Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The AA (Legacy US Airways) Airbus Industrie A330-200

AA announced retirement of the A330-200 in the Oct 2020 earnings report.

Status of reconfiguration
N279AY - NEW
N280AY - NEW
N281AY - NEW
N282AY - NEW
N283AY - NEW
N284AY - NEW
N285AY - NEW
N286AY - NEW
N287AY - NEW
N288AY - NEW
N289AY - NEW
N290AY - NEW
N291AY - NEW
N292AY - NEW
N293AY - NEW
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: The 15 A330-200 (with Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines) are being retained and updated. (The nine Pratt & Whitney equipped A330-300s have been scheduled for retirement (return to lessor at lease end) by late 2018 due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link).) The A330-200s will continue, however, and the launch of the retrofitted A330-200 will see
  • 20 Zodiac "Envoy" type Business seats in a 1-2-1 layout (1 blocked for pilot rest)
  • 21 Premium Economy (B/E Aerospace) seats in a 2-3-2 layout
  • 50 Main Cabin Extra seats (same seats as Y, just greater seat pitch) 2-4-2 (2 blocked for customers requiring customer assistance)
  • Main Cabin / Economy seats also 2-4-2
  • Ku band satellite based Panasonic WiFi
  • Individual personal entertainment screens for every seat
  • Seat power
  • Noise reduction headsets - Bose in Business, others for Premium Economy

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra has been installed on the A330-200 fleet. Until 15 Jan 2018, PE seats were available to Elites as MCE on those aircraft with PE; PE are available for sale on that date.

Link to A330-200 PE and MCE additions article on The Points Guy

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

Link to (non-AA) American Fleet Site, A330-200 page.

For the specific thread about the Zodiac "Envoy" Business seat, please see AA A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330: A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-200

Envoy / Business (20):
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites", all aisle access
* Seats A and H have windows and angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Bose noise reduction headsets on long-haul International flights
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Premium Economy (21):
* Rows 6, 7 and 8 in 2-3-2 layout
* Seat pitch 38"
* Seat width 18.5"
* Non-Bose noise reduction headsets on longhaul
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Main Cabin Extra (54):
* Bulkhead and Exit seats
* Others seem to be in non-standard layout
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

Economy (152):
* Seat pitch 31-32"
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Exits at row 23
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300: A333 in New Livery

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Airbus A330-200 / 332 [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
A330-200 seatbelt airbag

Recently rode on N283AY, seated in row 1 and I noticed seatbelt airbags on all seats in row 1. If anyone knows I'd be very interested in hearing:
- why row 1, why not all rows?
- is this a mandated feature (ie FAA)?
- what is the rational, given most crashes are rarely of the low speed/survivable nature?
As a personal note, I did find the airbag added bulk and was somewhat cumbersome.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Yeah, they're in the bulkhead seats on the new 320s/321s, too.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat
IIRC an FAA regulation went into effect a year or three ago mandating air bags under certain circumstances in all new aircraft. The 332s and some 321s entered service after the rule took effect, and have the special belts. I don't believe there's any requirement to retrofit older aircraft. I don't recall the specifics of the reg, but it was certainly a survivability thing. As for other rows, I seem to recall reading something about airlines with limited pitch needing to ditch seats or install airbags everywhere. If that's the case, I'm assuming that US must have enough seat pitch that it doesn't get snared in that.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Avis First
Here is an article I found while looking around after having been intrigued by your question...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...-airbags_N.htm

It's a little old, but it does seem that several regulations have required these on all carriers (although doesn't give a compliance date). In the box on the left it indicates that US only has them on A330s and A320s.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:17 pm

Question A330-200 (Flight 706)

Hi folks,

I don't know where to post this, but I figured this is the closest thing to US Airways. If I'm wrong, then I apologize.

I am unfamiliar with the Airbus A330 airplane. According to my itinerary, I will be flying in the A330-200, but I'm not sure if it is version 1 or 2. This is the SeatGuru layout for version 1:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_...s_A330-200.php

Anyway, this is the seat layout that I see on my reservations page:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I would like to know if I pay the extra $20 to move my seat number from 28F to a lower number (e.g., seat 15C), will I be able to get off the airplane quicker? I'm not sure where the primary exits are oriented in this airplane. Is the exit oriented in the A or H side?

If I can get off the airplane quicker, what would be the approximate amount of time I can save compared to my original seat?

Thank you!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: None
I guess the first question is "You are flying on US, right?" Other carriers may have different cabin layouts.

The difference between version #1 and #2 is the Envoy layout. Coach remains the same between the 2, and since all A330-200's have the Suites in Envoy there really aren't 2 versions anymore - that's a holdover from when all didn't have the Suites.

Others can probably comment better, but the difference between row 28 and 15 shouldn't mean more than a few minutes difference in deplaning. If you're thinking of which would get you through customs/immegration quicker, I'd say how many international flights arrive about the same time will make a bigger difference.

Note, if you haven't already, the color coding on the seats. One color means that the seat is a "premium" seat while the other is a "Choice" seat. Premium seats are reserved for US FF's until they run out of standard seats, while the Choice seats have a fee to book them (again, until they run out of standard seats). (Since I don't book through the website, I don't remember which coded seats are which.

Also note that the actual seats are no different other than location in the cabin, whether normal, Choice, or preferred.

Jim
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I guess the first question is "You are flying on US, right?" Other carriers may have different cabin layouts.

The difference between version #1 and #2 is the Envoy layout. Coach remains the same between the 2, and since all A330-200's have the Suites in Envoy there really aren't 2 versions anymore - that's a holdover from when all didn't have the Suites.

Others can probably comment better, but the difference between row 28 and 15 shouldn't mean more than a few minutes difference in deplaning. If you're thinking of which would get you through customs/immegration quicker, I'd say how many international flights arrive about the same time will make a bigger difference.

Note, if you haven't already, the color coding on the seats. One color means that the seat is a "premium" seat while the other is a "Choice" seat. Premium seats are reserved for US FF's until they run out of standard seats, while the Choice seats have a fee to book them (again, until they run out of standard seats). (Since I don't book through the website, I don't remember which coded seats are which.

Also note that the actual seats are no different other than location in the cabin, whether normal, Choice, or preferred.

Jim
Thanks, Jim!

Yes, this is on US Airways Flight 706 from PHL to MUC. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 8:50AM local and I have another flight to catch at 11:15AM local. Since I have the flights booked separately (because it was cheaper), then I have to clear out of customs first, pick up my luggage, and check-in with the second airline. So, I figured the more minutes I can shave off, the more time I can allocate to other steps such as clearing customs or security.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Qacer
Thanks, Jim!
No problem. Hope all works out for your trip.

Jim
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Qacer
Yes, this is on US Airways Flight 706 from PHL to MUC. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 8:50AM local and I have another flight to catch at 11:15AM local. Since I have the flights booked separately (because it was cheaper), then I have to clear out of customs first, pick up my luggage, and check-in with the second airline. So, I figured the more minutes I can shave off, the more time I can allocate to other steps such as clearing customs or security.
Is your second flight on another Star Alliance carrier, such as LH? If so, when you check bags at PHL, you can ask them if they could check your bag all the way through to the final destination. You'll still have to claim and go through customs/immigration, but you could then do some sort of internal transfer. I've seen signs for it, but never done it. Doing this would save some time for security.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Is your second flight on another Star Alliance carrier, such as LH? If so, when you check bags at PHL, you can ask them if they could check your bag all the way through to the final destination. You'll still have to claim and go through customs/immigration, but you could then do some sort of internal transfer. I've seen signs for it, but never done it. Doing this would save some time for security.
From another thread, US Airways and Aegean are members of Star Alliance. I was told that I can try doing an interline transfer at my departing airport, so I'll definitely try this out. Hopefully, this will go through without a hitch. Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:17 pm

Aegean is definitely a member of the Star Alliance. You may have to show the people at the ticket counter where you first check in your ticket on Aegean, But I wouldn't think checking it through should be a problem.

Others may know, but it occurs to me that you may be able to skip customs/immigration in MUC if you are only connecting to another flight going beyond Germany. I don't know the layout of MUC well enough to know if that's possible or not.

Jim
Old May 15, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: US Gold Preferred, Hyatt Plat
Envoy to Madrid via PHL

Hey... just scored award ticket CLT-MAD for 60K miles in ENVOY! Question is I booked seat 2 A on the A330-200 .... anyone have suggestions as to is this seat good or too close to the LOO or where to sit ? Thanks yall!
Old May 15, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
That's a good seat. I think you'll be quite happy with any of the window seats on the A330-200.

Check out www.seatguru.com

They still show two layouts for the A330-200 - be sure to use the updated with suites seating chart which shows only single angled suites on the window rows.

Enjoy MAD!
Old May 15, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: US C.P.
you might want to double check. Unless I am mistaken, CLT-MAD is serviced by a 767
Old May 15, 2011, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by itsme110
you might want to double check. Unless I am mistaken, CLT-MAD is serviced by a 767
Maybe the OP is flying through PHL picking up flight 740 to MAD. But, even at that, I think the PHL flight is a 330-300.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.