Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I'm in. And I apologize to lili for putting her in the 1K dead end.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by bniu
All in All, EXP is just a better program than 1K.

EXP only needs 100 EQS, 1K needs 120 EQS

EXP EQM == BIS, 1K can get EQM bonuses

EXP and 1K both get UDU

EXP is highest priority, 1K is behind GS

EXP gets UDU Y -> J on 3 class AFS flights, 1K doesn't on p.s.

1K gets UDU J -> F on 3 class non-P.S. flights, EXP even better, AA will sell the 3 cabin plane as 2 class and give the J seats to elites for Free, and let EXP UDU to the F cabin.

EXP gets Flagship Lounge Access, 1K doesn't get IFL access

EXP gets 8 SWU, plus 4 more per 50K EQMs, 1K only gets 6, and 2 more per 50K EQMs.

EXP gets cheaper mileage upgrade co-pays to Hawaii, 1K gets hosed on them

1K gets CR-1s, EXP gets more SWUs

EXP gets First Class lounge access on OneWorld Partners, 1K gets relegated to Business Class Lounges on Star Partners

EXP will also get soft landing, 1Ks can go from 1K to nothing

EXP can reach lifetime Platinum in just a few years, with 2MM where all miles count, 1K needs 1MM BIS to reach lifetime 1P, and 3MM BIS for lifetime 1K (more than most people fly in a lifetime).

EXP is the highest tier, 1K is NOT

AAdvantage is just a better program than Mileage Plus, much easier to redeem awards

NGBC may be angled lie-flat, but 2x3x2 on a 772 sure beats 2x4x2

AA also has row 17 of the 767-300, the J cabin of the 772/762 serving as "E+" on domestic routes.

AA also has lie-flat seats in F on the Hawaii Long Hauls out of DFW/ORD
Looks like you've studied both programs. Any idea how easy it is to UG on TPACs with SWU or miles? Do EXP have priority on these UGs.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As a LHR based 1K myself, the news was neither good nor bad. I rarely use CR1s so going from 8 to 6 makes no difference. Now, losing E+, that's different.
I agree but they can always be traded 2CR1 - 1 SWU which equals 4 more SWU that I have lost

Last edited by Trappy; Nov 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by 5khours
+1 - But all the best to anyone leaving and I look forward to not having to compete with your for UGs on UA.
You won't be competing with us anyway, you'll be competing with Smisek's $79 buy up Kettles along with a million other CO and UA battleground warriors.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by violist
I'm in. And I apologize to lili for putting her in the 1K dead end.

That's a bit dramatic, I think. I'm annoyed, too, but "dead end"?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:47 pm

We are in
Myseld 1k
wife Premier Exec
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
I think I would be IN. the ONLY thing keeping it from being a stampede is E+. If we hear a whisper, NO BRAINER. Count this 1K+ in. .5MM last 3 years.

I do alot of transpac, the 8eVIP on any fare is pretty nice perk. = to 6SWU and 2CR anyway. actually better.

Also, MD80's are stale but have wifi...UA has no economy enhancement to offset. E+ is all that's left. See StarAllianceFanatic's post earlier in this thread.

So again, add me to the list. I really have no "loyalty" per se, but I do see the writing on the wall that is UA is United in name only. CO by any other name is still CO. I don't like the CO-olaide
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm wondering how many of the 1Ks in this thread got comped 1K status by UA as high-value flyers, like they expect AA to do for EXP.

For that matter, I wonder how many disgruntled NW flyers got comped EXP when DL "enhanced" their program (and if you think the UA/CO merger has ruined Mileage Plus, go look at the sackcloth and ashes 18 months ago from the NW board. You guys are getting off EASY.).
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by JSlo
You won't be competing with us anyway, you'll be competing with Smisek's $79 buy up Kettles...I do see the writing on the wall that is UA is United in name only. CO by any other name is still CO. I don't like the CO-olaide
touche.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm wondering how many of the 1Ks in this thread got comped 1K status by UA as high-value flyers, like they expect AA to do for EXP.
If the situation were reversed today and CO had merged with AA, you betcha UA would be matching 1Ks left to right.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
For that matter, I wonder how many disgruntled NW flyers got comped EXP when DL "enhanced" their program (and if you think the UA/CO merger has ruined Mileage Plus, go look at the sackcloth and ashes 18 months ago from the NW board. You guys are getting off EASY.).
Actually, that is exactly why Continental was poaching Delta/Northwest's Platinum Elites and offered them instantly Platinum match and they went one step further and offered EQM match. @:-) UA is AA's major competitor. It's a smart business decision to steal and take potential high yield customers, let alone when they are throwing themselves at you.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 18, 2010 at 12:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld

So, if you are ready to go to the dAArk side, join the other 1Ks and GSs and ask AA to match us to Executive-Platinums. With StarAllianceFanatic, a 1.5MM GS, who is willing to bring 35 other 1Ks and GSs to AA if they grant us Ex-plat, this is looking pretty good.

BlissWorld,

It may be a good time to update EXP vs 1K comparison thread (bniu post seems to feature primarily AA pluses)
Unless you fall in 100-120 segment category or need extra CR1s for PS routes nothing meaningful changed at UA.

I am EXP on AA and 1K on UA but next year I am dropping EXP (after about 25K on AA this year). Aside from the route structure (LAX based) several important aspects play in UA favor: AA does not have UDU for a companion, E+, *A is much better than OW both from earning and redeeming standpoints, ability to use SWUs on LH and a few other features. The biggest point for AA was EVIPs - usable on all fares and 8 of them.

Obviously it's a personal decision but I think folks overreact or simply do not know how the other side operates when I see rather silly "give me CR1s or I'll bolt to AA" posts.

Both programs have pluses and minuses (and both are heads and shoulders above DL) and nothing really changed with recent announcements.

Cheers!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Actually, that is exactly why Continental was poaching Delta/Northwest's Platinum Elites and offered them instantly Platinum match and they went one step further and offered EQM match.
CO, historically, has very liberally comped status- just turn in proof of status and flying activity with the competitor and you're matched. AA has not.

CO also didn't have a well-established 4th tier at that time. I'm pretty sure almost nobody is getting comped Presidential Platinum, and if they are, there's a lot of dollars involved (probably corporate contract level).

It's a smart business decision to steal and take potential high yield customers, let alone when they are throwing themselves at you.
I also think it's a smart decision not to devalue your top-level status by allowing people to waltz into your top tier who buy $99 transcons and TPA-IAD-ORD-SFO-LAX-SEA-DEN-IAD-TPA mileage runs (using UA's liberal routing rules to sneak in a ton of EQMs and connections on fairly low base fares). There are plenty of these kinds of 1Ks on FT, who are now going boo-hoo-hoo, I don't get as many CR-1s for when I buy p.s. Y fares, let's see if I can get comped EXP so I can fly AFS J for $149.

I actually think making people show they have "skin in the game" by issuing challenges for status, and not awarding top tier isn't a bad decision at all. It makes EXP and AA status valuable (especially since this means EXPs have already demonstrated they are loyal customers by sitting their butts down in a lot of AA metal over a calendar year, without comp upgrades to F or upgrade instruments getting them into INTL J for the majority of their flying, and challengers have also demonstrated they aren't fooling around, they will be steering business to AA).

I also don't see what makes UA 1Ks precious unique snowflakes deserving of special treatment compared to another high-value customer who might have come over a month or two ago, did their Platinum challenge and got the shiny metal card, is going for EXP in 2011, and then gets to watch y'all rocket past them without even needing to set foot on an AA plane. Or are all the high-value customers AA should be comping EXP 1Ks who post on FT, and everyone else isn't really valuable?

In any event, good luck to you: for your sake, I hope my skepticism is unfounded, and you all end up happy EXPs. People should fly airlines that meet their needs.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 17, 2010 at 4:44 pm
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by azepine00
... I think folks overreact or simply do not know how the other side operates when I see rather silly "give me CR1s or I'll bolt to AA" posts.
Actually, like I said in my previous posts, there are many reasons why I personally, and along with many others, are thinking about moving to AA. It's not just because of "silly give me CR1s or I'll bolt to AA posts." Some of us have flown Continental extensively and we are very familiar with what Smisek is capable of doing. We see what's ahead. The CR1 and EQS announcement is just the beginning of the end.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All in All, EXP is just a better program than 1K.

EXP only needs 100 EQS, 1K needs 120 EQS
hard to argue

EXP EQM == BIS, 1K can get EQM bonuses
better for 1Ks as a few occasional Y and above fares add to your total

EXP and 1K both get UDU
1K allows +1 on UDU but on AA you'll have to pay (a lot) extra to get stickers for your +1

EXP is highest priority, 1K is behind GS
agree

EXP gets UDU Y -> J on 3 class AFS flights, 1K doesn't on p.s.
1K also gets UDU on 3 class. A better way to say is that there is no UDU on ps routes

1K gets UDU J -> F on 3 class non-P.S. flights, EXP even better, AA will sell the 3 cabin plane as 2 class and give the J seats to elites for Free, and let EXP UDU to the F cabin.
Nice but extremely limited

EXP gets Flagship Lounge Access, 1K doesn't get IFL access
On international itineraries

EXP gets 8 SWU, plus 4 more per 50K EQMs, 1K only gets 6, and 2 more per 50K EQMs.
definitely advantage AA especially with all classes eligible - the strongest point for AA

EXP gets cheaper mileage upgrade co-pays to Hawaii, 1K gets hosed on them
What copays??? It's UDU with 100% success rates with plenty of widebodies

1K gets CR-1s, EXP gets more SWUs
The proper way to put it is: 1K get CR1, EXP don't so there is no opportunity to confirm anything in advance.

EXP gets First Class lounge access on OneWorld Partners, 1K gets relegated to Business Class Lounges on Star Partners
agree here but there are more *A lounges worldwide

EXP will also get soft landing, 1Ks can go from 1K to nothing
Yes but we are comparing 1K vs EXP benefits

EXP can reach lifetime Platinum in just a few years, with 2MM where all miles count, 1K needs 1MM BIS to reach lifetime 1P, and 3MM BIS for lifetime 1K (more than most people fly in a lifetime).
I would not count on this as numerous threads suggest this is about to change

EXP is the highest tier, 1K is NOT
Didn't you mention this already earlier

AAdvantage is just a better program than Mileage Plus, much easier to redeem awards
Quite the opposite in my experience but it probably depend on where you fly.

NGBC may be angled lie-flat, but 2x3x2 on a 772 sure beats 2x4x2
why??? flat seat on UA is much better than a sloping one what does it have to do with configuration

AA also has row 17 of the 767-300, the J cabin of the 772/762 serving as "E+" on domestic routes.
you can't seriously compare one row and a few 3 class flights to fleetwide E+

AA also has lie-flat seats in F on the Hawaii Long Hauls out of DFW/ORD
and UA has more flights with better availability form the west coast where AA flies 757s
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver
No one wants to move to DL?

Anyway, this thread is a little biased. It states several advantages of AA's program compared with UA MP, but there are certainly dAArk aspects of AA, the most remarkable one being its poor route network and partner airlines. What's the point of saying UA's W fare on SFO-SYD is over $2000? AA doesn't even fly anywhere-SYD. Besides, if you travel to Europe a lot, the amount saved by using AA's SWU may well be used to pay the hefty UK tax.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Actually, like I said in my previous posts, there are many reasons why I personally, and along with many others, are thinking about moving to AA. It's not just because of "silly give me CR1s or I'll bolt to AA posts." Some of us have flown Continental extensively and we are very familiar with what Smisek is capable of doing. We see what's ahead. The CR1 and EQS announcement is just the beginning of the end.
I am definitely concerned about Smisek&co (mostly from posts here so I really appreciate your feedback) but I am not in favor of preemptive jump. So far I am not seeing any major benefit dilution and the recent update hasn't changed it.
Also I doubt AA is gonna stand still and not dilute/depreciate bennies. From financial standpoint AA is weaker than UA/CO and I suspect some cuts will be made. Or AA may merge with US and then you'll really regret it... Remember CO was the least of two evils for UA and so far it's been OK without any DL-like horrors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.