Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canceling USAirways MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by MFLetou
Anyway, as this poster said, they then continued to charge me interest even though the account was closed. It took several phone calls to resolve it, and I finally found a supervisor who was professional, told me it was inexcusable and took credit me account the interest charged. Eventually I paid the card off but they never touched any of the miles.
Can you explain why a credit card should stop charging you interest on an outstanding balance just because the account has been closed?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by lupara
Now they've charged me interest on the statement that closed after I paid the account in full.
If this is indeed the case, you might be in a position to start a class-action suit. From my understanding, two-cycle billing was made illegal by the CARD Act.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:01 pm

i need to call them soon to either cancel, downgrade, or ask for an annual fee refund or something.

i never am able to use the $99 companion certificates (plus i don't seem to get them until like april and then have 2months to use them), already have us airways club access, and am chairman so already board first.

the only reason i have the card is 1) i've had it a while and don't want to affect my credit report, 2) have bought some things that still have warranties on them and 3) too lazy

so any tips on getting an annual fee refund or any other disadvantages to downgrading to the cheaper card? (i.e. does one not offer baggage or lesser warranty or price protection insurance or something or give you less miles per dollar?)
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by 5.9LITRE
i need to call them soon to either cancel, downgrade, or ask for an annual fee refund or something.

i never am able to use the $99 companion certificates (plus i don't seem to get them until like april and then have 2months to use them), already have us airways club access, and am chairman so already board first.

the only reason i have the card is 1) i've had it a while and don't want to affect my credit report, 2) have bought some things that still have warranties on them and 3) too lazy

so any tips on getting an annual fee refund or any other disadvantages to downgrading to the cheaper card? (i.e. does one not offer baggage or lesser warranty or price protection insurance or something or give you less miles per dollar?)

related question, but has anyone been able to switch to the no fee card and still get Dividend Mile Select Benefits? 5000k discount on redemption?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:29 pm

I just did this offer only to get the miles. How long after I make a purchase will the miles get put in my account?

Thanks,
Old May 13, 2011, 3:32 pm

Retention offer update:

I charge about $500-$1,000 per month and pay in full. My retention offers were:
  • 25% discount on annual fee and 2,500 miles
  • 0% balance transfer or $15,000 deposit into my checking account
  • Interest rare drop to 14%

I declined all offers...I may re-apply later this year for sign on bonus again.

I have to givem them credit. They tried different offers but I was just not profitable to them so no offer was particularly good. They tried to explain card benefits and scare me that I would lose miles if I cancelled.
Old May 13, 2011, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA and more
Originally Posted by mileshound
Retention offer update:

I declined all offers...I may re-apply later this year for sign on bonus again.

I have to givem them credit. They tried different offers but I was just not profitable to them so no offer was particularly good. They tried to explain card benefits and scare me that I would lose miles if I cancelled.
$15000 deposit? huh?
can you elaborate?
Old May 14, 2011, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by lksf
$15000 deposit? huh?
can you elaborate?
Deposit was a cash advance as an alternative to transferring balances. I think there was a taser interest rate but I was forget what it was.
Old May 14, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Deposit was a cash advance as an alternative to transferring balances. I think there was a taser interest rate but I was forget what it was.
Is that an interest rate that is shocking?
Old May 14, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
Retention offer update:

Do I understand that you called to cancel and they made you this offer? Given that you pay in full monthly, items 2 and 3 are valueless. Item 1 has a max value of $25 or so. Big whoop!

Prodded AMEX again this week to make a deal with US (I prod them both regularly, alas, in vain). If it were not for the PQM's at $25k Barclay's would be toast.

I want a US AMEX like the DL AMEX.
Old May 14, 2011, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by airgator
Do I understand that you called to cancel and they made you this offer? Given that you pay in full monthly, items 2 and 3 are valueless. Item 1 has a max value of $25 or so. Big whoop!
I did not expect a good retention offer since I did not spend that much on the card and paid no interest. I am not a profitable customer.

The $15,000 cash advance instead of a balance trensfer may well have been at 0% like the BT offer, but I did not care. Whatever benefit I got from that money would have been less than the anual fee they were asking for.

Since this card is churnable I will wait a bit and apply again to get the bonus. If I have to pay $89 for 25,000 miles, that is ok. Who knows, I may even have a use for the companion benefit or the club pass.

Oh crap, that reminded me. In the past I waited to cancel until the new club pass was in hand. Ooops, but no big loss.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Reporting back my experience.

No miles were ever deducted from my card after cancelling.

I applied again when I was offered a first year free (as a elite, I think) and got another first year bonus.

I don't use the card except for the sign on bonus or the Grand Slam (if that ever happens again).

For all the [justified] groaning. These cards have been an excellent source of free miles for me.

(Now if only I can make the vacation schedule work to use the miles...)
Old May 15, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Since this card is churnable I will wait a bit and apply again to get the bonus.
interesting.

my wife and i both had premier world cards the first week barclay's introduced this card.

i've had mine all along, but my wife canceled hers at one point when she (temporarily) switched her airline allegiance. when she canceled, she was told that she would be henceforth inelgible for the premier world mastercard (but that she could re-apply for the lower-tier card in the future if she wished.

i thought they were talking nonsense. but a year or so later, when her fling with northwest ended, she re-applied for the premier world card and was indeed awarded the lower-tier card instead (despite maintaining impeccable credit all the while). she did receive the lower-tier bonuses and perks.

she decided to cancel her lower-tier card last week. i don't know exactly what they told her (i'd ask her, but she's asleep and i know better), but i know they suggested something similar to her again....that she'd be ineligible for something-or-other if she wished to re-apply. i think they suggested that she would be inelgible for both cards the next time around, but i'm not sure.....

how "churnable" has this card been for others, i wonder....?
Old May 16, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by airgator

Prodded AMEX again this week to make a deal with US (I prod them both regularly, alas, in vain). If it were not for the PQM's at $25k Barclay's would be toast.

I want a US AMEX like the DL AMEX.
I'd like that as well, but alas did the 75K AA Amex offer to get an AMEX after I canceled the Delta AMEX last December.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, UA Silver; 800K+ points 2012
Not sure if things have changed or if I just got lucky... I called Barclays to cancel my card today; was a pleasant conversation and the card was cancelled within 5-10 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.