Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Lightbulb Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Update:
I apologize for the delay in providing you with an update. I had been trying very hard to reach AA through many different channels (and I mean, many) to no avail until a few days ago.

I got a personal phone call from AA's Executive Office (a nice touch, I must say) telling me that they had learned about our wanting to switch to AA and they were very excited to work with me to possibly switch to AA. Here's what I can tell you. Basically, they will not outright "match" anyone to Executive Platinum unless you belong to an organization or personally has a contract with AA promising certain amount of travel. However, they are willing to look at each request on a case by case basis (how much you fly, how much you are willing to commit to flying AA, how much you are willing to spend with AA etc). They made it clear that they did not want to hand out status for free (sorry, no free riders).

Unfortunately, this person does not want me to share their information but did say that if anyone is interested, write to AAdvantage Customer Service and explain to them that you are interested in switching to AA and most importantly, show them that you are willing to commit a certain amount of travel or spend and these emails would be forwarded to the appropriate person who will work with you. I'm not allowed to discuss what they offered me, but I can tell you:

Here's what AA is willing to do, on a case by case basis:
1. Outright complimentary Concierge Key and Executive Platinum status, if you demonstrate your commitment to AA via a contract.
2. Outright complimentary Platinum or Gold status, with an Executive Platinum challenge with or without a fee (it is be based on EQP, elite qualifying points, not miles). This is by invitation only and is not available by request.
3. Outright complimentary Platinum or Gold status, with or without a fee. Also, this is by invitation only and is not available by request.
4. Platinum or Gold status challenge, with the fee waived.
5. Platinum or Gold status challenge, with the sign up fee, available to everyone.

-----

Given the recent merger announcement, some of us were already feeling uneasy about what changes Continental would bring to United. But, we stuck around, because change can sometimes be good. We accepted that our SWUs can only be used on W+ fares even when W fares for certain routes (i.e. SFO-SYD) are sometimes as high as $2000 when AA SWUs can be used on virtually any fare. We tolerated not having access to the same award inventory as the rest of the Star Alliance members like US Airways because of Starnet blocking. We fought to use our expired drink chits for the times we are seated in economy when AA gives free drink AND food items to Executive-Platinums. Now, they are taking away our CR1s.

The other half and I, both 1Ks, have been thinking about asking AA to match us to Executive Platinums. We know that AA normally does not match people to Ex-plats, but since there are two of us giving them 250,000 miles of flying per year, we think we may have a slim chance. Then I thought, what if I gathered a bunch of 1Ks and GSs on FT who are looking to do the same. Then, we might actually have a shot if we asked AA as a group, especially with UA/CO merger putting AA in an uncomfortable position. I asked this same question in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...elopments.html thread and had gotten quite a few responses there and via PMs.

So, if you are ready to go to the dAArk side, join the other 1Ks and GSs and ask AA to match us to Executive-Platinums. With StarAllianceFanatic, a 1.5MM GS, who is willing to bring 35 other 1Ks and GSs to AA if they grant us Ex-plat, this is looking pretty good.

If you have any ideas on what the best way is to proceed, feel free to post here or PM me.

People who have shown interest so far:
52 1Ks/GSs
?? more 1Ks and GSs from StarAllianceFanatic
Total: 52+
11/22/10 8:23 AM PST

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
@:-) Here's an idea @:-)

Why don't we gather a bunch of 1Ks who are willing to switch our business to AA exclusively if they match us to executive platinum? Or at least let us do an Executive Platinum challenge?

The other Bliss and I are both 1Ks and were actually thinking about writing to AA to see if they would match us, or at least do an exec-plat challenge. We knew that AA didn't match to ex-plat but figured we'd give it a shot since there are 2 of us giving them ~250,000 miles of flying.

If there are more FT 1Ks who are willing to do the same, we might actually have a shot, because if we have enough people, it'd almost be like a small business and AA has been known to grant ex-plats to certain small businesses. @:-)
Originally Posted by pigx5
I join.
Originally Posted by travelsavant
I'm in! Was going to do the AA Challenge next year anyway, so maybe start a separate thread to enroll more 1K's?
Originally Posted by StarAllianceFanatic
+1

They will only match up to Platinum unless you get high enough in the organization. Delta only to Gold, BTW, unless you find the right person. I am in. I am GS, 1.5MM, and bring 35 1k's/GS's with me with an annual spend of over $1M in addition to my measly $35-$40K spend this year. UA was on my bad side since the GS renewal process unfolded this summer and today the trend continues. Honestly, why wait, an airline that does this to its loyal customers is headed for bankruptcy again anyway and this time I doubt they will recover.

PS....still don't see anything offering assurances that UDU's will continue.
Originally Posted by bajong
I would consider this. AA has pretty good flights out of HNL anyway. I'm very disappointed about losing 2 or 4 CR-1's as I don't hit 150K EQM's per year. United
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I'll bring six more 1K's with!

Last edited by BlissWorld; Dec 22, 2010 at 4:27 pm
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Last I checked AA doesn't have anything close to CR1 and if you want to upgrade a companion that's not full fare, you have to purchase instruments and there's no E+ to fall back on. And starnet blocking sucks, but oneworld doesn't have anywhere close to the network that *A has, so I don't think you come out any better there.

Not saying that the changes don't hurt (for some), but there are absolutely some people who gain from it, and they aren't that big. If you want to leave, I think you're overreacting, but best of luck to you. But if you're making empty threats to do it in the hopes that UA changes their stance, that's a little silly.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I'd definitely think of it. Bonuses for me are the fact that AA has an Admirals Club @ MCI, which would be nicer than the UA gates. However, AA does not fly to a few of the destinations that I frequent. In addition, as others have mentioned, there would not be E+ for me to fall back on if I failed an upgrade..

As far as upgrades, does EX Plat get UDU, or do you still have to use the e500 "stickers" ?

At the moment, I think I'll have to wait to see what else changes. If nothing else goes away, then I'll most likely stay with UA. If they do change something major (E+), then I'll probably leave.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Nov 17, 2010 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antipode
Last I checked AA doesn't have anything close to CR1 and if you want to upgrade a companion that's not full fare, you have to purchase instruments and there's no E+ to fall back on.
AA gets 8 evips (SWUs) to be used on virtually any fare (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's only like 1 bucket excluded, which is like UA's K, last minute specials). With the new UA rules, 1K would get only 6 SWUs plus 2 CR1s if they reach 75K EQM. So, AA is still far better for me personally.

but oneworld doesn't have anywhere close to the network that *A has, so I don't think you come out any better there.
Let's see, OneWorld has Japan and Cathay, connecting you to pretty much all of Asia and their award availability is pretty amazing. Star has ANA and Asiana (I'm counting SQ out because they block pretty much all awards) and getting ANA F is well, next to impossible outside of low season (Jan-Mar). OneWorld has BA to Europe and BA has amazing award availability. Star has LH and LX....good luck getting any LX award from US-EU. Thanks to US Airways giving away miles at 0.7 cents/mile, enjoy almost no award availability in the *A network. There's also LAN for South America (and oh, Tam is most likely going away since LAN bought them).

This thread isn't really an UA bashing thread, or even a discussion about which is better, UA or AA. Becuase, those of us who have done the research and have been flying for a while, we know which airline suits us better.

Last edited by BlissWorld; Nov 17, 2010 at 10:01 am
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Is it too early to jump ship?

I know the recent announcement is a bummer, but couldn't the new United also announce changes that positively affect their most loyal customers?

It will take more than what's been announced to make me jump to another carrier. Say, for instance, if we lose E+.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Please count me in

1.1 million mikes LHR based 1K, very disappointed with the news
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Ex-plats earn 500 milers like any other elites except they can use the 500 milers for their companions since themselves get unlimited upgrades. (ex-plats get UDU, including AA's p.s.)
Bliss, unfortunately once EXPs achieve EXP, we not longer earn 500 milers. So I have to buy them ($30 per) for the Mrs.
Also, UDUs cannot be used for J to F on the p.s. equivalent three class flights, only Y>J. The only J>F upgrade instrument on the three class is the SWU (eVIP), or mileage.
And yes, we can use the eVIPs on any fare.
As for TPAC awards, I had no problem booking two First Class CX award tickets SFO-HKG for our upcoming BKK trip. I booked six months out and could have picked almost any day.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'd definitely think of it. Bonuses for me are the fact that AA has an Admirals Club @ MCI, which would be nicer than the UA gates. However, AA does not fly to a few of the destinations that I frequent. In addition, as others have mentioned, there would not be E+ for me to fall back on if I failed an upgrade..
There's always exit rows. I know E+ is good, but when I fly CO or DL where E+ doesn't exist, I always end up in exit rows if my upgrades don't clear. But, you really have to think which airline suits you better. For me, LAX based, it's a no brainer. LAX is also an AA hub and AA has been focusing on expanding LAX. They just added 10 nonstop service last month at LAX.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
As far as upgrades, does EX Plat get UDU, or do you still have to use the e500 "stickers" ?
EXplats get UDU

Originally Posted by agarc
I know the recent announcement is a bummer, but couldn't the new United also announce changes that positively affect their most loyal customers?
I don't think many of us who are ready to switch are doing it only because of the recent CR1 announcement. There have been a lot of things going on with Continental getting involved and this recent development just became the last straw.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Bliss, unfortunately once EXPs achieve EXP, we not longer earn 500 milers. So I have to buy them ($30 per) for the Mrs.
Also, UDUs cannot be used for J to F on the p.s. equivalent three class flights, only Y>J. The only J>F upgrade instrument on the three class is the SWU (eVIP), or mileage.
Oh okay, my mistake. Did that recently change? In any event, thanks for letting us know.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ex-plats earn 500 milers like any other elites except they can use the 500 milers for their companions since themselves get unlimited upgrades. (ex-plats get UDU, including AA's p.s.)
No, AA EXPs DO NOT earn 500 miler (stickers). To upgrade companions not on full fares, gotta buy the stickers.

And since we are on the upgrade subject. AA gets 8 evips (SWUs) to be used on virtually any fare (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's only like 1 bucket excluded, which is like UA's K, last minute specials). With the new UA rules, 1K would get only 6 SWUs plus 2 CR1s if they reach 75K EQM. So, AA is still far better here.
AA's SWUs are good on any published fare, including discount biz fares (for upgrades to F on three-class service).

Oh okay, my mistake. Did that recently change? In any event, thanks for letting us know.
Not too recently - it changed in early 2004 when AA granted UDU to EXPs.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
This is incorrect. EXP gets UDU but in exchange do not earn 500 milers.

This thread isn't really an UA bashing thread, or even a discussion about which is better, UA or AA. Becuase, those of us who have done the research and have been flying for a while, we know which airline suits us better.
No program is the best for all. Maybe AA is better for you. I'm just saying do your homework before you do anything. If CR1s are what make it or break it for you, then AA will not be any better in that area.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SFO777
Just to cover the bases, there are some exclusions in the fine print, though they may not impact most flyers.
Upgrades are only valid on individual published-fare tickets. Upgrades are not applicable to AAdvantage travel awards; any free ticket; military or other government fares; opaque fares; infant tickets (including INF50 fares) or
purchased extra seats.
AA publishes its membership guides on line. LINK to EXP Guide

Let's see, OneWorld has Japan and Cathay, connecting you to pretty much all of Asia and their award availability is pretty amazing.
Again, you need to be very careful and read the fine print. Many fares on Cathay, when booked in discount economy with a Cathay flight number, do not earn miles. Look at the partners chart if you might be relying on partners to see how you would be impacted. You don't want to be surprised after you change alliances.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...n.jsp?from=Nav

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 17, 2010 at 5:21 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:33 am

Count me in
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Trappy
1.1 million mikes LHR based 1K, very disappointed with the news
As a LHR based 1K myself, the news was neither good nor bad. I rarely use CR1s so going from 8 to 6 makes no difference. Now, losing E+, that's different.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Again, you need to be very careful and read the fine print. Many fares on Cathay, when booked in discount economy with a Cathay flight number, do not earn miles. Look at the partners chart if you might be relying on partners to see how you would be impacted. You don't want to be surprised after you change alliances.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...n.jsp?from=Nav
That is no different than UA with other star alliance earnings. Many airlines like Air New Zealand and Singapore will not earn you any UA miles whatsoever on discounted economy fares.

No program is the best for all. Maybe AA is better for you. I'm just saying do your homework before you do anything. If CR1s are what make it or break it for you, then AA will not be any better in that area.
You are absolutely right that we need to do our homework. But, as an 1K, you get 6 SWUs for W+ fares and 2 CR1s only at 75K EQM and 2 more at 100K EQM where as an AA explat, you get 8 SWUs to be used on any fare. 8 unrestricted instruments vs 6 restricted instruments + 4 region 1. Which one is better? You will have to decide.

And I think some of us already have, and so we have this thread. So far, we have:

10 1Ks/GSs
41 other 1Ks and GSs to be brought in

51 is a good number to start
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I'm in for their domestics. I'm not too familiar with their international routes or product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.