Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is United Global Services?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
I certainly do not fit this mold but have been UGS 3 out of 4 years. A great many people earn UGS simply by spending a significant amount to fly UA. Often times this is a result of the business these members are involved in. To simply state that UGS is the VIP/CEO comp program is simply not entirely accurate.
Thanks for the clarification - my post was only to outline that there are people who are not personally regular UA customers who get UGS status and the rationale for it.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:56 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
If there are 20,000 UGS members as has been noted, this math doesnt work. 30 million MP members means 300,000 UGS under your formula. Maybe it's the top 1/10th of 1 percent?
You are correct -- My post left out a very key word: Top 1% of United's *elite* customers.

And I wouldn't bet the house on anyone knowing the exact number of UGS members.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Axey
You are correct -- My post left out a very key word: Top 1% of United's *elite* customers.

And I wouldn't bet the house on anyone knowing the exact number of UGS members.

I'd bet the house that there is at least one person that knows the exact number.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:10 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
I'd bet the house that there is at least one person that knows the exact number.
Hah. Ok, outside UA
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:49 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
So if you're a 1P but a UGS, do you get all the benefits of a 1K and then some? Or do you have to be a UGS and a 1K? After all, you can spend $40 and still fly less than 100K or even less than 50K.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Axey
UGS is top 1% of United's customers
...per market, I think?
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for the clarification - my post was only to outline that there are people who are not personally regular UA customers who get UGS status and the rationale for it.
elitetraveler,

Your point regarding CEOs is absolutely correct. The mysterious shroud over the UGS program certainly has many people up in arms. Maybe this is why the UGS card is black (as in black ops ).
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
elitetraveler,

Your point regarding CEOs is absolutely correct. The mysterious shroud over the UGS program certainly has many people up in arms. Maybe this is why the UGS card is black (as in black ops ).

Perhaps a UGS member on here can clarify, but I believe the correspondence for UGS and MP comes from different people. Also, different return address. I believe UGS is run fairly autonomously from MP.

Last edited by elitetraveler; Aug 5, 2006 at 11:45 am
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Perhaps a UGS member on here can clarify, but I believe the correspondence for UGS and MP comes from different people. Also, different return address. I believe UGS is run fairly autonomously from MP.
You are correct. UGS is run by Executive Services at WHQ. MP is run in the Loyalty department.

[off-topic material removed by moderator]

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 8, 2006 at 1:41 am
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
[quote of now deleted material removed by moderator]

Yes, I agree with BJ and iwebslinger that anything related to UGS should be a sticky. Out of curiosity, I wonder how many threads have been started regarding UGS? I also wonder and how many are redundant.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 8, 2006 at 1:41 am
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, BA G, VS G, SPG Platinum
Thnx for all the responses--does someone has the UGS number? Maybe we can call and ask!!!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:53 pm
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm not entirely sure about this one. I'm UGS and my president is not. He travels UA as do i (but i travel more than him). Last time we travelled together he commented on the service i recieved as UGS and i found out he was a 1K. He asked me how he could get a UGS card. I told him to request one with UA. He controls a $200M USD travel budget (our corporate budget) and we are one of the largest companies in our market (we are a public company).

I was really surprised to learn he didn't have UGS since most of his reports have it. Then again he uses the corporate jet for domestic travel and UA for international travel.

UGS is offered to CEOs (or C-Level Executives/Board of Directors) of major corporate accounts (even if they don't fly commercially or with United) to ensure when the fly UA they will get the highest level of attention in case their asst. or whomever forgets to personally request the VIP attention. The reason is if the CEO of a major corporate account or a major influencer gets bad service, a big chunk of revenue could be at risk for UA. They also invite top executives of key partners. For example, if Hotel Chain X is a MP partner, chances are the VP-Mktg is UGS. In this case, UA wants to ensure that key partners always get the best possible experience. That way, when they are at a cocktail party and a regular 1k is b*tching about how UA s*cks, they can retort I only fly UA once in awhile but it's always terrific.

I heard a UA exec at a conf a couple years ago talking about UGS and he mentioned they at that time ran a daily or weekly report (for top sales and marketing management) that flagged any flights with UGSs that had delays/cancellations so they could proactively reach out to them and make sure they were handled properly (i.e. - We know Mr. CEOs flight from SFO to NRT was cancelled but just wanted to check and make sure his flight on JL was OK).
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by par
I'm not entirely sure about this one. I'm UGS and my president is not. He travels UA as do i (but i travel more than him). Last time we travelled together he commented on the service i recieved as UGS and i found out he was a 1K. He asked me how he could get a UGS card. I told him to request one with UA. He controls a $200M USD travel budget (our corporate budget) and we are one of the largest companies in our market (we are a public company).

I was really surprised to learn he didn't have UGS since most of his reports have it. Then again he uses the corporate jet for domestic travel and UA for international travel.

Your president should ask your travel manager or travel agent. One of them probably furnished the list to UA sales. Perhaps since he flies by private jet they figured you guys would get more benefit than he. While I don't believe there is a set formula on how many UGS a company can have, my educated guess is as part of the annual deal your company was allocated x number and somebody from your company or agency assigned them based on their assumptions of who might benefit most. Chances are at that volume a request for an extra UGS for the president would get allocated whether he flies UA even once a year. UA is approximately $20 billion in revenue so your travel budget is significant (is that a $200 million travel budget - right?). If he has a problem getting it, contact John Tague who is the EVP and Chief Revenue Officer at UA - I think $200 million would be of interest to him.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 5:32 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevinsac

Then you must be controlling some major big-time purse strings.
I didn't read the rest of the thread yet so maybe this is covered, but when you see Hertz Platinum in someone's profile, that is usually the case .
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Just curious, and I promise I won't laugh (not so you can hear anyway )...

When they called Global Services, why did you step up? What did you think it was?
Of course, if the GA called "GS and F" or "GS, F, and name-any-other-combo-of-categories", the OP would have been correct in stepping up and the GA would have been wrong to stop him. Only if they call only GS should the MP elites not step up.

I have never herd them call only GS. It's usually GS and some others, at the least F. Per the UA rules, MP elites (2P, 1P, 1K, *S, *G) can board with F. (see http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1163,00.html)

Last edited by PATRLR; Aug 6, 2006 at 11:19 am Reason: fix typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.