Search

Improve the program

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 1998, 7:19 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Improve the program

This post may not make me popular with some, but I'm ready for some changes in Mileage Plus.
1) How about raising the threshold for Premier status by 5 or 10 thousand miles. In hub cities like chicago and Dulles, lines for premier check-in have gotten as long as regular check-in lines (sometimes longer!). This change would also allow gate agents to allow priority boarding for premier members without half of the plane getting filled (I've noticed that many agents only call 1k members for priority boarding lately).

2. Bring back Plateau bonuses...even if they are at a higher level! These were the best thing about UMP a couple years back!

3. Rotating movies was a great idea! How about rotating music selections as well. The Tom Petty interview was on for nearly 3 months!

Overall, I love UMP, but IMHO, these improvements (esp. #1) would REALLY help...
Old May 13, 1998, 2:20 pm
THB
Original Member

Matt:
I have to agree with recommendation #1. The Premier lines are as long as the regular lines. Furthermore, the gate agents don't seem to care that you are among their best customers vs. the family taking their once a year flight for vacation. Other than the mileage bonuses, I see little benefit from being a Premier Executive member.
Old May 13, 1998, 6:17 pm
Original Member

I ALSO Agree. The elite levels should recognize their FREQUENT flyers (that could translate to $$ spent as well). What fun are the elite levels if 50% of the flyers are at them?
Old May 14, 1998, 9:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Premier means nothing on United! I can't understand why people continue to rate Mileage Plus as one of the top programs. For one thing, any program that has expiring miles shouldn't get top billing. And trying to get an upgrade on some the routes mentioned is all but impossible. Do the smart thing - walk away from United and start flying someone else.
Old May 15, 1998, 8:23 am
Original Poster

I *would* switch, but it means starting over...And I do like all the wide-bodies in United's fleet. I've said for some time, though, that if American ran a promotion that offered me elite status for switching that I'd probably give them a try for a couple of years (I have no idea how the logisitcs of such a promotion would work)...Although I suspect American probably doesn't reward loyalty properly either...
Old May 15, 1998, 10:13 pm
Original Member

Interestingly, United Mileage Plus offered me Premier status on the basis of my having Aadvantage Gold status with American. It allowed me to make a head to head comparison. In my opinion, Aadvantage Gold wins.

I suspect that if one were to write to Aadvantage and propose a "matching" level membership and include proof of your elite status with another airline's program that it just might work.
Old May 16, 1998, 8:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Any more gripes about UA? Share your experiences with fellow frequent flyers and learn what others have gone through. Go to http://www.untied.com.
Old May 17, 1998, 3:14 pm
Original Member

I agree 100 percent. A 5,000 mile increase in qualification for Premier members at EVERY level would really help. The program is great, but the lines are getting out of hand. It will only get worse with the STAR-ALLIANCE all the Elites from the other programs get to use our lines too. The flip side is we get to use their lines too. One gripe I have is the red carpet club. They suck compared to LH's lounges. The only one I like is in Paris.

Phil
Premier Exec.
Platinum Exec.
Old May 17, 1998, 11:00 pm
Original Member

I agree United should raise the threshold for new Premier members by at least 5,000 miles per level.

I also agree that with the exception of Paris Uniteds Red Carpet Clubs suck. If you think the Red Carpet Clubs are bad, try getting admitance to the United Club (Non-Red Carpet) at Malpensa (Milan Italy). Full fare Business Class passengers are routinely refused acess to the United Club. Don't bother complaining to United about Milan your complaint will fall on deaf ears.

I also agree that LH's clubs beat UA's Red carpet Clubs by a country mile. Last but not least I wonder what genius at United decided to make the Red Carpet Club in Tokyo non-smoking. Fourtunately I don't smoke but when traveling with Japanese clients I am glad I choose to obtain Senator status with LH I can take my clients into the Fuji lounge (smoking allowed) next door to the RC in Tokyo. Maybe United will wake up that the Asian countries comprise the largest group of smokers in the world.

Or maybe United likes losing money on there Asian routes.

Old May 18, 1998, 7:12 pm
Original Member

Hi there,
American Airlines does in fact have a program by which you can switch. You simply get in touch with their customer service department, and send them proof of your elite status. They will review your mileage statements and decide if they will grant you gold status, while at the same time setting a threshold of additional flights within a certain period in which to attain platinum status.
Last year, having gotten extremely irritated with United, included the elimination of the plateau bonuses and other perks for 1K flyers, I contacted American. They granted me immediate status as a gold AAdvantage member, and required that I fly 15000 miles over the next 3 months to achieve platinum status. Good so far.
Now the bad news. Platinum means nothing on American. They will not waive any fees, their upgrade policies are onerous, and service on the flights I've had has been terrible. I just returned from at trip to Paris and it was the worst business class experience I've had. United on the other hand seems to be getting the message that their best customers are mad - I've seen a change since the first of the year. And generally, their planes are nicer, flight attendants are better, and the quality of the service far exceeds American.
I'm glad I tried the switch, if for no other reason than that I appreciate United more.

Old Jun 3, 1998, 3:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
I disagree with most of these posts. I would not want the thresholds changed. I just haven't experienced all those problems. I do 60-80k miles/year. I use e-tickets where possible and check in at the RC club. My domestic upgrade requests are 95% successful.

Service on UA is a lot better tan on Delta or Continental.

The only two complaints I have is that they use the RC club also as the biz class lounge: I wonder if the members are subsidizing the biz class travelers. More importantly, I don't understand why we can't get waitlisted for International flights.
Old Jun 8, 1998, 4:18 pm
Original Member

Yes, why can't we be waitlisted for international upgrades? I mean it is a pershable good, and it would really make me a lot more loyal to United with I knew I at least had A SHOT towards an international upgrade. Phil
Old Jun 9, 1998, 11:41 am
Commander Catcop

Let me start by saying I like United... it's my airline of choice and generally I get very
nice service, upgrades about half the time and more respect from employees than a few other airlines. I will stick with United for
the long term (also like Delta, British,
Southwest and learning to tolerate American.)

BUTTTTT Some suggested improvements to U-A:

*Reciprocal upgrades for Star Alliance. I
can't understand why as a United Premier
exec. member I can't upgrade on Air Canada or
Lufthansa or at least get Waitlisted. If
it's a true alliance then upgrades should be
for all members. (Maybe there's a trick to this... any ideas.)

*More than one check-in line for Premier
members. With 975-thousand Premier members
(and probably more with Delta and Star
Alliance) They should have one check in line for Premier 1K and exec, one for regular Premier and one for the gazillion Star Alliance and (I guess soon) Delta Skymiles IT's frustrating to wait while one or two ticket people handle ALL the Premier members.

*Spacing out the boarding. I almost got
trampled recently when they announced "first
class and Premier" and it seemed the whole
plane boarded. It's selfish but I always
wait right by the door to try to avoid the
cattledrive. I did NOT get my upgrade and
Some shopper stuffed six bags into the overhead. I had one bag and had to stuff it
in the back of the plane!

*Bring Back! Plateau (sp?) bonuses so I can get my free trip to Hawaii and a needed week long sleep on the beach faster!

*I don't know much about the Red Carpet Clubs
though. Most times don't have the time to
enjoy (or not enjoy) them. Maybe a better
discount for membership for Premier folk.

THE GREAT MAJORITY OF EMPLOYEES OF UNITED
THOUGH ARE VERY NICE AND HELPFUL. THAT'S
PROBABLY WHY I TEND TO OVERLOOK THE PROBLEMS.
But I have dealt with worst airlines (Eastern
Europe, Air China, and in a few cases
American.)

Old Jun 10, 1998, 10:24 am
Original Member

I agree in general with all your comments. I think they can't offer reciprocal upgrades because the programs are NOT the same in all the alliance partners. I don't think LH gives domestic upgrade certs. I find checking in at the LH lounges really makes a difference..I've been upgraded several times for nothing on LH. The red carpet clubs are worse than Delta's Crown Rooms -- I think the $$ for drinks is outrageous. The discounts for 1ks and Execs is CONSIDERABLE to join. Anyway, I generally agree.
Old Jun 22, 1998, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Don't get me started on the chages for drinks at the RCC. They have the nerve to raise the dues to get in there and then want 4 bucks for a drink...Ah well, based on the law of supply and demand I guess they figure they're doing alright anyway (have you ever been in the O'Hare C concourse RCC between 4-6 PM on a weekday? It's PACKED!)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.