Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Tttony
There was some talk of semi legitimate lawsuits in another thread a few days ago, but this one is pretty stupid because it appears to be anti trust grounds. The department of justice basically approved this deal and when it was first proposed every legal pundit basically said that the merger would be allowed to
Go forward because the two airlines didn't compete much on major routes.
When did the DOJ basically approve the deal? Last news was they were taking depositions on the deal..
Cheers
Howie
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by kudzu
Ahem ... are you sure?

(good to see ya here, though)
Self-flaggelating in extreme embarrassment, abject apologies, etc.
Oh, but I have posted here much longer than I have there.
BTW, I have corrected my inexcusable faux pas.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:40 pm

Unhappy PHX &TUS: fate after merger?

If this has been talked about elsewhere, feel free to merge/move.

I'm a college student in AZ and I'm just wanting to hear input from some veterans and FT experts on what may happen with the upcoming US/AA merger.

With US & AA merging, what do you think is going to happen to PHX? With US dominating T4 and AA a majority player in T3 South, I can't help but worry about a substantial cutback in gates, destinations, and flights. Not to mention the operational blow of moving HQ from Tempe to Texas.

PHX getting cut back would batter Tucson wouldn't it? I know AA & US were fairly large players in the TUS market and I feel like consolidation of two airlines is gonna drive prices up even further.

I don't even know what questions to ask, I'm just looking for insight.

Maybe as a silver lining, does anyone think VS might get their act together and throw AZ a bone?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
If this has been talked about elsewhere, feel free to merge/move.

I'm a college student in AZ and I'm just wanting to hear input from some veterans and FT experts on what may happen with the upcoming US/AA merger.

With US & AA merging, what do you think is going to happen to PHX? With US dominating T4 and AA a majority player in T3 South, I can't help but worry about a substantial cutback in gates, destinations, and flights. Not to mention the operational blow of moving HQ from Tempe to Texas.

PHX getting cut back would batter Tucson wouldn't it? I know AA & US were fairly large players in the TUS market and I feel like consolidation of two airlines is gonna drive prices up even further.

I don't even know what questions to ask, I'm just looking for insight.

Maybe as a silver lining, does anyone think VS might get their act together and throw AZ a bone?
AZ has access to government funding, while VS doesn't.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: UsAir,Priority Club, Bing, Southwest
so will CLT still be a safe bet?

I have 335k US dividend miles I am waiting for the 330 mark to open up for our trip which is in 12 days. The departure date is open but not the return. Originally I was going to go out of Boston on Swiss but now I am nervous they won't honor the ticket or I will have problems and I am giving up 200k miles to fly two people business to Rome so I don't want to be left scrambling come next May and June. On US site going from Boston or Hartford is a ridiculous amount 163k each but from CLT I can go for the normal 50k each (each way) I can then either buy a ticket from BDL to CLT or use miles to get that ticket but I am nervous if they pull out of CLT. CLT and PHL are the two closest non stops for me to Rome. We leave on the 16th so I have to act fast the day before we go so any advice would be appreciated
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by mydreamvacation
I have 335k US dividend miles I am waiting for the 330 mark to open up for our trip which is in 12 days. The departure date is open but not the return. Originally I was going to go out of Boston on Swiss but now I am nervous they won't honor the ticket or I will have problems and I am giving up 200k miles to fly two people business to Rome so I don't want to be left scrambling come next May and June. On US site going from Boston or Hartford is a ridiculous amount 163k each but from CLT I can go for the normal 50k each (each way) I can then either buy a ticket from BDL to CLT or use miles to get that ticket but I am nervous if they pull out of CLT. CLT and PHL are the two closest non stops for me to Rome. We leave on the 16th so I have to act fast the day before we go so any advice would be appreciated
Sir down. Take a deep breath.

Do you seriously think that if they "pull out of CLT" it will be within the next 330+12 days? I do think that CLT will eventually have less flights than it does now. But that it will remain a large hub. I also see a similar situation at PHL. There will be redundancies in the new network that need to be ironed out. However, I would suggest to the people in PHX to brace themselves for more connections and fewer nonstops.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: UsAir,Priority Club, Bing, Southwest
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Sir down. Take a deep breath.

Do you seriously think that if they "pull out of CLT" it will be within the next 330+12 days? I do think that CLT will eventually have less flights than it does now. But that it will remain a large hub. I also see a similar situation at PHL. There will be redundancies in the new network that need to be ironed out. However, I would suggest to the people in PHX to brace themselves for more connections and fewer nonstops.
I am just trying to stack my deck where I can book the trip and not have to be worried about being stranded or my ticket negated. At this point my UsAir card already renewed but I will probably cancel my husband's before it renews and try to figure out something more stable. we go to Italy once a year and always do it on miles.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
AZ has access to government funding, while VS doesn't.
To be clear, I was referring to Arizona the state, not Alitalia, the carrier
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does TUS have on US? Just a bunch of flights to PHX. I would expect fewer flights to PHX and offset with new service to LAX. Add that to ORD and DFW, and the options will actually be better for the TUS fliers. PHX, on the other hand will take a big hit IMO. It completely looses its uniqueness in the new network. It will be overshadowed by DFW and the continued expansion at LAX. I think the most vulnerable PHX routes will be those to non-hubs that are also heavily served by WN, and even more so if UA or DL fly them as well. PHX-SFO: what's the need for it's continuation? Even the flights from LGB to PHX will probably be better if switched to DFW and ORD. Same thing with OAK. I would predict SEA/PDX-PHX flights get divided up into more DFW/ORD flights and new service to LAX. PHX will probably end up having a lot of flights to the other hubs (particularly ORD, DFW, and LAX), the smaller nearby markets that can't support service to LAX or DFW (like the DH8 routes), and the routes that have high O&D numbers. The others flights that are mostly connecting traffic through PHX, buh-bye.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mydreamvacation
I am just trying to stack my deck where I can book the trip and not have to be worried about being stranded or my ticket negated. At this point my UsAir card already renewed but I will probably cancel my husband's before it renews and try to figure out something more stable. we go to Italy once a year and always do it on miles.
AA also flies JFK-FCO. BA offers connecting flights via LHR, as does AB out of TXL (and DUS I believe). I think IB flies MAD-FCO as well. The options aren't going away, just changing. So if you book Star flights and they need to be changed, it will have to be on OW carriers after US leaves Star. If no changes are made, the Star carriers have to honor your issued ticket.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
What does TUS have on US? Just a bunch of flights to PHX. I would expect fewer flights to PHX and offset with new service to LAX. Add that to ORD and DFW, and the options will actually be better for the TUS fliers. PHX, on the other hand will take a big hit IMO. It completely looses its uniqueness in the new network. It will be overshadowed by DFW and the continued expansion at LAX. I think the most vulnerable PHX routes will be those to non-hubs that are also heavily served by WN, and even more so if UA or DL fly them as well. PHX-SFO: what's the need for it's continuation? Even the flights from LGB to PHX will probably be better if switched to DFW and ORD. Same thing with OAK. I would predict SEA/PDX-PHX flights get divided up into more DFW/ORD flights and new service to LAX. PHX will probably end up having a lot of flights to the other hubs (particularly ORD, DFW, and LAX), the smaller nearby markets that can't support service to LAX or DFW (like the DH8 routes), and the routes that have high O&D numbers. The others flights that are mostly connecting traffic through PHX, buh-bye.
Sounds like I won't be deviating from DL for my monthly CRJ-700 TUS/PHX-LAX-OAK flights anytime soon. Thank god for the LAX T5 SkyClub...

Here's to hoping TUS-ORD/DFW will be on something bigger than a CRJ.

Why would they kill the PHX-SFO? Would that be because of severing *A & United's heavy SFO presence?

I'll never stop dreaming about $89 TUS-LAS or TUS-SAN fares on VS

Someone explain to me why there are unassigned gates at T3 North & a good chunk of T2? Is it expensive? Is it a capacity thing? Or is PHX just *that* undesirable? Imagine a DL & VS occupied T3 north with a VS clubhouse

Yes, I know how naiive I sound. But hey, why be a pessimist?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like I won't be deviating from DL for my monthly CRJ-700 TUS/PHX-LAX-OAK flights anytime soon. Thank god for the LAX T5 SkyClub...

Why would they kill the PHX-SFO? Would that be because of severing *A & United's heavy SFO presence?

Yes, I know how naiive I sound. But hey, why be a pessimist?
How much O&D can there be on US flights between SFO and PHX? It's competes with UA and WN. Right now, US flies SFO-PHX because the only other connection options are via a CLT and PHL. That changes once LAX, DFW, and ORD are thrown into the equation. How much traffic is there between SFO and Yuma, or Flagstaff? Because that really is what would be affected by dropping the SFO-PHX service. I doubt anyone goes SFO-PHX-LGB/SNA/ONT. And if they fly from SFO to SAN/LAS/SLC/DEN/ABQ/ELP via PHX, well, soon they'll be able to do that via LAX.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by burlax
Opponents to the American Airlines-US Airways mergers are filing a lawsuit Tuesday that seeks to block the deal. . .
Here is the case info for those interested:

7/02/2013

Type: Civil (SF/OK-10-Anti-Trust)

Header: CAROLYN FJORD ET AL-V-US AIRWAYS GROUP INC ET AL

Docket: 13-3041

Presiding: Saundra Brown Armstrong

The case is listed in the new cases feed, but docs are not on pacer yet ( plaintiffs must have filed in hardcopy ).
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
It has been a while, but in the late 1990s, I lived in Tucson. At the time at least, AA had a large call center there, close to the Tucson airport. They had an unusually large number of flights to DFW and ORD, on MD80s.

In looking at random dates in late July on the AA website, I see that AA has 5x day TUS-DFW, all on MD80. I also see 2x day TUS-ORD, also on MD80. Perhaps some of that would get scaled back, but I don't see anything changing immediately (subject to profit on the routes I guess).
Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:11 pm

Do we know any actual info how the merger with AA is going to affect the redemption of expired USAir miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.