FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:03 am
Lost Cause

Programs: UA 1K
Wait on SWU to NC or Buy Upsell W > A

Been reading this thread with great interest:

I am a 1K that purchased two RT W fare tickets (HSV-BKK) on 04 June for travel on 6/19 July at $2250 per ticket. After purchase I requested SWU from W to NC on all legs using 4 SWU.

Outbound routing: HSV-IAD-NRT-BKK cleared the NRT/BKK leg to NC within 24 hours of my request. And at the same time I was offered to purchase a return leg upsell (NRT-ORD), W > A, at $999 each but I declined.

Segue to today and none of my other waitlisted legs have cleared; so I broke down and purchased the return leg upsell to A (it reflects A on my .bomb reservation). And as soon as I closed out of .bomb and logged back on I was offered the opportunity to purchase the upsell on my outbound leg from IAD-NRT at $999 each.

I don't know what to think about the glitch theory; seems more revenue driven to me. Now I am wondering what my chances really were for getting the SWU upgrade from NRT-ORD and whether or not I should hold out and hope for the best on my SWU request from IAD-NRT; or to break down again and pay for the upsell.

Any thoughts?