Wiki Posts
Search

SYD Upgrade Chances - LAX or SFO? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer

Given that MP and CO OnePass will become one program next year, there maybe changes to the existing program in terms of upgrades etc.
Well given that CO are stingier than even UA on award C/J space, don't hold your breath waiting for things to get better.

Seems to me that CO are calling the shots more and more in this area.

Glen
Old May 24, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IainC
Good luck snagging these - award business seats on this route have all but evaporated the past two years and to compound this, January is peak season. But hey, who knows what the situation will be in 2013 with UA all but a fond memory swallowed up by CO.
Award seats in C/F tend to open up last minute-ish. Looking at SFO-SYD for the next 7 days, there are C seats on Sun, Mon, Tue and F seats tonight, Sat and Sun.

The new one-way awards are great if you're flexible and happy to book last minute. I am
Old May 31, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, Avis Preferred
Ugh, had no idea the upgrade prospects on this route were so bleak. If anyone could answer a couple questions it'd be a big help:

1) I'm 1P, and just today I put in a miles+copay upgrade for UA863 on 6/18/11 - in just a couple of weeks - on a K class fare. The upgrade's been waitlisted. Flight current shows as J9-C9-D9-Z9, and there are 34 open seats in the flight's seat chart. Naively, 36 seats still open should seem like halfway-decent odds...but really, am I *totally* screwed, or just probably?

2) The upgrade request got applied to the entire outward-bound segment (DEN-SFO-SYD), even though I already had a UDU in for DEN-SFO. DEN-SFO cleared instantly. If SFO-SYD doesn't clear, are they going to refuse to refund the 30,000 miles?? (if so I am going to be piiiiiissed...)

Finally, any general speculation on how these upgrades are prioritized? For example, would they clear mine before an SWU because they'd make $500 off me? Or would they clear a 1K's SWU before a 1P's miles+copay? I know I'm extra-screwed thanks to be 1P and on a K fare, but just curious...
Old May 31, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puckthescientist

Flight current shows as J9-C9-D9-Z9, and there are 34 open seats in the flight's seat chart. Naively, 36 seats still open should seem like halfway-decent odds...but really, am I *totally* screwed, or just probably?
Theese figures are not all seperate buvkets.

It MIGHT be there are only 10 spare seats in Biz even now, and all 4 buckets are able to draw from those 10.

Having said that, 9s are better than seeing 3-3-3-1.
Old May 31, 2011, 8:48 pm

Ugh, had no idea the upgrade prospects on this route were so bleak. If anyone could answer a couple questions it'd be a big help:

1) I'm 1P, and just today I put in a miles+copay upgrade for UA863 on 6/18/11 - in just a couple of weeks - on a K class fare. The upgrade's been waitlisted. Flight current shows as J9-C9-D9-Z9, and there are 34 open seats in the flight's seat chart. Naively, 36 seats still open should seem like halfway-decent odds...but really, am I *totally* screwed, or just probably?

2) The upgrade request got applied to the entire outward-bound segment (DEN-SFO-SYD), even though I already had a UDU in for DEN-SFO. DEN-SFO cleared instantly. If SFO-SYD doesn't clear, are they going to refuse to refund the 30,000 miles?? (if so I am going to be piiiiiissed...)

Finally, any general speculation on how these upgrades are prioritized? For example, would they clear mine before an SWU because they'd make $500 off me? Or would they clear a 1K's SWU before a 1P's miles+copay? I know I'm extra-screwed thanks to be 1P and on a K fare, but just curious...
Have you checked to see if you have a Premium Seating offer?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Have you checked to see if you have a Premium Seating offer?
Wow - no, I hadn't! (had never even paid attention to or heard of these offers before). Turns out there was a K-to-A upgrade offer for $1150 on the SFO-SYD leg! A little bit of business-related shuffling later and I'm now confirmed in Suite 3A for SFO-SYD! Thanks a million, LarkSFO!!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:31 am

Wow - no, I hadn't! (had never even paid attention to or heard of these offers before). Turns out there was a K-to-A upgrade offer for $1150 on the SFO-SYD leg! A little bit of business-related shuffling later and I'm now confirmed in Suite 3A for SFO-SYD! Thanks a million, LarkSFO!!
Glad it worked out for you.

Did you call to have your 30,000 miles and $500 returned to you?

Hopefully with no hassles....
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Glad it worked out for you.

Did you call to have your 30,000 miles and $500 returned to you?

Hopefully with no hassles....
Yep. Took a little while to get someone who could fully comprehend the situation, but the 30,000 miles was returned ($500 would only have been due upon check-in) and the domestic leg of the flight, which had been automatically included in the "old" upgrade request, was demoted back down to E+. Worth it, in my opinion

In fact, I'd actually also purchased 30,000 miles that day to offset the original mileage "expense" (don't even ask...), and I was also able to get that purchase fully refunded with no hassle after only one simple email to [email protected], although this did happen within only 12 hours of making the purchase. All in all a quite excellent experience!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles
Wink

These days I hear Y is packed with Australian's god-given shopping trips to the US :P because Australia only has a 20 million population versus 200 million of the US and the US is the closest Western country they can fly to.

Oh and the A$ recently has surpassed the USD in Sydney and NYC trading:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=AUD

1 USD is ONLY worth 94 Australian cents!

Still I want to go, Australia & NZ is a dream destination of mine. Sort of like Europe in the 90's and Sydney is like NYC, Boston & SF combined into one.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoveries, HH Gold, SPG Gold, A-Club Silver, IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz PC
Hi there, have you been offered the upgrade at check in desk or via your check in online system? I am due to fly out from SYD-LAX on 23/6 and is wondering if I can pay for cash upgrade at the SYD counter? Any tips?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IF they have seats after clearing all GS/1K SWU waitlists etc in the few days before who are using SWUs, last buy-up figure I heard was about $US1100-$1200 one way, per person to first USA port.

If you get this offer, it is almost guaranteed the only seats will be central downstairs where you have pax either side.

If the flight has less than 8 seats showing now, chances of buy-up being offered are incredibly slim and they are usually offered out of MEL first.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: 1K
LAX->SYD Mileage Upgrade to C

I put myself on an upgrade waitlist on my LAX -> SYD United leg using 30k miles / $450 copay. Do these upgrades typically clear at the gate? I'm getting a little antsy since my IAH -> LAX lag is on Continental, and it isn't letting me check in to the flight.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Depends on a lot of factors, but yes these upgrades can be hard to come by. If you don't have any United status, it will be difficult to clear if it gets all the way to the gate scenario. Good luck.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Depends on a lot of factors, but yes these upgrades can be hard to come by. If you don't have any United status, it will be difficult to clear if it gets all the way to the gate scenario. Good luck.
You understate the improbability.

I cleared on this flight back in 2007 on a SWU, and it was after I boarded and took my middle seat in E+. I had been re-routed from SFO/SYD to LAX/SYD from IAD, and as is normally the case, on an irrops re-route, had full Y fare status (and recorded the full 50% EQM bonus).

So a

- 1K,
- on a full Y fare,
- flying a 747 with many more yet less desirable seats in C than today's new config 747

was last to be upgraded (and upgraded after boarding).

OP, barring a major irrops that keeps elites from arriving from the other hubs, you are flying economy, sorry.

If a better seat is paramount to you, book a standard award or fly QF in premium economy on the A380 out of LAX.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by mre5765
You understate the improbability.

I cleared on this flight back in 2007 on a SWU, and it was after I boarded and took my middle seat in E+. I had been re-routed from SFO/SYD to LAX/SYD from IAD, and as is normally the case, on an irrops re-route, had full Y fare status (and recorded the full 50% EQM bonus).

So a

- 1K,
- on a full Y fare,
- flying a 747 with many more yet less desirable seats in C than today's new config 747

was last to be upgraded (and upgraded after boarding).

OP, barring a major irrops that keeps elites from arriving from the other hubs, you are flying economy, sorry.

If a better seat is paramount to you, book a standard award or fly QF in premium economy on the A380 out of LAX.
Good to know. I'll be CO Gold after this flight... wish I had it before the flight to increase my chances. Thanks for the info.

Is it typical to not be able to check in to Australian flights before you get to the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.