Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
If Eastbay1K were interested in dissing the Clubhouse, he probably wouldn't say this about it:
True. In fact, my "insightful" post was supposed to be longer re: supporting the VS flights but not VX flights, etc., but I was sidetracked and never finished it before submitting. You see, some of us are actually working while we post.

Sincerely,
The Always Insightful Poster
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am now curious to try this clubhouse. My next flight is a late one because they don't have my usual flight (VX918) that day for some reason (I have still not figured out VX's scheduling quirks).

I'm back on 918 (depart @6:10) at the end of the month, though, so I will check out the clubhouse then. I wonder if it will be more or less busy than usual, being right before new years?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I am now curious to try this clubhouse. My next flight is a late one because they don't have my usual flight (VX918) that day for some reason (I have still not figured out VX's scheduling quirks).

I'm back on 918 (depart @6:10) at the end of the month, though, so I will check out the clubhouse then. I wonder if it will be more or less busy than usual, being right before new years?

The number of SFO Clubhouse guests is pretty much capped at the capacity of the VS Upper Class cabin (plus the stray VX guest or two).

Now that the Centurion lounge is open, the Clubhouse isn't the only worthwhile lounge located in another terminal anymore. The fact that it's landslide helps though, if only because I can't stand security screening. I'll probably still stop by the Clubhouse whenever my schedule permits, but I may go to the Centurion lounge during other hours. Too bad the airside lounge in T2 is a mediocre Admirals Club!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I've done three visits. Yes, $40 might seem a bit steep, but it is genuinely an oasis if you are stuck on a long layover. It is a full sit down meal affair with a nice menu and top shelf booze.

I definitely agree it is one of the nicest lounge experiences in the US.

Mind you this lounge is principally for Virgin Upper Class pax.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by ptownca
Mind you this lounge is principally for Virgin Upper Class pax.
Indeed. This is quite different than every other domestic carrier lounge at SFO. Even the United International First lounge can't match the culinary offerings at the VS lounge. In my experience, only the Emirates lounge is on par at SFO.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Sadly, no more JW Blue Label to be had...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried out this lounge before my new years trip. It was quite nice! The meal alone was well worth the $40. I ordered one thing from each of the 3 courses and everything was excellent. Next time I will try to arrive a little earlier so I have time to sample a lot of different things from the bar.

Is it customary to leave a tip for the waitress here? I thought that the service was quite good so I left a $10 tip on the table after I finished my meal and went to relax on one of the chairs in the lounge area (ie, no longer in the dining area), but when I left (and walked by the dining area) I noticed that the money was still sitting on the table. Is that not how it's done here? The fact that it was still sitting there makes me think that I committed a faux pas or something?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I tried out this lounge before my new years trip. It was quite nice! The meal alone was well worth the $40. I ordered one thing from each of the 3 courses and everything was excellent. Next time I will try to arrive a little earlier so I have time to sample a lot of different things from the bar.

Is it customary to leave a tip for the waitress here? I thought that the service was quite good so I left a $10 tip on the table after I finished my meal and went to relax on one of the chairs in the lounge area (ie, no longer in the dining area), but when I left (and walked by the dining area) I noticed that the money was still sitting on the table. Is that not how it's done here? The fact that it was still sitting there makes me think that I committed a faux pas or something?
I'm glad you were able to check it out, and glad you enjoyed your visit!

I've usually experienced stellar service there myself, and almost always tip $10 as well. I hand it to the waitress before I leave, and she's always extremely appreciative.

Tipping at the clubhouses is uncommon, though, in large part because most of the guests are from the UK - where tipping is rare. It's not a social faux pas though. I've occasionally seen others do it, and I think it's totally reasonable when the service is at such high level. Accordingly, the waitstaff are extra grateful because they're not working on the expectstion of tips.

There was a while when I had the same waiter for several visits in a row (spaced a few months apart). Now, whenever I go, I'm greeted by name and she knows exactly what I want!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:38 pm

Hi, thanks for the report, did you have any trouble getting a clubhouse pass during online checkin for your VX flight?

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it just offered it to me when I checked in. I could pick "SFO Lounge: $40" or "No Thanks".

The key is that you can't go through the "No Bags -- express check-in" flow. Even if you have no bags, you need to choose regular (non-express) check-in or it won't offer it to you.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The website seems to be programmed to offer SFO Clubhouse access during certain hours which are suppose to correspond to the Clubhouse's hours of operation. The problem is that Virgin Atlantic's flight schedule changes pretty often, so the hours offered by the website (and listed on VX's lounge info page) are not accurate. This makes it difficult to get Clubhouse access via OLCI: the timing isn't quite right, so it often precludes people who want to visit during hours that the Clubhouse is open.

You can also purchase it at the SFO Checkin counter. Very rarely have I encountered a staff member who (1) believed it was possible or (2) knew how to process it. I normally have to fairly assertive to get them to verify the opening hours and realize that the CH is, in fact, open during the time I have at the airport. Then, they inevitably have to ask a more senior staff member for help w/ how to process it.

Then, several times they've tried to tell me it's $45, when in fact it's $40. Then, they tell me -- almost as if to dissuade me -- that the CH is in the International Terminal and it's a 10 minute walk, and that instead there's an admirals club much closer in T2 I could use but it costs more, as if spending time in an Admirals Club is equal to or better than visiting a Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. Pardon the rant.

The point is that if you can persevere past these obstacles, you can purchase Clubhouse access at the checkin counter. I wish the OLCI option was more accurate, because it's a huge hassle to get it at the checkin counter. This should be less of a problem after March 31, when Virgin Atlantic offers 2 flights daily out of SFO, and thus has extended Clubhouse hours.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I bought it through OLCI it quoted me a time that the lounge closed. It was off, but only by 20 minutes or something like that.

Also, the closing time depends on the departure of the VA flight. If the flight is delayed, the lounge will stay open until boarding starts. As anyone who regularly flies out of SFO is well aware, flights are often delayed out of SFO (especially in winter).
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to try to make it back to the clubhouse... Is it still true that it opens at about 2:45 since VS 20 is still scheduled for 7:05 departure?

Not checking any bags this trip, so I can go straight to the international terminal after checking in online (saving myself the walk one way...)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes, it should still open at around 2:45. It might be 2:30 or 3:00, but it shouldn't be too far off.

I hope to be visiting this Sunday, and will try to remember to ask how they set their hours. It'd be a lot easier to know rather than have to guess.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that they close when they are about to call VS20 for boarding (with some delay to let people get through security). If VS20 is delayed, they will stay open for longer. Last time I was there they told me that they were scheduled to close at 6:20 (but then they stayed open later because VS20 was delayed) so I'd assume that they close 45 min before VS20 is scheduled to depart.

I'd assume that they open a fixed amount of time before VS20, but I have no idea what that amount of time is. I'm not sure if they also open later if they know in advance that VS20 is delayed (I doubt it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.