friend gift you another 20k (paying with your credit card) for another 34k. Add in the pts you get for putting the transactions on your VX CC and that's 70k pts for $2080.

(purchase is processed by points.com, so you get 1 elevate pt per $ spent, not 3)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Interesting indeed!!! Was just looking at ways to grow my VX account now that I will be traveling to Asia a bit more these days.

The earn pts route on their partners going there isn't that appealing since they are at a reduced rate per mile traveled. But just might be worth it to just bank pts instead and redeem them later.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Just to be clear: I can buy 20k (34k after bonus) for myself. A friend can also buy 20k (34k after bonus) for me, too?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think so. I'd call and ask to be sure, if it was important to me that I either do both or neither.

I actually think that during FTE, it's a better deal to just fly F to rack up pts. $5k of F fares purchased on the VX visa gets you 115k pts plus status bonus, and 50k status pts (gold next year). Not to mention, you get all those first class flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.