Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is United Global Services?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:09 pm

Hope OP isn't so now that s/he has gained some @:-) about UA's :-: pax.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by arj-lax
Thanks for the helpful response
Just curious, and I promise I won't laugh (not so you can hear anyway )...

When they called Global Services, why did you step up? What did you think it was?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, BA G, VS G, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyinbob

When they called Global Services, why did you step up? What did you think it was?

Just thought it referred to anyone not holding a Blue MP card --i.e. all the premiers, 1k etc ... didn't realise they had a 'secret' class that isn't mentioned anywhere on their website ...
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:24 pm

Just thought it referred to anyone not holding a Blue MP card --i.e. all the premiers, 1k etc ... didn't realise they had a 'secret' class that isn't mentioned anywhere on their website ...
There is a stray mention of it here and there on the UA website. Here is one example (scroll down to "When will my United upgrades be confirmed?"). Of course, all this would tell you is there is something special about GS's, and you'd wonder even more.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Heck, I thought at first, prior to joining FT, UGS was some glorified UA global package courier service... ya know....UPS...UGS

Pat
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
... didn't realise they had a 'secret' class that isn't mentioned anywhere on their website ...
I thought it was secret, too, 'til I read an article about it in "the New York Times" earlier this year (before I learned about FT; otherwise, I definitely would have posted a link to the article).
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
Hope OP isn't so now that s/he has gained some @:-) about UA's :-: pax.
This made me at first, but then I thought it was . All in all, I'd give it a ^ .
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:52 pm

Location: NW Platinum, UA UGS, Hertz Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Just to clarify, I am a 2P UGS (only flew 1,000 miles on UA last year) through corporate affiliation so it is possible to be 2P and UGS although I am *G. (Also, when booking through *A carriers they recognize me as a "United Premier Executive").
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by lavasushi
I am a 2P UGS (only flew 1,000 miles on UA last year)

Then you must be controlling some major big-time purse strings.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:42 pm
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Hmm... So i guess that would make me a G2K (GS w. 200K bis miles)

-Par

Originally Posted by camachinist
OP, welcome to FlyerTalk

You'll find we have a fair amount of Global Services members here. Very interesting and diverse group.

Often (but not always), they identify themselves in their program area (like where you put your 1P status); some will simply put GS or UGS, or they might put their level, like GK (like RobotDoctor) or GP. These signify mileage flown, similar to 2P, 1P and 1K. Hence, a GK is a UGS member who has flown at least 100K EQM's in the last qualification period. I believe any UGS member will be identified as GP (the 50K EQM) at the minimum, if they haven't flown to the 100K level.

From my readings, the main benefits are more individualized service, more flexibility to accomodate a UGS for changes/upgrades/awards/irrops, etc., as well as the more obvious things noted in GA/FA announcements and UA signage around airports.

As a 1P, you enjoy many elite benefits not afforded to most casual passengers. Enjoy the ride and your stay on FT

Pat
Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
Originally Posted by flyinbob

I realize the OP responded to your question fyinbob, but I will hazard an answer as well, which is what caught a 1P colleague of mine the last time we flew together. When they announced "United Global Services" he just assumed that was some fancy schmancy way of saying "Star Alliance Gold." I got a good laugh however when he told me the story, although his expanation of "well the Star Alliance is global, right?" did let me give him just the slightest break.

Then had him look in on this little place I knew called FT -- just can't for the life of me figure out his handle.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by par
Hmm... So i guess that would make me a G2K (GS w. 200K bis miles)

-Par
No, it makes you too much Butt In Seat.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:17 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by camachinist
Heck, I thought at first, prior to joining FT, UGS was some glorified UA global package courier service... ya know....UPS...UGS

Pat
When it was first introduced 4 years ago, I was on a 757 and the FA was taking meal orders. He went to the pax sitting next to me and asked for his order, then when I was about to open my mouth to tell him what I wanted, he quickly left for another pax. Guess who was asked last!? I was told what meal I was having.

Not to make a big stink, I went to the galley and asked him why I was not given my choice. "It's says here that you are Global Services - that means you are an employee, right?" United did not inform the FA's properly about this new tier and many thought it was an employee designation.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:17 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by cblaisd
True indeed. But unhelpful and sarcastic posts have been deleted since they are not germane or helpful re the o.p.'s question.

Thanks, RobotDoctor, for the helpful reply.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
[Discussion of moderation removed per http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q86 ]

In general UGS are people how spend more and fly more and thus are being treated better.... everything else is speculation as we all know

Nobody knows the qulification criteria for UGS. So any qulitative remark on who gets it is plain false.

On top of it it is not even part of the MP program.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 4, 2006 at 1:24 am
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:53 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I'll put my hand up for being GS for the past couple of years, but I don't have a hope of being re-invited next year.

I don't think anyone can maintain GS year after year based on their own travel on coach tickets without getting burned out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.