Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by boeing747-400
I agree.....loyalty & recognition of loyalty is the key. "There is an implicit promise to 1Ks to be able to reasonably use their SWUs. Once UA is selling their C (or F) cabins on the cheap before the SWUs clear, they are undercutting their most loyal customers, who have spent money, time and effort to become 1Ks anticipating to benefit from that implicit promise. Another problem is the uncertainty".....per flyersky1, very well stated. Remember UA's print ads, stating "those who fly the most, enjoy the most benefits?"
Many bus. flyers have to ticket higher fares than leisure flyer, and spend much time & effort to reach the 1K level. Basically, you're pre paying for those SWU's. But if you can't use them on int'l. flt.s, there's no benefit or reward of reaching 1K. UA needs to rethink this practice of upselling at checkin or at gate. They may lose some of their most loyal flyers.
But then there is the other side of this coin, which I think we are starting to see from all airlines:

What other options does the flying public have?

How much can airlines reduce elite benefits without seeing a significant drop in loyalty?

How do we make a consistent profit?

This is really off topic for this upsell thread though - there are a lot of other threads that contemplate these questions in much greater depth...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The advance cash upsells all seem to be for F so the only 1Ks losing out on their SWUS are potentially those who booked in C or J. I'd be really surprised to hear of an actual case where a 1K failed trying to use an SWU to get into F so as far as I am concerned this is a good deal all around. You can use SWU to UG into C or now you have the extra option (sometimes) of an UG into F for cash. Seems like everyone including UA are winners.

Also some more data. Yesterday booked a flight for my wife RT NRT-ORD (combinatination W and S). Got offered the cash UG to F on the NRT-ORD portion only which I took. Wife then decided she didn't like the return date. Called 1K in the US. They were very helpful. Knew all about the Y>F upgrades. Without asking immediately cancelled the NC request and returned the miles. Tried to change the reservation so I could keep the UG on the outbound. US fare desk wouldn't allow so she offered to contact web support, but there was a long request so I rang off. Called Japan reservations. They were not particularly helpful but did tell me that they had changed the fare rules on W so that no changes were allowed. No choice but to cancel (still within the 24 hour window) and start over. No offer for upgrades. Logged out, logged in, still offer for UGs. Logged out, logged in again, got offers both outbound and inbound. Took both. Happy ending.

As an aside the Japan phone agent told me that the rules for W changed on April 1 so no changes are allowed (before they were allowed). Done at the demand of the Japanese government who wouldn't approved the fares unless they were more restrictive. Makes sense, tsunami disaster so travelers needs some flexibility. Air travel is way down so the airlines need to attract passengers. So of course the Japanese government makes the fares more restrictive. No wonder the Japan economy has been going down the tubes for the last 20 years.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
I'd be really surprised to hear of an actual case where a 1K failed trying to use an SWU to get into F so as far as I am concerned this is a good deal all around.
I failed C->F on PVG-SFO last September, and will most likely fail C->F ORD-GRU this weekend.

I've seen postings of even GS' failing on SWU upgrades to F too, my cases aren't really that unique.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Jun 21, 2011 at 7:10 pm
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by boeing747-400
But if you can't use them on int'l. flt.s, there's no benefit or reward of reaching 1K. UA needs to rethink this practice of upselling at checkin or at gate. They may lose some of their most loyal flyers.
This plane has left the hangar. It's been clear for quite some time that the CO guys do not value high level elites. Everyone should plan accordingly. SWU's are going to get increasingly hard to use and 1k status will differ little from 2p.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I failed C->F on PVG-SFO last September, and will most likely fail C->F ORD-GRU this weekend.

I've seen postings of even GS' failing on SWU upgrades to F too, my cases aren't really that unique.
Let us know what happens on ORD>GRU. Good luck.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wait on SWU to NC or Buy Upsell W > A

Been reading this thread with great interest:

I am a 1K that purchased two RT W fare tickets (HSV-BKK) on 04 June for travel on 6/19 July at $2250 per ticket. After purchase I requested SWU from W to NC on all legs using 4 SWU.

Outbound routing: HSV-IAD-NRT-BKK cleared the NRT/BKK leg to NC within 24 hours of my request. And at the same time I was offered to purchase a return leg upsell (NRT-ORD), W > A, at $999 each but I declined.

Segue to today and none of my other waitlisted legs have cleared; so I broke down and purchased the return leg upsell to A (it reflects A on my .bomb reservation). And as soon as I closed out of .bomb and logged back on I was offered the opportunity to purchase the upsell on my outbound leg from IAD-NRT at $999 each.

I don't know what to think about the glitch theory; seems more revenue driven to me. Now I am wondering what my chances really were for getting the SWU upgrade from NRT-ORD and whether or not I should hold out and hope for the best on my SWU request from IAD-NRT; or to break down again and pay for the upsell.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Lost Cause
I don't know what to think about the glitch theory; seems more revenue driven to me. Now I am wondering what my chances really were for getting the SWU upgrade from NRT-ORD and whether or not I should hold out and hope for the best on my SWU request from IAD-NRT; or to break down again and pay for the upsell.

Any thoughts?
Definitely not a glitch. The 1K desk in the U.S. and Japan understand and process these things very routinely now. I've bought about a half dozen so far.

If I had a big SWU balance and got the SWU cleared at purchase, I might not buy the paid UG to F, but otherwise I would almost always go for the paid Y>F UG over the SWU. If it was just seat comfort, I probably wouldn't shell out the money, but together with the faster security, IFL access, less crammed feeling on the plane, somewhat better food, and the extra RDM/EQM, I think the paid UG to F is a reasonable deal.

The Japan flights are pretty open these days so you have a good chance clearing on the SWU especially if you are mid-week and 1k. The only other consideration is whether you are on an old 777 with the recliners in C, in which case the UG to F is an easier choice.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Let us know what happens on ORD>GRU. Good luck.
Thanks - down to F2 (from F7 a month ago) on a 10 seat XP, but if it's a 77Q (as has shown past 4 days), that really means F0 so likely no UG. But a new config C seat will ease the pain a bit
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
interesting new data point. an Y->F upgrade from W posted today. Booked into A, but mileage posted was consistent with a C ticket i.e. 1.25 RDM & 1.5 EQM. Check-in agents were confused, asked questions, and I think even printed extra copies of my BP. Cause for concern?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by NYCSINUA
interesting new data point. an Y->F upgrade from W posted today. Booked into A, but mileage posted was consistent with a C ticket i.e. 1.25 RDM & 1.5 EQM. Check-in agents were confused, asked questions, and I think even printed extra copies of my BP. Cause for concern?
Some GAs don't appear to be "with the program" yet. You'll be fine.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JetAway
Some GAs don't appear to be "with the program" yet. You'll be fine.
Unless your trip involves an IAD departure.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Unless your trip involves an IAD departure.
Any more info as to how that "incident" was finally resolved?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: United 2P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
There are two kinds of upgrades offered for cash at the airport. UFCs (Upgrade for Cash) and PCUs (Premium Cabin Upsells). UFCs are only offered when there is a lot of availability and UA IM decides (in their mysterious way) to offer them. Agents in theory are supposed to offer PCUs (slightly higher priced than UFC) at check-in or the gate if there are any open seats after all other UGs have cleared. In practice though this depends on the station and the agent. Some agents believe they can only offer PCUs when there is NF or NC availability. I don't think anyone knows for sure which is correct since no one has been able to supply a copy of the PCU policy profile. It often helps to push hard if you want to buy a PCU.
This is the best explanation I've seen of PCU vs UFC.

A year ago I was at the SFO check-in counter to check in to a flight to SYD with no NC space available - I asked for an opportunity to purchase a PCU and the agent said no cash upgrade option was available. I pushed a bit harder and said that there should be an option for me to purchase a Premium Cabin Upsell and she ended up calling a supervisor and the supervisor was able to get me into Business Class Pushing hard is great advice for getting a PCU.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Just an added datapoint:

Booked on ORD-SIN for late January. All legs with exception of NRT-SIN previously cleared to NC via SWU.

Details for NRT-SIN are XF0, NF3, XC0, NC0. Offered upsell on NRT-SIN from W to F (A fare) for $400+.

Since it's a short trip and the sleep on a 7 hour flight will make it better, I decide to go for it.
Once completed, I called 1K desk and asked them to remove the NC waitlist for that leg. Agent said no problem.

Log out of .bomb, log back in, everything is perfect.

Dave
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by bseller
Just an added datapoint:

Booked on ORD-SIN for late January. All legs with exception of NRT-SIN previously cleared to NC via SWU.

Details for NRT-SIN are XF0, NF3, XC0, NC0. Offered upsell on NRT-SIN from W to F (A fare) for $400+.

Since it's a short trip and the sleep on a 7 hour flight will make it better, I decide to go for it.
Once completed, I called 1K desk and asked them to remove the NC waitlist for that leg. Agent said no problem.

Log out of .bomb, log back in, everything is perfect.

Dave
Wow this is a great use of $400 in my opinion. A 3 class F experience for 7 hours for that amount I would do it every time. I hope to run into this situation in the near future and instead of looking for NC space as having something other than zero, we now are looking for NC0 and NF1 correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.