Search

SFO Clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by HNL
If VX lasts that long.
Sigh. I too have my doubts about that, but I sure am rooting for VX to make this work.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:50 pm

Flying VX both as first class passenger and elevate member, have not yet tried Virgin Clubhouse at SFO, I gather pass can be purchased for $40 at check in?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold
Yes, you can purchase it at the check-in counter at SFO. Sometimes you can do it online during check-in too, but the website doesn't always let you. Some things to keep in mind:

1) The Clubhouse is generally open 4 or 4.5 hours before Virgin Atlantic's flight to LHR (VS 20). For the near future, it's schedule at 7:05pm, and the Clubhouse opens around 2:45. The hours listed on Virgin America's website are often outdated -- don't count on them being true. You're better off figuring it out yourself...

2) Some of the SFO check-in staff aren't familiar with the Clubhouse. They'll either say it's not offered anymore, or direct you to the American Airlines lounge in T2, or tell you to buy Clubhouse access at the Clubhouse itself. All of these are incorrect. If necessary, be assertive and don't leave the counter without a receipt for the Clubhouse (if it's open during a time when you can use it, of course).

With these pointers in mind, I think it's totally worth it. The experience itself is fantastic (and much better than Virgin America's own Loft).
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't know about this! I fly VX out of SFO all the time, usually in the late afternoon or early evening.

As a Gold member flying F, can I use it for free? Or do I still have to pay $40?

And, if so, is it worth it for $40? I can also get into the Amex lounge for $50...

EDIT: After searching the VX site, I found my answer. That page is not easy to find. I would have had no idea it was there if not for this thread.

It kind of sucks that I have to pay for it. With Gold you can use the ones in Australia for free.... seems silly not to allow it here.

I will probably just mooch off my friend's Amex Plat and use the Amex lounge for free instead....

Last edited by VegasGambler; Dec 1, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
As a Gold member flying F, can I use it for free? Or do I still have to pay $40?

And, if so, is it worth it for $40? I can also get into the Amex lounge for $50...
I've never been in, but it is apparently one of the best lounges in the USA.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by bayhouse
Yes, you can purchase it at the check-in counter at SFO. Sometimes you can do it online during check-in too, but the website doesn't always let you. Some things to keep in mind:

1) The Clubhouse is generally open 4 or 4.5 hours before Virgin Atlantic's flight to LHR (VS 20). For the near future, it's schedule at 7:05pm, and the Clubhouse opens around 2:45. The hours listed on Virgin America's website are often outdated -- don't count on them being true. You're better off figuring it out yourself...

2) Some of the SFO check-in staff aren't familiar with the Clubhouse. They'll either say it's not offered anymore, or direct you to the American Airlines lounge in T2, or tell you to buy Clubhouse access at the Clubhouse itself. All of these are incorrect. If necessary, be assertive and don't leave the counter without a receipt for the Clubhouse (if it's open during a time when you can use it, of course).

With these pointers in mind, I think it's totally worth it. The experience itself is fantastic (and much better than Virgin America's own Loft).

Thanks a lot. I wonder why the website sometimes doesn't allow online purchase at check in, just glitchy? If you have to buy at check in counter, that means going back to T1 for lounge, then back again to T2 for flight, right?

Is Clubhouse open after VS flight leaves?

Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by adlibitum
Thanks a lot. I wonder why the website sometimes doesn't allow online purchase at check in, just glitchy? If you have to buy at check in counter, that means going back to T1 for lounge, then back again to T2 for flight, right?

Is Clubhouse open after VS flight leaves?

Thanks!
Clubhouse has limited hours.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It kind of sucks that I have to pay for it. With Gold you can use the ones in Australia for free.... seems silly not to allow it here.
I don't think any other domestic carrier in this country offers a lounge for free to elites that is comparable to the VS lounge at SFO. You can have a full, delicious dinner there, and high-end spirits, wines & beers. It's never been crowded when I've been in there, and the staff has always been very pleasant. It's relatively small, but it's certainly among the nicest lounges I've ever visited.

Definitely worth $40 if your VX flight is around the same time as the VS departure to LHR.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:13 pm

And it's stylish!

Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: free agent
Do we know the timing yet of the second seasonal flight that starts this summer? Might change the hours and how busy the Clubhouse gets...
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
I don't think any other domestic carrier in this country offers a lounge for free to elites that is comparable to the VS lounge at SFO. You can have a full, delicious dinner there, and high-end spirits, wines & beers. It's never been crowded when I've been in there, and the staff has always been very pleasant. It's relatively small, but it's certainly among the nicest lounges I've ever visited.

Definitely worth $40 if your VX flight is around the same time as the VS departure to LHR.
Agreed, entirely. Can't add anything that you didn't already say!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Clubhouse has limited hours.
How insightful. I trust that the limited hours were established already. OP asked if the Clubhouse was open after the VS leaves. OP did not ask whether or not the Clubhouse had limited hours. I'm not sure if your answer was intended as a passive aggressive jab against the Clubhouse. If it was, here's a better way to state your thought: "The VS Clubhouse at SFO has sh*tty hours". If your answer sought to be informative, it missed the mark.

Here's an answer to the OP's question:

The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at SFO has operating hours arranged around the Virgin Atlantic SFO-LHR flight(s). It hopes 3 to 3.5 hour prior to departure of the first flight. Since it is not designed to serve the masses (e.g., any other airline; aka, it's dissimilar from the Clubhouse at IAD, which serves a variety of carriers), it closes after the last VS flight leaves. Currently, it leaves at 7:05pm, which means the Clubhouse closes around 6:20pm. If you care to track it yourself, the inbound flight is VS 19 (LHR-SFO) and the outbound flight is VS 20 (SFO-LHR).

Starting this Spring, as someone correctly stated, a second seasonal flight will be added. The general rule is the same. The CH opens 3 to 3.5 hours before the departure of the first flight, and it closes roughly 40 minutes (boarding time) prior to the departure of the last flight. I do not know the exact date on which the second flight begins operating, but I know it is early April 2015. Then, VS 20 and VS 42 will be the SFO-LHR flights operated by Virgin Atlantic. The early April departure times are roughly 6:15pm and 10:15pm, which means the Clubhouse would be open from 2pm (isn) to 9:45pm. (In my opinion, it's much easier to take advantage of with the longer afternoon hours!).

I hope this is helpful; it's about as much as I could glean from staff over the years. Cheers!

Last edited by bayhouse; Dec 3, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:24 pm

How insightful. I trust that the limited hours were established already. OP asked if the Clubhouse was open after the VS leaves. OP did not ask whether or not the Clubhouse had limited hours. I'm not sure if your answer was intended as a passive aggressive jab against the Clubhouse. If it was, here's a better way to state your thought: "The VS Clubhouse at SFO has sh*tty hours". If your answer sought to be informative, it missed the mark.

Here's an answer to the OP's question:

The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at SFO has operating hours arranged around the Virgin Atlantic SFO-LHR flight(s). It hopes 3 to 3.5 hour prior to departure of the first flight. Since it is not designed to serve the masses (e.g., any other airline; aka, it's dissimilar from the Clubhouse at IAD, which serves a variety of carriers), it closes after the last VS flight leaves. Currently, it leaves at 7:05pm, which means the Clubhouse closes around 6:20pm. If you care to track it yourself, the inbound flight is VS 19 (LHR-SFO) and the outbound flight is VS 20 (SFO-LHR).

Starting this Spring, as someone correctly stated, a second seasonal flight will be added. The general rule is the same. The CH opens 3 to 3.5 hours before the departure of the first flight, and it closes roughly 40 minutes (boarding time) prior to the departure of the last flight. I do not know the exact date on which the second flight begins operating, but I know it is early April 2015. Then, VS 20 and VS 42 will be the SFO-LHR flights operated by Virgin Atlantic. The early April departure times are roughly 6:15pm and 10:15pm, which means the Clubhouse would be open from 2pm (isn) to 9:45pm. (In my opinion, it's much easier to take advantage of with the longer afternoon hours!).

I hope this is helpful; it's about as much as I could glean from staff over the years. Cheers!
Great, thank you very much!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:04 pm

I'm not sure if your answer was intended as a passive aggressive jab against the Clubhouse.
If Eastbay1K were interested in dissing the Clubhouse, he probably wouldn't say this about it:

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've never been in, but it is apparently one of the best lounges in the USA.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:07 pm

BTW, while it's been mentioned before, it bears emphasis that the VS Clubhouse is landside in International-A. That's a minor drawback if you're flying on VS to LHR, but it's a significant plus if you're there on a VX pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.