Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What benefits are being offered on the card's current application page?
Nothing's changed, yet.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I received my 10,000 miles for the card renewal,

My wife applied for a US Air card 4/9 approved, said 40k miles.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Has anyone renewed recently and received their renewal kit? My annual fee is due in May (I think)...I'm interested in whether the next round of companion passes will allow all US and AA metal or just US metal.

As of last week, the 5,000-mile discount on awards only applied to flights wholly on US metal. (Sadly, I figured that out *after* finding award seats...)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Has anyone renewed recently and received their renewal kit? My annual fee is due in May (I think)...I'm interested in whether the next round of companion passes will allow all US and AA metal or just US metal.
As of this week, the anniversary packets look just as they always have & refer only to US. Hard to know how much to read into that.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:03 pm

Here is where I am at.

I have had the AA Mastercard forever. I have about 210,000 AA miles right now.

I am considering the US Airways card right now as they are offering 30,000 bonus miles. I know it will cost me $89, but that's still cheap for 30,000 miles.

Here are my questions:
1. Will the 30,000 miles I earn be given as US Airways miles, but then converted to AA miles once the merger is complete?
2. I already have 2 flights booked on US for mid May. If I get the CC will I still be able to get the free bag? The terms only state (as far as I can see) that I have to have the card active for at least 7 days and my Dividend miles listed on my reservation.

Duds
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Passport Platinum, IHG Platinum and Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by dudspizza
Here is where I am at.

I have had the AA Mastercard forever. I have about 210,000 AA miles right now.

I am considering the US Airways card right now as they are offering 30,000 bonus miles. I know it will cost me $89, but that's still cheap for 30,000 miles.

Here are my questions:
1. Will the 30,000 miles I earn be given as US Airways miles, but then converted to AA miles once the merger is complete?
2. I already have 2 flights booked on US for mid May. If I get the CC will I still be able to get the free bag? The terms only state (as far as I can see) that I have to have the card active for at least 7 days and my Dividend miles listed on my reservation.

Duds
Your Dividend Miles will convert to AA miles once the merger is complete. You will be able to get the free bag for your May trip so long as you the card has been active for at least 7 days before the flight and your Dividend Miles account number is attached to the reservation. I think I read somewhere that the Dividend Miles account number needs to be attached to the reservation at least three days prior to the flight, but I am not certain of this. BTW, there was an application link floating out there in which 10,000 miles are awarded every year the card is renewed. The annual 10,000 miles more than makes up for the $89 annual fee in my opinion.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by richardvf
BTW, there was an application link floating out there in which 10,000 miles are awarded every year the card is renewed. The annual 10,000 miles more than makes up for the $89 annual fee in my opinion.
The companion pass is worth MUCH more than 10k points; only issue is the increased, random cross-fleeting, making it more difficult to make connections on US metal http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-routes.html
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but wanted to mention that I just called to cancel my card. First they offered me a new annual fee card but it's only 1 mile per $2 spent and no other benefits so I said no to it. They then offered to cut my $89 fee in half for this year so I went ahead and kept the card for now. My renewal is coming up April 30.

Just an fyi that they will cut the annual fee in half right now for anyone interested.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:26 pm

I noticed that it says the checked bag policy with the card is domestic flights only. Thoughts on whether it will work on a flight to Canada on US Express metal?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:12 pm

Seriously doubt it. The fine print is still conspicuously missing, as far as I can tell.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I noticed that it says the checked bag policy with the card is domestic flights only. Thoughts on whether it will work on a flight to Canada on US Express metal?
Here's the fine print:

In addition to all the bonus miles and benefits you receive for using your US Airways MasterCard® or Visa® card, you and up to four companions will now enjoy your first eligible checked bag free on domestic US Airways-operated flights. Just make sure your Dividend Miles number is included in your reservation.
Questions and Answers
Q. How do I receive my first checked bag free when I travel on US Airways?
A. For the benefit to apply,
Eligible US Airways Premier World MasterCard®, Visa Signature®, and Visa Business card primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations if travel originates with US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier.
Additionally, up to four companions may each check one bag free of charge if they are listed on the same reservation as the cardmember.
This benefit is available for travel on domestic codeshare flights if the originating flight is operated by US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier.
To qualify, the eligible US Airways MasterCard or Visa card account must be open 7 days prior to air travel and the reservation must include the primary cardmember's US Airways Dividend Miles number.
Cardmembers must check in at a US Airways kiosk or check-in counter.
Overweight and oversized bags are not eligible. If the first bag is overweight or oversized on an eligible domestic flight, $25 of the bag fee will be waived. Please see usairways.com/baggage for baggage weight and size restrictions.
Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply and are subject to change without notice.
Authorized users are not eligible for this benefit.
This benefit cannot be combined with any existing US Airways Preferred program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges.
If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled.
Q. Do I get the first checked bag free on every US Airways flight?
A. Eligible US Airways MasterCard primary cardmembers may check one eligible bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights originating with US Airways or US Airways Express. This benefit will be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with a US Airways flight number but operated by another airline as long as the originating flight is operated by US Airways or US Airways Express.
Q. What is an eligible checked bag?
A. An eligible bag is one that is not overweight or oversize. Please see usairways.com/baggage for baggage weight and size restrictions.
Q. I’m traveling with my family. Can they get a free checked bag?
A. Up to four companions traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get their first checked eligible bag free of charge as long as they’re listed in the same reservation.
Q. Where can I find more information about the US Airways and American Airlines merger?
A. For the most up-to-date information on the merger, visit usairways.com/arriving.

*Terms and conditions
For the benefit to apply, the US Airways MasterCard or Visa account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND the reservation must include the primary cardmember's US Airways Dividend Miles number. This benefit does not apply to Authorized Users. Eligible US Airways MasterCard or Visa card primary cardmembers and up to four customers traveling on the same reservation may each check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights originating with US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier. Cardmembers must check in at a US Airways kiosk or check-in counter to qualify for this benefit. This benefit will be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with a US Airways flight number but operated by another airline if the originating flight is operated by US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier. Waiver does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. If the first bag is overweight or oversized on a domestic flight, $25 of the bag fee will be waived. Please see usairways.com/baggage for baggage weight and size restrictions. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing US Airways Preferred program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

MasterCard and World MasterCard are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated and are used by the issuer pursuant to license. Visa and Visa Signature are registered trademarks of Visa International Service Association and are used by the issuer pursuant to license from Visa U.S.A. Inc.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:45 pm

The red below is what I am wondering about. I applied for my card and it will be active more than 7 days before flight. I already have my Dividend Miles # listed on my reservation. BUT, on the US site, it says that only flights booked on or after April 23 qualify for a free bag. It does not say that anywhere in the fine print of the credit card. I have only seen what is below.

The US info can be found at http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

I have printed out the info below. Do you think I will be fine at the US check in desk or will they hassle me? Flight was booked on December 21, 2013.

Originally Posted by phisher4
Here's the fine print:

In addition to all the bonus miles and benefits you receive for using your US Airways MasterCard® or Visa® card, you and up to four companions will now enjoy your first eligible checked bag free on domestic US Airways-operated flights. Just make sure your Dividend Miles number is included in your reservation.
Questions and Answers
Q. How do I receive my first checked bag free when I travel on US Airways?
A. For the benefit to apply,
Eligible US Airways Premier World MasterCard®, Visa Signature®, and Visa Business card primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations if travel originates with US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier.
Additionally, up to four companions may each check one bag free of charge if they are listed on the same reservation as the cardmember.
This benefit is available for travel on domestic codeshare flights if the originating flight is operated by US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier.
To qualify, the eligible US Airways MasterCard or Visa card account must be open 7 days prior to air travel and the reservation must include the primary cardmember's US Airways Dividend Miles number.
Cardmembers must check in at a US Airways kiosk or check-in counter.
Overweight and oversized bags are not eligible. If the first bag is overweight or oversized on an eligible domestic flight, $25 of the bag fee will be waived. Please see usairways.com/baggage for baggage weight and size restrictions.
Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply and are subject to change without notice.
Authorized users are not eligible for this benefit.
This benefit cannot be combined with any existing US Airways Preferred program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges.
If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled.
Q. Do I get the first checked bag free on every US Airways flight?
A. Eligible US Airways MasterCard primary cardmembers may check one eligible bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights originating with US Airways or US Airways Express. This benefit will be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with a US Airways flight number but operated by another airline as long as the originating flight is operated by US Airways or US Airways Express.
Q. What is an eligible checked bag?
A. An eligible bag is one that is not overweight or oversize. Please see usairways.com/baggage for baggage weight and size restrictions.
Q. I’m traveling with my family. Can they get a free checked bag?
A. Up to four companions traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get their first checked eligible bag free of charge as long as they’re listed in the same reservation.
Q. Where can I find more information about the US Airways and American Airlines merger?
A. For the most up-to-date information on the merger, visit usairways.com/arriving.

*Terms and conditions
For the benefit to apply, the US Airways MasterCard or Visa account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND the reservation must include the primary cardmember's US Airways Dividend Miles number. This benefit does not apply to Authorized Users. Eligible US Airways MasterCard or Visa card primary cardmembers and up to four customers traveling on the same reservation may each check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights originating with US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier. Cardmembers must check in at a US Airways kiosk or check-in counter to qualify for this benefit. This benefit will be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with a US Airways flight number but operated by another airline if the originating flight is operated by US Airways or a US Airways Express carrier. Waiver does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. If the first bag is overweight or oversized on a domestic flight, $25 of the bag fee will be waived. Please see usairways.com/baggage for baggage weight and size restrictions. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing US Airways Preferred program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

MasterCard and World MasterCard are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated and are used by the issuer pursuant to license. Visa and Visa Signature are registered trademarks of Visa International Service Association and are used by the issuer pursuant to license from Visa U.S.A. Inc.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I'm flying to Hawaii on USair. Is Hawaii considered domestic?
Old May 1, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat
The T&Cs say "This benefit cannot be combined with any existing US Airways Preferred program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges". Does that mean if one is Silver Preferred AND uses the MasterCard, only 1 free bag is allowed? If so, this new benefit has no value to US Preferreds.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:35 pm

Would be nice to have a bone thrown at the preferred members, but I would suspect that most US cardholders aren't preferred members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.