Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA New livery scheme?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
Here are a few more thanks to our good friend Google. Seems like United livery is a popular design school project.

Livery 1

Livery 2

Livery 3
#3 gets an F were I the instructor grading. Why? incorrect depiction using Rolls Royce engines!!!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
#3 gets an F were I the instructor grading. Why? incorrect depiction using Rolls Royce engines!!!
Andv#2 rips off ANA
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
I think it is #2 livery scheme. I am really like that one, and it's perfect fit for UA. This one is very good.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A different way

Looks like AA is going to let the employees decide on the tail:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...very-can-keep/

Quite different than a CEO "designing it himself"
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Not that the US tail is any better, but I would've thought he'd include that as well. I understand not wanting to include a new design because of cost/time constraints, but it would seem that this would allow everyone to feel heard, and not just AA
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:38 am

They also plan to keep the heritage liveries from the US side, as well as have an aircraft in a TWA scheme, the previous AA scheme, and I believe either the current or previous US scheme.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

And, as the CEO notes, it really just doesn't matter:
Originally Posted by Doug Parker
While I enjoy debating the merits of certain aircraft liveries as much as anyone, I have always believed they are not particularly important to the success of an airline. For our team members who work in, around and on these aircraft day in and day out, it matters a great deal, but I have yet to find a customer who based their purchase decision on the exterior design of the airplane.
Great PR, I suppose, for letting the employees make a decision about the merged airline, but there's something a bit snarky about saying "none of this matters at all; you guys pick."
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:46 am

Well, right out of the gate, Parker makes a mistake. Since when are line employees trained in graphic design? And using the old eagle on the tail and new eagle up front is distracting. If they change to this scheme, it's going to make UA's livery attractive by comparison - at least it's consistent.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
They also plan to keep the heritage liveries from the US side, as well as have an aircraft in a TWA scheme, the previous AA scheme, and I believe either the current or previous US scheme.
(bolding mine)

That's great news. After AA acquired TW, the TWA brand was not celebrated but actively supressed by AA.

Now, if only some of TWA's great people could be rehired...

P.S.: One of the ironies of this situation is that TWA had, in the mid 90's contemplated merging with AmericaWest and decided against it because HP was seen as an "unviable partner"...

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Dec 17, 2013 at 5:54 am
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite

I know you have a man crush on AA, but ewwww!

UA employees also got to vote on the retrojet, so at least there's that.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 17, 2013 at 6:45 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sulley
I know you have a man crush on AA, but ewwww!
A crush implies I don't know what's going on, I'm just interested...couldn't be further from the case! It's been a phenomenal 18 months on AA.

I just thought it was a nice way to offer a little empowerment. Just a very different change of pace from UA.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Sulley

UA employees also got to vote on the retrojet, so at least there's that.
And it that case, you were voting on which prior existing livery to use as the retrojet. That's an example of good leadership. In the AA case, Parker comes across as if he doesn't care about the livery.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by halls120
And it that case, you were voting on which prior existing livery to use as the retrojet. That's an example of good leadership. In the AA case, Parker comes across as if he doesn't care about the livery.
Or he's going for the "employee friendly" title.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Parker comes across as if he doesn't care about the livery.
He mentioned that in the article. He said that almost no customer chooses who to fly based on the paint design on the planes, and how many of the front line employees had strong opinions on it. It's not so much that he doesn't care, it's that he thinks his employees care more and that having them choose won't be detrimental to the biz.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Well, right out of the gate, Parker makes a mistake. Since when are line employees trained in graphic design? And using the old eagle on the tail and new eagle up front is distracting. If they change to this scheme, it's going to make UA's livery attractive by comparison - at least it's consistent.
That is exactly the point - by putting the less attractive alternative next to the current livery, people are going to choose the flag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.