Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

February 2016 an completely air-side path between T8/T7 and TBIT opened (Dotted line in above map)

To get from T8/T7 to T5, one has to walk from T7 to T6, using the spaghetti junction at the T6 TSA, then walk down the T6 concourse to the middle portion (Alaska Gates), then take the underground tunnel from T6 to T4 (to American gates). Take care not to go up to T5, roughly in the middle of the tunnel area.

T5<>T4, also connected via the same tunnel complex as T5 and T6, looks for signs pointing the directions to Gates 5x or 4x depending on direction.

@ T4 --- walk thru the waiting area for gate 40, near Gate 41 you'll see escalators in the distance. Hop on those, and follow the corridors. When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Archive thread: Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thank you - I truly value your input WineCountryUA (and your advice here has helped me on multiple occasions, so I give you multiple thank you’s). I’m a fast walker so with any luck I’ll also have time for a stop at the lounge, or perhaps that’s too optimistic. In any case, good to know!

Last edited by ARR72; May 22, 2021 at 2:59 pm Reason: Clarification
Old May 22, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can stay air-side (inside security) the whole way. It is approximately 1 mile of walking.
So if all ontime, you should easily be able to be at the departure before boarding has started.
Today’s news says that PR is complaining to LAWA after being forced to move to TBIT-W effective June 1. (Apparently lots of Fil-Am elderly with limited mobility.) So it looks like some airlines will be permanently in main and some west. 86B to TBIT-W will probably be more than a mile.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 4:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ARR72
... I’ll also have time for a stop at the lounge, or perhaps that’s too optimistic. ....
Probably best to get to TBIT right away and unfortunately the TBIT *A lounge is still closed. See this thread's wiki for a guide to staying air-side to TBIT.

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Today’s news says that PR is complaining to LAWA after being forced to move to TBIT-W effective June 1. ...
The poster was specifically asking about UA to LH. Not aware LH has moved.
ARR72 likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
The poster was specifically asking about UA to LH. Not aware LH has moved.
TBIT West is brand new, and since check in counters aren’t moving, there may not be announcements. But if west gates are used, it will cost extra minutes. PR is telling slower passengers to budget 20 minutes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's a 17-20 minute walk from T7 to TBIT. Assuming no inbound delay, 1:47 will be no problem and probably enough time to stop briefly by the UC which is right on the way at the corner of T7.
SPN Lifer and TWA884 like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You can stay air-side (inside security) the whole way. It is approximately 1 mile of walking.
So if all ontime, you should easily be able to be at the departure before boarding has started.
It's approximately a kilometer, about 0.62 mile.

I have walked several times between T4 and T7, it has never taken me longer than 10 minutes. Between T4 and the main TBIT concourse it has taken me 3-4 minutes. Add about 2-3 minutes if going to or from the 80's gates in T7, so for a fast walker it is at the most a twenty minutes walk, and probably less, from the farthest gate in T7 to the 130's and 150's gates at TBIT.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's approximately a kilometer, about 0.62 mile.

I have walked several times between T4 and T7, it has never taken me longer than 10 minutes. Between T4 and the main TBIT concourse it has taken me 3-4 minutes. Add about 2-3 minutes if going to or from the 80's gates in T7, so for a fast walker it is at the most a twenty minutes walk, and probably less, from the farthest gate in T7 to the 130's and 150's gates at TBIT.
Walking air-side or street-side? Due to the circuitous path, air-side is a bit longer. But 20 minutes is a common report. Walking street-side is faster but then you need to clear security. On a D->I you can avoid reclearing at the cost of a longer walk, on I->D, you have no choice to clear security so the street-side may make more sense.

Most people walk at 2.5 to 3 miles per hour.
Old May 22, 2021, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Walking air-side or street-side?
That's airside. I've never connected at LAX, being that it's my home airport, however, in the old days when one didn't need to present a boarding pass in order to enter the lounge, I spent time at the Admirals Club - where I have a membership - before boarding United flights. I've also walked from the Admirals Club to gates at TBIT. I agree that on I - D connections, when one has to re-clear security, I'd rather to walk outdoors.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:54 pm

LAX arrivals from Central America

I'm arriving LAX from SJO and am trying to figure out if it will be at TBIT or T7. Looking at recent Central America LAX arrivals it appears both terminals are used at times. Is there any pattern, or is it just dumb luck? I have a 90 minute connection to a domestic departure, so I'd sort of like to know what to expect.. If it proves to be a TBIT arrival, is there any airside connection to T7?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2021 at 12:57 pm Reason: Moved to LAX thread
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Starman
... If it proves to be a TBIT arrival, is there any airside connection to T7?
Yes, a little circuitous, see this thread's wiki for details -- roughly the better part of a mile in distance.

But after customs on arrival (no Preclearance at SJO) you will not be airside. You could reclear at TBIT or T4 or walk streat side to T7.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:28 pm

Yes, a little circuitous, see this thread's wiki for details -- roughly the better part of a mile in distance.

But after customs on arrival (no Preclearance at SJO) you will not be airside. You could reclear at TBIT or T4 or walk streat side to T7.
Thanks! How about the issue of whether one can predict in advance if it will be T7 or TBIT? Or must one wait until a few days in advance when the flight status display becomes alive?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Starman
Thanks! How about the issue of whether one can predict in advance if it will be T7 or TBIT? Or must one wait until a few days in advance when the flight status display becomes alive?
You'll know for sure when your flight pulls into the gate.
Starman, SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:06 pm

Please help LAX - International to Domestic transfer

Hello Flyertalk gurus,
I would appreciate your insights for a smooth transfer from international to domestic at LAX. My flight SQ38 from SIN arrives at 8:50pm and I have connection with United leaving after midnight (more than 3 hours transit time). I will check in 2 bags. The SQ & UA are on separate reservations/ different PNRs. I will clear customs at LAX and pick up my bags (because it is first port of entry).

Please help me with following questions:
1. Will SQ check in my bags all the way to my final destination in USA even though there are 2 separate tickets?
2. Does LAX have a bag drop facility at Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) so I don’t have to drag my bags all the way to Terminal 7?
3. Is it safe to walk from TBIT to T7 outside on the roadside? Any danger of muggings? How long to walk (with baggage cart)?
4. Are the shuttle buses between terminals reliable? How much time will it take?
5. Can I clear security at TBIT (after finishing customs/ immigration formalities) and walk inside secure area to T7? Is this a safer option?
6. Are skycaps in T7 around 11pm? So I can check in bags outside if I find a big line?

Thanks for helping out.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:16 pm

Welcome to FT!, raorajesh
Originally Posted by raorajesh
... I would appreciate your insights for a smooth transfer from international to domestic at LAX. My flight SQ38 from SIN arrives at 8:50pm and I have connection with United leaving after midnight (more than 3 hours transit time). I will check in 2 bags. The SQ & UA are on separate reservations/ different PNRs. I will clear customs at LAX and pick up my bags (because it is first port of entry).

1. Will SQ check in my bags all the way to my final destination in USA even though there are 2 separate tickets? ...
That's a question for SQ, not UA. But likely
2. Does LAX have a bag drop facility at Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) so I don’t have to drag my bags all the way to Terminal 7? ...
Yes if checked-thru
3. Is it safe to walk from TBIT to T7 outside on the roadside? Any danger of muggings? How long to walk (with baggage cart)? ...
yes, absolutely no reason to have a concern -- noisy, yes.
There is an airside route as an option, if you reclear security at TBIT or the adjacent T4
Internally/airside it is just short of a mile, streetside slightly less
4. Are the shuttle buses between terminals reliable? How much time will it take? ...
yes available, but slow due to traffic
5. Can I clear security at TBIT (after finishing customs/ immigration formalities) and walk inside secure area to T7? Is this a safer option? ...
Yes as mentioned there is a airside route from T4/TBIT. There is no safety issue (where are you getting this concern from???)
6. Are skycaps in T7 around 11pm? So I can check in bags outside if I find a big line? ...
Suspect not, the airport is pretty dead at that time, there will not be lines and if you are successful interlining with SQ to UA, bags will not be an issue
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Hello Flyertalk gurus,
I would appreciate your insights for a smooth transfer from international to domestic at LAX. My flight SQ38 from SIN arrives at 8:50pm and I have connection with United leaving after midnight (more than 3 hours transit time). I will check in 2 bags. The SQ & UA are on separate reservations/ different PNRs. I will clear customs at LAX and pick up my bags (because it is first port of entry).

1. Will SQ check in my bags all the way to my final destination in USA even though there are 2 separate tickets?
2. Does LAX have a bag drop facility at Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) so I don’t have to drag my bags all the way to Terminal 7?
3. Is it safe to walk from TBIT to T7 outside on the roadside? Any danger of muggings? How long to walk (with baggage cart)?
4. Are the shuttle buses between terminals reliable? How much time will it take?
5. Can I clear security at TBIT (after finishing customs/ immigration formalities) and walk inside secure area to T7? Is this a safer option?
6. Are skycaps in T7 around 11pm? So I can check in bags outside if I find a big line?

Thanks for helping out.
1. You need to pick up checked bags at LAX TBIT whether or not SQ let you check them through. You need to talk to SQ checkin agent about checked bags to your final destination.
2. Yes, pre-COVID. Ask about when exit TBiT.
3. Yes, or use Terminal connection shuttle to Terminal 7.
4. Yes, it takes less than five minutes.
5. If 2) still works, you can do that. The airside walk takes about 20 min; you have to follow signs closely.
6. I guess not, due to COVID.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.