Search

SYD Upgrade Chances - LAX or SFO? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
SYD Upgrade Chances - LAX or SFO? [Merged]

Hey Folks

Flying to Sydney for Mardi Gras in 2010.

Travel dates February 23 and return March 3rd.

It seems like LAX will upgrade easier than SFO with a SWU.

Any experiences with this?

SFO would be easier because my traveling partner lives in SFO, and I want to book our tickets on same PNR because of my status.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Don't have an answer on SFO vs LAX upgrades but wanted to comment on the "same PNR because of my status."
This is requires starting from the same airport, so since it appears you are out of DEN and the companion is out of SFO, at least one will need to fly a segment not on the PNR. Given that it seems starting in either airport is still an option.

The is much discussion on FT about the problems/benefits of upgrade clearing multiple passenger PNRs -- plus and minus -- many discussions
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tinerarys.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-one-pnr.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tin-w-nf1.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-same-pnr.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ravellers.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-pnr-two.html

If a reason for being on same PNR is to transfer your status for upgrade priority, your companion upgrade priority will be fine, 1 or 2 PNRs -- everyone using SWUs goes on the PA list regardless of status before DM, and every one is handle after DM based on their individual status. The status of other folks on the PNR has no impact.

Now their are other reasons for being on same PNR -- irops, waiver of luggage fees, .. but upgrades does not appear to be one.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Wine Country UA - Thanks so much for your help!!

I'm a relative newbie to all this stuff and would love it if you could clarify to me exactly what you mean by this paragraph?

Do you mean that If two us are on the same PNR and I am a 1K and my companion is a Premier, then my status doesn't move us up on the list?

I'm a little confused and would love to NOT have to make a separate ticket DEN-LAX or DEN-SFO or even worse DEN-SFO (pick up my companion) and then SF0-LAX-SYD-LAX-SFO-DEN.

Your information is very helpful and I thank all of you! (As do most of my friends who love all the advice on here)

Kevin

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

If a reason for being on same PNR is to transfer your status for upgrade priority, your companion upgrade priority will be fine, 1 or 2 PNRs -- everyone using SWUs goes on the PA list regardless of status before DM, and every one is handle after DM based on their individual status. The status of other folks on the PNR has no impact.

Now their are other reasons for being on same PNR -- irops, waiver of luggage fees, .. but upgrades does not appear to be one.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I just read this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...x-one-pnr.html

and now think I understand!

Thanks so much as now I've just saved a bunch of time and money by not having to book a separate ticket!

I'm doing two PNR's with my SWU's.

Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
You cannot have two passengers starting in two different places on 1 PNR. You can either have:

PNR A: 1 Passenger DEN-SYD
PNR B: 1 Passenger SFO-SYD

or

PNR A: 1 Passenger DEN-SFO
PNR B: 2 passengers SFO-SYD

In the end, it really wouldn't matter, because FT believes that all upgrade requests go on to a FIFO waitlist if they cannot be confirmed in advance. Once the flight is at the gate (Departure Management) all waitlisted upgrades then get re-arranged depending on status, and again, the PNR's wouldn't matter.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much!

If you are at the GATE...Will they upgrade on PAX on the PNR and NOT the other?

Also
My companion will be in the last month of his Premier Exec..(end of February 2010)

They will still accord him him Premier Exec status correct?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boulderflyer21
Do you mean that If two us are on the same PNR and I am a 1K and my companion is a Premier, then my status doesn't move us up on the list?
Think you have figured this out, but with a SWU a non status passenger as the same priority on a PNR with an 1K or on their own separate PNR -- the companion will be on the same prioritization list as the 1K.

I just read this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...x-one-pnr.html

and now think I understand!

Thanks so much as now I've just saved a bunch of time and money by not having to book a separate ticket!

I'm doing two PNR's with my SWU's.

Thanks
Just to point out there is a downside to two PNRs -- the companion will not get the 1K / UA elite baggage fee waiver (unless they have some status - a good use of 3P nomination)
and you will need to watch out for your companion for irops, equipment changes, .. the status passenger will be handled sooner / better than the non-status on a separate PNR. But the trade-off is the likelihood of upgrade clearing does seem to be better.

Note-- you will be able to guest your companion for priority boarding / security / E+ .... even if on separate PNRs

Thanks so much!

If you are at the GATE...Will they upgrade on PAX on the PNR and NOT the other?
Yes, everything is individual at the gate but you can decline the upgrade.

Also
My companion will be in the last month of his Premier Exec..(end of February 2010)

They will still accord him him Premier Exec status correct?
???? February??? status good til the end of the January.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Yes, they will upgrade one and not the other on the same PNR only when the flight is under departure management.

Some bad news is, I believe UA changed when expiration of status is to the end of January, instead of February as it has been for years.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Some bad news is, I believe UA changed when expiration of status is to the end of January, instead of February as it has been for years.
Just started this year, 2009
Old Sep 17, 2009, 3:59 pm

To answer the OP question about ease of upgrades through SFO or LAX, my experience is that LAX flights are easier to clear.

However. Remember that Mardi Gras attracts literally THOUSANDS of GLBT visitors to Sydney and a large number of them will travel either from or through North America. IIRC, Air New Zealand has in past years chartered a Pink Flight from SFO. If they do it again next year, that will relieve some of pressure for space in the premium cabins.

I think your chances of an upgrade for Mardi Gras will be the same out of both stations.

Is this your first Mardi Gras in Sydney? You'll have a Fabulous time!
Tip: Book your accommodation and event tickets early. ^^^
Old Sep 17, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
I was returning from SYD to SFO on business and was made aware that the flight was oversold due to the Mardi Gras pax returning home. I was 1K, as was my friend, and neither of our SWU's cleared for the flight home. The whole airport was a mess in fact.

In any case, my best luck for upgrades to SYD has definitely been out of SFO flying mid-week. I have been told that LAX carries a lot more of the transcon pax than SFO.

In any case the International RCC is far superior in SFO than in LAX.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:13 pm

I have upgraded a number of times out of SFO and have never had any problem. In fact most of the times I've gone the business class section has been half-full at most. (This was 1-3 years ago, things may be different now as the super-cheap flights fill the planes.) I'm not aware of the situation out of LAX.

-Bruce
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by river_rower
In any case the International RCC is far superior in SFO than in LAX.
Because at SFO you can use the SKL...
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Because at SFO you can use the SKL...
IMO, the SQ lounge is nothing to write home about. I prefer the domestic RCC to them both usually.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by murphyUA
I prefer the domestic RCC to them both usually.
I guess it's OK if you don't like to eat or drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.