Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US fare booking class / classes "codes" align with AA [1 Feb 2015 ]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; contents may be printed by using (lower right wiki corner.

Fare classes for travel before February 1, 2015
Code:
Class of service           Fare class                Accrual rate
Business Class	           C, D, Z	             150%
Business Class upgrade	   J	                     100%
First Class	           A, F	                     150%
First Class upgrade	   O, P	                     100%
Economy	                   B, E, G, H, K, L, M, N, 
                           Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, Y    100%
Fare classes for travel on or after February 1, 2015

Code:
Class of service             Fare class               Accrual rate
Business class	             J, R, D, I	              150%
Business Class upgrade	     C	                      100%
First Class	             F, P, A                  150% 
First Class upgrade	     X, A         	      100%
Economy	                     Y, B, H, K, M, L, W, 
                             V, G, S, N, Q, O	      100%
Terms & Conditions

* All accrual amounts based on purchased class not flown class. Itineraries upgraded into A will accrue at the normal coach rate of 100%. Purchased A class itineraries only will receive 150% accrual. (Note: used color coding; asterisks throw CODE off.)

Source: US Airways: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../airlines.html

CWSI.net listing of all AA fare codes: http://cwsi.net/aa.htm
Print Wikipost

New US fare booking class / classes "codes" align with AA [1 Feb 2015 ]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been tearing my hair out trying to book award reservations to LHR in Business or First for September and when I put them on Hold, the long-haul back home (LHR back to North America) shows up as U Class (which would be consistent with AA's Business Class award level) but "Cabin" is "Economy". Naturally we want to avoid Economy. What's weird is that the flight out (PHX to LHR) is also U but Cabin is "Business".

Is there a risk we'll end up in the back of the bus from LHR to North America if we book this? Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: WFBF
Whee.

Last set of upgrades just cleared for an upcoming trip, and two of the segments show as "First (O)" (with seats selected in F) and the other two as "First (A)" (again with seats selected in F). What fun these changes are.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
No Upgrade Email? Booking Code for Complimentary Upgrades O=X and P=A as of Feb 1?

Hi,

It may be that as of 2/1 US is changing the booking code used for complimentary upgrades. Discount fare upgrades used to book in O class and now they will book in to X. Full fare upgrades used to book in P class, and they may now book int to A. Does anyone know if these are the inventory booking codes used by AA?

I have a roundtrip in early Feb and as a CP both segments are showing now booked in O class, but the seat maps still show economy seating options. Also X and A on http://m.expertflyer.com show 0 seats available, and also there is no O class shwoing in the availability. F class shows F9.

I have a couple of questions and OBSERVATIONS:

1. Is this being changed to make AA booking codes consistent?

2. Are they using a special procedure for reservations around the Feb 1 time frame, i.e. my reservation shows booked in O, but I can't select a first class seat and I have not received any upgrade processing email. Are they maybe letting certain PNR's sit in O class, and then a batch job at the 11th hour is going to convert the PNR's to X class on discounted upgrades?

3. Are other DM members not receiving the typical upgrade status emails for trips around the Feb 1 time period?

4. AA is said to hold back more seats for processing at the gate, is US going to move to this kind of model?

Observations:

1. Phone reps either don't know what is going on, or won't tell you. If I was a phone rep, I would go to the IT or marketing groups directly, I would be dying of curiosity about why I was seeing this odd condition in the PNRs? Phone reps are just saying that they are holding back seats for no particular reason. Phone reps are not admitting that this is odd, they are trying to have me pretend that all is normal. It is like they know something but won't say it, or aren't supposed to say anything. I was lucky I guess they told me about the booking code changes.

2. This should have been communicated to elite members. They could have said in a funny way that most flyers won't notice anything, but for those of you who geek out about your reservations you may notice this change.

3. Its odd too nothing on @BoardingArea but they may not have hbloggers who are heavy heavy US flyers. I checked last night for a thread here, but nothing; unless its been posted overnight.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
No upgrade email 7 days out when traveling with companion

I got my upgrade (and email) for my business flight already for next Thursday, Feb 5th, and I'm traveling alone. I did not get an email notice that it tried to upgrade, however for next Friday, Feb 6th, as I am traveling for leisure with my companion (US Gold).

Has this policy changed then to not allow companion traveler Be upgraded until their window of time, even though we are on the same PNR and I'm CP? does the US Gold passenger now have to use upgrades or pay $?

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Update on Feb Trip Orig Ticket In E Now O But No Upgrade

I looked at my original receipt and it was booked in a coach E booking code, but now on the web PNR I am booked in O but still assigned to a coach seat and restricted to only coach seats on the map. X is sold out on the flight, but F9. I imagine they are going maybe to switch all PNRs with O in to X maybe for the overnight on Feb 1? I wonder though why the O class is still mapping to economy, does AA use booking code O for an economy class?

It is still very Disingenuous how they have handled this from a communication perspective. Obviously the PNR went from E to O, and they are also doing something strange holding back all X seats; and their reps are just saying that all is normal. The reps should at least be telling customers that there are unusual procedures going on with PNRs around the Feb 1 to Feb 7 travel period due to the alignment of booking codes.

Why didn't they jjust leave all in a code like Y or E until Feb 1 if O is now really coach?

I wonder if its going to be more like:

Option 1: Any post Feb 1 PNR that is booked in O or P is going to automatically transition to the new first X and A booking codes and be confirmed in first. In other words if your PNR is in O or P you should assume your upgrade has gone through and you should be able to select a F seat on Feb 1.

or

Option 2: Even though post Feb 1 PNRs were moved to O or possibly P booking codes based on the legacy US procedures, these PNRs post Feb 1 will just go in to the upgrade queue and be again changed to the new codes X or A. In other words, just because your PNR shows O or P now, it doesn't mean you'll be getting the upgrade you'll just be in line on the night or morning of Feb 1 for an upgrade? Just because your PNR is in O or P now, you should not asume your upgrade is confirmed.
I'm also curious if there will be changes in the availability of X inventory when compared to O. I know with ExpertFlyer you can view X inventory right with all the other revenue buckets. I doubt that EF has modified their upgrade logic for US by now yet prior to Feb 1.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
For tickets purchased earlier this week for travel Monday via corporate booking tool, my discount economy (W) seats were upgraded to A.

Changes were made to bring the US classes inline with the AA classes, and I believe the batch process happened a weekend or two ago (there were some other threads about weirdness)

In the last few months, I've noticed my CP upgrades may not clear at the current 7 day window, but always within 4 days (perhaps in line with the EXP standard 100 hr window)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:11 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Hi,

It may be that as of 2/1 US is changing the booking code used for complimentary upgrades. Discount fare upgrades used to book in O class and now they will book in to X. Full fare upgrades used to book in P class, and they may now book int to A.
Hi folks, you might want to know that according to our contacts at AA, all US First upgrades will book into A class starting Feb 1. X class is reserved "for future use".
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by jetsetter
It is still very Disingenuous how they have handled this from a communication perspective. Obviously the PNR went from E to O, and they are also doing something strange holding back all X seats; and their reps are just saying that all is normal. The reps should at least be telling customers that there are unusual procedures going on with PNRs around the Feb 1 to Feb 7 travel period due to the alignment of booking codes.
I do agree with you, and yes, they definitely should have sent out a communication about this. But if you check the Wiki at the top of this thread, it's pretty self explanatory.

The "batch" to update the future flights has already been run. If your flight is on or after 2/1, then the booking codes you see on your reservation NOW are from the second table. In other words, an "O" seen now for a flight after 2/1 is in coach. If you do get upgraded, you'll be upgraded into "A". That's the availability you want to check for in EF (EF has now fixed this).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
US Gold member here. I have flights on Sunday, February 1 that have changed within the upgrade window from their Y-fare booking code to O, usually indicating an auto upgrade. However, the F seatmap is not visible and I am still in my original coach seats. I suspect these upgrades for Sunday will be processed in a one-time batch in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

Also, no e-mail for this flight, neither the "no upgrades" or "upgrades confirmed" e-mail. Possibly they disabled e-mails for this particular day to avoid a ton of inbound questions.

My guess is a special process had to be designed for the switchover day.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by fastflyer
US Gold member here. I have flights on Sunday, February 1 that have changed within the upgrade window from their Y-fare booking code to O, usually indicating an auto upgrade. However, the F seatmap is not visible and I am still in my original coach seats. I suspect these upgrades for Sunday will be processed in a one-time batch in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

Also, no e-mail for this flight, neither the "no upgrades" or "upgrades confirmed" e-mail. Possibly they disabled e-mails for this particular day to avoid a ton of inbound questions.

My guess is a special process had to be designed for the switchover day.
Read the thread! For flights ON OR AFTER FEB 1 (which yours is), O is now COACH, not an auto-upgrade.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Well, it's 2 Feb, and apparently the problem still exists. No upgrade email for my Thursday flights (booked in the new O).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Carl
Well, it's 2 Feb, and apparently the problem still exists. No upgrade email for my Thursday flights (booked in the new O).
What flight?

My flight tonight, upgraded to new A, is showing bonus miles will earn 150%... Not the 100% promised for upgrades.

I wonder if this glitch will post...

Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by Flyer78
My flight tonight, upgraded to new A, is showing bonus miles will earn 150%... Not the 100% promised for upgrades.

I wonder if this glitch will post...

How are you able to view the to-be-earned miles? I could do this before when they offered DM Multiplier, but that option no longer shows for my upcoming trip. I'm guessing that program has been cancelled, although it still appears on an informational page with no indication that it's discontinued.

UPDATE: Just checked my itinerary again (it had been a couple of hours since last refresh), and I'm now booked in A instead of O. (Still no email.) I was upgraded on both segments, but I have no seat assignment on the first leg. That's the first time I've seen that for an upgrade. I guess I'll be able to pick a bulkhead when those open up 24 hours before the flight (or do they appear the calendar day before?).

Additional Update: Just got the email, which shows me as upgraded on both legs (except instead of saying seat not available, it shows my original coach seat on that leg as if it's the upgrade). Can anyone confirm that they've switched to the 72-hour upgrade window? Perhaps that's why the upgrade happened when it did, followed by the email. I tried creating a seat alert on Expert Flyer, but it seems to do nothing (it doesn't produce an error or act like there's a problem, but no alert is created).

Last edited by Carl; Feb 2, 2015 at 9:43 am Reason: Updates
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:05 am

It does seem that they've changed the upgrades to be based on flight time - x hours, rather than x days prior. Fortunately for me, 3/4 upgrades cleared but the emails came through at strange intervals (rather than the usual midnight PST).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Carl
How are you able to view the to-be-earned miles? I could do this before when they offered DM Multiplier, but that option no longer shows for my upcoming trip. I'm guessing that program has been cancelled, although it still appears on an informational page with no indication that it's discontinued.
This is a snippet of the DM Multipler page presented on checkin. It appears the program is still in place... I am more curious once I see what gets credited... Could just be a glitch in this page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.