Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: UA (1k) lifetime gold, AA (EP), Starwood (Life Plat), Hilton (Gold)
So October seems pretty safe.

Man I hope so. I've yet to book a flight to Australia in September. I need the miles to go to US to maintain C status so want to make sure of which carrier I book!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
If you think 1W is the "crappiest alliance in the world" the you NEVER have tried to pull a reward ticket on Sky Team (aka Sky Scream)!!!
I have. Delta never has any low availability when I look. So I did something even dumber - I tried to book an award on Alitalia (with AZ, not DL). They have availability because FlyingBlue will let be book it, but AZ shows nothing and when I call in the agents are even worse.

Is there a good airline in SkyTeam? OW might not be as good as *A, but at least you can burn BA Avios for short haul RT's at a very nice rate.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by 6P&E
There's a reason DL Skymiles have no expiration date. You can't use them to begin with.
Consider them pre-expired for your convenience
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Is there a good airline in SkyTeam?
Korean.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
PHX-MIA

PHX-MIA services resumes Oct 27. Obviously a connection into the AA MIA hub.

(Sorry if posted elsewhere - search turned up no posts).

http://airlineroute.net/2013/07/10/us-phxmia-w13/
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:25 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JerryFF
PHX-MIA services resumes Oct 27. Obviously a connection into the AA MIA hub.

(Sorry if posted elsewhere - search turned up no posts).

http://airlineroute.net/2013/07/10/us-phxmia-w13/
^^^^^
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:57 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Question Okay...

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Korean.
I GUESS the question that begs to be asked is how EASY is it to pull reward seats on Korean Air???
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:43 pm

Just wondering, does anyone think there's a chance that US + AA miles will count together for 2014 status? Is that precedented in airline mergers? I may fly a transcon on AS pretty soon and I was thinking I'd credit the miles to AA if it were a possibility.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: None
I may fly a transcon on AS pretty soon and I was thinking I'd credit the miles to AA if it were a possibility.
You have very few options anyway, unless you have accounts at foreign carriers - AS, AA, or DL.

Jim
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wondering, does anyone think there's a chance that US + AA miles will count together for 2014 status? Is that precedented in airline mergers? I may fly a transcon on AS pretty soon and I was thinking I'd credit the miles to AA if it were a possibility.
Sure, it's possible. Is new AA likely to combine the 2013 flight activity on PMUS plus PMAA to determine your 2014 status? I would NOT count on it. So far, Parker has not given us any hints to answer that question.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I GUESS the question that begs to be asked is how EASY is it to pull reward seats on Korean Air???
Great point- I have only booked revenue tickets on Korean so I don't really know how easy or difficult it is- Korean often has very good prices in J particularly to Asian destinations.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Decent if you do UR->KE, from what I hear (as long as you don't mind submitting reams of paperwork ).

Might not be so great using SkyPesos™->KE.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Sure, it's possible. Is new AA likely to combine the 2013 flight activity on PMUS plus PMAA to determine your 2014 status? I would NOT count on it. So far, Parker has not given us any hints to answer that question.
Yeah, I also wouldn't bet on it. What I would bet on is US and AA status matching each other sometime in 2014 like CO and UA did (EXP=CP, and so on, and ??? about US PP), so what you earned on one airline during 2013 helps you out on the other in 2014.

I'd credit the AS miles to AA anyway, though, since then at least they'll get merged with the OP's US balance (someday).
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
American Airlines Merger Approved by US Airways Shareholders

News announced this morning:

American Airlines Merger Approved by US Airways Shareholders

The CEO of US Airways announced that the airline’s shareholders have approved the proposed merger with American Airlines’ parent AMR Corp. The approval was one of the final steps remaining in finalizing the deal, which will create the world’s biggest airline upon closing....
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:11 pm

Merge Usair and American?

I have a $200 giftcard from Usair, was wondering if the merger will affect my gift card? Thanks

I apologize ahead if I post on the wrong forum.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

The merger will not affect any gift cards, be they issued by US or AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.