Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canceling USAirways MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:47 am

I've just acquired a Barclays/USAir Mastercard, and I'm less than thrilled. First, the miles award was less than originally promised on the 'pre-approved' (and presumably targeted) offer I'd received via snail mail; then they refused to meet even that reduced award; now they've reconsidered, but will pay the reduced award only when the annual fee is paid, and they will take one or two billing cycles to post. I believe that their business practices are sloppy at best and misrepresentative at worst.

I have some Dividend Miles sitting in my account, too many to just abandon and not enough (yet) to use for any kind of worthwhile award. But for those, I would have told Barclays and USAir to pi$$ off when they started their nonsense. Most trouble and aggravation I've ever had with a CC issuer.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
At least they have not taken actually taken the miles off my DM account, yet? (9 days since cancelling 7 days since the DMS button went away).
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:25 am

I emailed Barclays yesterday and asked for a card with no annual fee because I was not interested in renewing and paying the annual fee again. They responded that currently they don't have any offers for no annual fees but I should check back next month. Is this a normal response or are they hinting that a new offer is coming out next month without an annual fee?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: A few
I had similar bad experience with US credit card from barclays. Signed up for the 20k offer but they only gave me 10k after giving me the lower card. I canceled a couple of weeks ago via email. They at least canceled it quickly and I have not seen any attempt to remove miles. I put $1,001 on the card. $1k in mint purchases to get the initial bonus, then put $1 on a utility bill to get grand slam credit. Normally I try to put more "normal" business on an account but this one felt like it sucked
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:06 am

STAY AWAY from US Air Master Card / Barclays

I have had the worst customer service experience ever from Barclays. They are absolutely a disgrace. Someone needs to let Tempe Arizona Corporate know how bad this affinity relationship is hurting US Air.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by swat16
I emailed Barclays yesterday and asked for a card with no annual fee because I was not interested in renewing and paying the annual fee again. They responded that currently they don't have any offers for no annual fees but I should check back next month. Is this a normal response or are they hinting that a new offer is coming out next month without an annual fee?
No, this just means that they want you to keep the card and continue to pay the yearly fee.

Originally Posted by Centurion
I have had the worst customer service experience ever from Barclays. They are absolutely a disgrace. Someone needs to let Tempe Arizona Corporate know how bad this affinity relationship is hurting US Air.
This is something that you can do. Write to [email protected].

I don't understand it either. Barclay's is not a good partner fit for US Airways but for some reason US seems to continue to push it. I may have had my head in the clouds at the point when Bank of America Visa was the credit card partner, but I don't remember the constant push to encourage people to sign up for the Visa. I believe BOA was a much better product.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:45 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
No fee card?

Does anyone have info on this "no fee" version of the card? I know the earn rate probably sucks, but I just want to have something to keep my orphan miles alive relatively easily. TIA.

LAX
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by LAX
Does anyone have info on this "no fee" version of the card? I know the earn rate probably sucks, but I just want to have something to keep my orphan miles alive relatively easily. TIA.

LAX
I don't have any experience with it personally, but from what I have read on here, it's a retention offer only. Basically, someone has an annual fee card and calls to cancel it and are offered the no-fee version that earns ½ mile per $1 spent.

If you're only looking for some activity on your account to keep your miles from expanding, I'd say something like the dividend miles dining program would be less of a hassle.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lupara
I've had a USAirways MC since 2006, paid on time and never over limit. I earned enough miles for a 1st class ticket to Italy...still haven't cashed in, though. I'll let you know what they tell me about all the miles I've earned.

I told USAirways how their "partner" treated me, and may follow with a BBB case if they don't make it right. I don't need the credit, and I surely don't need the pain! DL & CO/UA will be seeing more of me--life is too short to mess around with crooked people or companies.
        I know this is old, but...I had the Juniper card and had this exact thing happened to me. I had the card for years and accumulated a lot of miles (and never redeemed them, until now actually for a trip I'm taking next week.) But basically out of nowhere, they jacked my rate up to ridiculous levels and when I called to try to negotiate it, they assured me they would "take care of me" but refused to say what the actual APR would be. Since I'm not stupid, I told them either give me a number I like or close the account. They said they weren't authorized to, I told them to close account. They told me they were very sorry I had chosen to end my relationship, I told them the choice was entirely theirs.

Anyway, as this poster said, they then continued to charge me interest even though the account was closed. It took several phone calls to resolve it, and I finally found a supervisor who was professional, told me it was inexcusable and took credit me account the interest charged. Eventually I paid the card off but they never touched any of the miles. See, once the miles have been "transferred" to the airline, that's it. They can't "un" transfer them.
        Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
        Any suggestions for escalating an issue with Barclays either within USAir or Barclays. I am not getting very far with India or wherever their call center is.

I have a Premier World USAir card. Thats what it says on my card. I pay $79 a year and I am getting a 5000mile discount on award tickets purchased on USAirways.com So I am pretty sure I have a "Premier Card" (It says so on the card.)

In Jan 2010 I got my anniversary packet in the mail. It contained one $149 companion certificate. No club pass. My understanding is that I am supposed to recieve two $99 certificates and one club pass.

I called Feb/Mar 2010 and complained. Got a run around telling me I didn't have a premier card. Finally got a ticket open and they told me they would send out a new kit. Suprise Suprise, that never happened.

Never did anything about it since I really don't need the club pass and was sure the certs would expire before I finally got them.

I got my renewal notice and it agains says one $149 companion certificate and 5000 miles off of award travel.

When I called they again insisted that I don't have a premier world card since my fee is $79. Well $79 doesn't fit in either category. Either the World $49 or the Premier World $89. They transferred me back to USAir who of course had no clue.

I *HATE* Barclays. The only real reason I keep the card around is the 5k discount on reward flights. I haven't really had the need for the companion certificates. Thinking of just giving up. I figure the worse thing that could happen if I keep calling is that I get my fee raised to $89. Altough I understand that the fee is not supposed to be raised for existing customers.
        Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:24 pm

I also hate Barclays. I called to cancel my card and was offered the no annual fee 1/2 point/dollar spent card.

The odd thing is that my US Visa card was never converted to Barclays (stayed at BOA) and I have never been charged an annual fee in the past 8-9 years since having the card.
        Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
        Just a point of clarification for all readers. Many people refer to "2 $99 companion certificates" but this is not right. What you get is 1 certificate good for up to 2 companions @ $99. In other words, if you take one companion with you, you do not get to take another companion with you on another flight.
        Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by travellerK
        Last time I wanted to cancel a US Card:
        1. They gave you $40 off the annual fee just for asking
        2. There was an option of a no annual fee version (earns less miles and no club day pass).
        3. When I did eventually cancel I did not lose any miles.

I am going to have this issue again soon, so let us know how it goes
        Do you think it's better to cancel via email or call? I asked via email whether they would give me the benefits that new cardholders are getting and they said no. I emailed and said I'd probably cancel (I have to crunch numbers to whether I'll be close to spending enough to get the 10,000 Preferred Miles) and they replied, with OK, let us know when to cancel it.
        Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
        Originally Posted by ellinj
        Any suggestions for escalating an issue with Barclays either within USAir or Barclays. I am not getting very far with India or wherever their call center is.

I got my renewal notice and it agains says one $149 companion certificate and 5000 miles off of award travel.

When I called they again insisted that I don't have a premier world card since my fee is $79. Well $79 doesn't fit in either category. Either the World $49 or the Premier World $89. They transferred me back to USAir who of course had no clue.

I *HATE* Barclays. The only real reason I keep the card around is the 5k discount on reward flights. I haven't really had the need for the companion certificates. Thinking of just giving up. I figure the worse thing that could happen if I keep calling is that I get my fee raised to $89. Altough I understand that the fee is not supposed to be raised for existing customers.
        Originally Posted by j_mee
        I also hate Barclays. I called to cancel my card and was offered the no annual fee 1/2 point/dollar spent card.

The odd thing is that my US Visa card was never converted to Barclays (stayed at BOA) and I have never been charged an annual fee in the past 8-9 years since having the card.
        Let's make that three for a very strong dislike for Barclay's as well. Same bait and switch. No logic to their awarding either the Premier or Basic card. So when you call to question or cancel, they either a)lower the fee b) do away with the fee - or don't care if you cancel. Either way, the cardholder is screwed because you are not getting the product they are hawking on planes and pushing on the US website. I think maybe complaints (to whomever one complains to) should be made about the company using enticements and then not honoring the offer. What agency would be the best?

I don't even get the 5K discount for award travel. I refuse to use the card except for Grand Slam and perhaps one other time a year to keep the account 'active.' Barclay's can take their card, their outsource customer service department and...... well, take a hike!
        Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:33 am

This post really got on my nerves, so I emailed [email protected] as MiffSC suggested. Here's what I sent:
        I just want you to know how dissatisfied I am with the Barclay's card vs
        the Bank of America card. Barclay's customer service is terrible, and
        they are dishonest. I want to share with you this post on FlyerTalk,
        where numerous cardholders have been lied to by Barclay's:
        http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...astercard.html
        US Airways should either go back to BofA, or choose another partner
        which is reputable. A partner should enhance US Airways, not detract.
        Regards, -Mykle-

Here's the reply I received today (bolding by me):
        Dear Mr. -Mykle-,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. We have forwarded
        your feedback to our management team and Barclays Bank's training
        department, as it is important that our customers are receiving correct
        information.

We would also like to take this opportunity to clarify the information.
        If a US Airways Dividend Miles cardholder elects to cancel his US
        Airways credit card, the miles he earned in his Dividend Miles account
        using the credit card are not deducted from his Dividend Miles account.
        They will remain in the account for future award redemption.

However, all miles earned in a member's Dividend Miles account are
        subject to the Dividend Miles program Reactivation policy. To stay
        active and retain the miles in your Dividend Miles account, you must
        have earned activity or redeemed awards in the last 18 months. For more
        information, visit our website at http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...mberguide.html

We apologize for any difficulties you've encountered with our bank
        partner. We do expect professionalism and efficiency from our partners,
        as we realize the inconvenience any mishandling can create for our
        customers.

Thank you for being a member of our Dividend Miles program. We look
        forward to assisting you with any future needs.

Sincerely,
        US Airways Dividend Miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.