Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Argh.

It won't let me buy lounge access with OLCI now, presumably because it's too late. It shows it as "closed" and greys it out.

That's really stupid. It should make that decision based on when my flight leaves, not based on what time it is right now (just because I can check in at T-24 doesn't mean I'm headed to the airport at T-24).

To avoid having to go to T2 (and then walk to the international terminal) when I get to SFO, I'm just going to check in when I'm on my way to the airport. How did people live before smartphones?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold
I think it's a matter of your flight's timing, not the timing of when you check in.

If your flight arrives or departs outside of a very narrow range -- a range which DOES NOT reflect the current Clubhouse hours -- OLCI will tell you the lounge is closed. Since the range programmed into the site is wrong, people can be prevented from purchasing lounge access during a time when they could, in theory, visit the clubhouse.

Try again tomorrow, but if I were you I'd plan on having to stop at SFO T2 to get a pass from the counter.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bayhouse
I think it's a matter of your flight's timing, not the timing of when you check in.

If your flight arrives or departs outside of a very narrow range -- a range which DOES NOT reflect the current Clubhouse hours -- OLCI will tell you the lounge is closed. Since the range programmed into the site is wrong, people can be prevented from purchasing lounge access during a time when they could, in theory, visit the clubhouse.

Try again tomorrow, but if I were you I'd plan on having to stop at SFO T2 to get a pass from the counter.
But my flight leaves at 6. The lounge closes at 6:20 (admittedly, VX thinks that the lounge closes at 7) Either way, this is the perfect time to go.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my way to the airport, I try to OLCI again. Still no lounge option. So I go to T2.

I ask about lounge access. First the agent tells me no, we discontinued that program because it's in a different terminal. I mentioned that I was there a couple of weeks ago. Then she tells me that they are closed. I say, no, I don't think so. She tries to call them; no answer (probably had the wrong phone number). She tells me that VS20 does not operate every day. I point out that this is wrong. I say, can you just sell me the pass, and if they are closed I wait until they are open . She says ok, but if you can't get in, I can't refund it. No problem, I say. Then another agent tells me that they don't open until 5. I say, that's not possible; their flight leaves at 7. The other agent suggests that I buy a day-pass to the AA lounge instead for $50. I say, no thanks.

So, she eventually sells me the VS lounge pass for $40. I get to the VS lounge and they are open (of course). I explain how confused the VX agents are and ask about their hours. They say that they currently open at 3, and that they always open 4 hrs before their flight. She also says that they change their flights depending on the season, and they will soon be running 2 flights 5 days a week, and 1 on the other two days. So the lounge will be open a lot longer on those 5 days.

Anyway, I'm at the lounge now. This is a great deal for $40 but I wish that getting the pass wasn't like pulling teeth. I think I'm going to complain to VX that their agents have incorrect information.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
On my way to the airport, I try to OLCI again. Still no lounge option. So I go to T2.

I ask about lounge access. First the agent tells me no, we discontinued that program because it's in a different terminal. I mentioned that I was there a couple of weeks ago. Then she tells me that they are closed. I say, no, I don't think so. She tries to call them; no answer (probably had the wrong phone number). She tells me that VS20 does not operate every day. I point out that this is wrong. I say, can you just sell me the pass, and if they are closed I wait until they are open . She says ok, but if you can't get in, I can't refund it. No problem, I say. Then another agent tells me that they don't open until 5. I say, that's not possible; their flight leaves at 7. The other agent suggests that I buy a day-pass to the AA lounge instead for $50. I say, no thanks.

So, she eventually sells me the VS lounge pass for $40. I get to the VS lounge and they are open (of course). I explain how confused the VX agents are and ask about their hours. They say that they currently open at 3, and that they always open 4 hrs before their flight. She also says that they change their flights depending on the season, and they will soon be running 2 flights 5 days a week, and 1 on the other two days. So the lounge will be open a lot longer on those 5 days.

Anyway, I'm at the lounge now. This is a great deal for $40 but I wish that getting the pass wasn't like pulling teeth. I think I'm going to complain to VX that their agents have incorrect information.
Thanks for the info, sounds like a hassle, OLCI is obviously glitchy. Flying in late March, will arm myself with this info.

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I was leaving the clubhouse, I asked for the phone number.

650-821-9125

If the VX Agents give you a hard time and lead to believe that it might be closed when you think it should be open, and you don't want to risk paying the $40 in case it's closed, you can just call them right then and there.

They should be open from T-4hrs to T-45min for any VS flight departing from SFO. Do not believe anything the VX agents tell you; they are grossly misinformed.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Good to have the phone number, and the "formula" for the clubhouse hours.

I've experienced all of the same issues when trying to purchase clubhouse access at the VX counter. They make it so difficult, I can't imagine anyone who wasn't fully armed with facts being able to succeed with purchasing it. It's a real shame, actually. My favorite is when the tell you that you should use the Admirals Club in T2 instead, which offers horrible alcohol, no free food, and costs more.

I've thought about complaining myself, but i usually don't because I don't want them deciding that offering Clubhouse access isn't worth the hassle. I'd suggest you write to the SFO Station Supervisor about it (rather than Guest Care), because he or she would be in a better position to train staff accordingly. You can get their email from the checkin counters; there's usually a business card there. Now that I think about it, I'll probably follow my own advice and do the same.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
When I was leaving the clubhouse, I asked for the phone number.

650-821-9125

If the VX Agents give you a hard time and lead to believe that it might be closed when you think it should be open, and you don't want to risk paying the $40 in case it's closed, you can just call them right then and there.

They should be open from T-4hrs to T-45min for any VS flight departing from SFO. Do not believe anything the VX agents tell you; they are grossly misinformed.
This.

This is exactly my experience. I did buy the pass at OLCI and found after walking down to Club House it was closed. I arrived;waited until the posted open time. Heard music playing and called, got an unusual for Virgin grumpy response: "No we are closed today, there is no flight. I told VX and they should have known. Bye"

In the FC line, when checking in I specifically mentioned I was going to the Club House. And my flight was WX delayed.

So schlep back to T2 and meet the Head Agent who apologized and immediate refunded my CC.

A bit annoyed, I sent a mail to the service person for SFO from one of the cards at the agent's counter. Got a reply in 90 minutes with a sincere apology and a small credit to my travel bank. The note mentioned this would be one thing they work on to improve communications.

I appreciated the gesture and follow up note.

I did later get the AA Exec Card with Admirals Club privileges. The T2 SFO Admirals Club is definitely one of the better ones. The AAngels are all very friendly and helpful.

If you are stuck on an extended delay, it is a pricey but decent option.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was considering getting the AA Exec card for that lounge as well. Do you feel that it's worth $450 a year?

With the amount that I fly, I would probably spend about that by paying $40 a pop for the clubhouse. If the clubhouse is that much better, I don't really see the point of the AA exec card.

I do have two free passes coming my way (I got the AA plat card). I figured that I'd decide after I tried the lounge.

I'm hoping that there is some reshuffling that will somehow lead to VX building / taking over a lounge in SFO. Once US becomes AA someone is going to move or there will be mass confusion (since AA is currently in T2 and US is currently in T1 -- once there is no more "US metal" and it's all operated by AA, it all needs to be in the same terminal). I figure that either VX will swap with US (I hope not; T1 sucks) or AA will swap with Delta or Southwest. If AA swaps with Southwest it would make sense for VX to buy that lounge; Southwest is way too crappy to have anything as nice as a lounge.

This is probably all wishful thinking on my part...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I was considering getting the AA Exec card for that lounge as well. Do you feel that it's worth $450 a year?

With the amount that I fly, I would probably spend about that by paying $40 a pop for the clubhouse. If the clubhouse is that much better, I don't really see the point of the AA exec card.

I do have two free passes coming my way (I got the AA plat card). I figured that I'd decide after I tried the lounge.

I'm hoping that there is some reshuffling that will somehow lead to VX building / taking over a lounge in SFO. Once US becomes AA someone is going to move or there will be mass confusion (since AA is currently in T2 and US is currently in T1 -- once there is no more "US metal" and it's all operated by AA, it all needs to be in the same terminal). I figure that either VX will swap with US (I hope not; T1 sucks) or AA will swap with Delta or Southwest. If AA swaps with Southwest it would make sense for VX to buy that lounge; Southwest is way too crappy to have anything as nice as a lounge.

This is probably all wishful thinking on my part...
The SFO lounge is a pleasant space, but the F&B selection is awful (albeit I've only been there for AM AA flights). The coffee is putrid, and unless you spend more $, the snackiecake selection is horrible. I'll be there again next week (on an AA trip).

When I fly VX from SFO, I just "suck it up" without a lounge. I sometimes used to use the landside CO lounge before a VX flight, or go through security to use the AS lounge. (Neither of these are current options.) Time permitting, I might now check out the AX lounge from time to time. However, this is one terminal that I'm content to grab an AM coffee, or PM iced tea and plop down at one of the spacious tables with many outlets and set up camp. Alternatively, I'll get a flight at Vino Volo with a snack.

I think the "master plan" is that T-2 was supposed to be temporary space for AA, but it looks like it would be years before they would even have the opportunity to move, given the T-1 construction schedule.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When I fly VX from SFO, I just "suck it up" without a lounge.
I've been showing up at the airport hours earlier just to use the VS lounge! This might change when the novelty wears off. The food is really good though.

Honestly, I see how a lounge is great if you have a long connection, or if your flight is delayed but you are at the airport on time anyway, but for flying out of your home city, it's not really necessary. This is especially true for a landside lounge -- you really do need to intentionally get to the airport early to use it.

I think the "master plan" is that T-2 was supposed to be temporary space for AA, but it looks like it would be years before they would even have the opportunity to move, given the T-1 construction schedule.
Really? So when the name "US Airways" goes away and everything is operated by "AA", some of their flights are going to leave from T1 and some from T2? That will lead to mass confusion. You will have people doing OLCI, or even checking in at the kiosks, and going through security at the wrong terminal. If they don't connect T1 and T2 airside, you are going to have a lot of pissed off people.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Really? So when the name "US Airways" goes away and everything is operated by "AA", some of their flights are going to leave from T1 and some from T2? That will lead to mass confusion. You will have people doing OLCI, or even checking in at the kiosks, and going through security at the wrong terminal. If they don't connect T1 and T2 airside, you are going to have a lot of pissed off people.
AA doesn't have enough SFO service to have "mass confusion."
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I've been showing up at the airport hours earlier just to use the VS lounge! This might change when the novelty wears off. The food is really good though.
I've done the same. If I have time to kill on an afternoon before a flight, I'd gladly spend it at the Clubhouse. I've gone perhaps a dozen times so far (over 3-4 years, maybe) and the novelty hasn't quite worn off yet. It happens in waves that coincide with my travel schedule.

Honestly, I see how a lounge is great if you have a long connection, or if your flight is delayed but you are at the airport on time anyway, but for flying out of your home city, it's not really necessary. This is especially true for a landside lounge -- you really do need to intentionally get to the airport early to use it.
+1
I used to be based in SF, and never saw the point in going there. Now that I'm in LA, I enjoy spending time at the SFO Clubhouse. It's a fun way to end a trip at the last stop before heading home, or a great way to start a trip if you're connecting to a transcon afterwards. I don't mind deliberately planning on it when I have the time, but when the VS Clubhouse doesn't work, I'd rather just sit in the decent T2 instead of pay $50 for the Admirals Club for the "privilege" of choice between horrible wines, snacks, and coffee, or purchasing better refreshments myself.

I recall reading in the Master Plan that the lounge in T2 may become a Virgin Lounge in the distant future -- and the Admirals Club could move to where US is operating. This would occur when Virgin expands to the point where it occupies well more than half, or all, of the gates in T2.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
It won't be any worse than what UA made people deal with when they had flights out of T1 and airside busses to T3. Inconvenient, yes, but still feasible.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yesterday's VS 20 SFO-LHR flight was delayed and eventually postponed until today. Then, today, it was then delayed from 4:30p to 8:30p and it is going to be delayed further. This Virgin Atlantic delay has produced spectacular Clubhouse hours today, as I arrived at SFO at 2pm and learned that the clubhouse was already open, and it's still open as I write this -- which is well after the scheduled VS 20 flight for today.

The folks on yesterday's VS 20 (which has been moved to day at a time *after* today's VS 20) aren't particularly happy, but most of them are just rolling with the punches and drinking to pass the time.

It's cool to see the place run like a normal lounge with longer hours!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.