Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

February 2016 an completely air-side path between T8/T7 and TBIT opened (Dotted line in above map)

To get from T8/T7 to T5, one has to walk from T7 to T6, using the spaghetti junction at the T6 TSA, then walk down the T6 concourse to the middle portion (Alaska Gates), then take the underground tunnel from T6 to T4 (to American gates). Take care not to go up to T5, roughly in the middle of the tunnel area.

T5<>T4, also connected via the same tunnel complex as T5 and T6, looks for signs pointing the directions to Gates 5x or 4x depending on direction.

@ T4 --- walk thru the waiting area for gate 40, near Gate 41 you'll see escalators in the distance. Hop on those, and follow the corridors. When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Archive thread: Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycityny
Would it be fair to say that if you have TSA PreCheck and Clear it would be faster to walk the direct route landside and then go through security?
Maybe? The only thing you're cutting off of the route is the trip through terminal 6 and back through terminal 4. So you're gambling on a short Pre line to save a couple of minutes of walking.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nycityny
Would it be fair to say that if you have TSA PreCheck and Clear it would be faster to walk the direct route landside and then go through security?
Originally Posted by jsloan
Maybe? The only thing you're cutting off of the route is the trip through terminal 6 and back through terminal 4. So you're gambling on a short Pre line to save a couple of minutes of walking.
If you're already airside, I find it's faster to walk airside. There's typically quite a bit of sidewalk congestion outside the terminals.
jsloan and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're already airside, I find it's faster to walk airside. There's typically quite a bit of sidewalk congestion outside the terminals.
As a New Yorker, jaywalk like a boss!

That said, I agree. If already airside, use the tunnels. If landside, walk landside
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you are already post security, such as arriving in T7 on a domestic flight, you can walk according to the above map, going through other terminals and tunnels to get to TBIT.

If you need to pick up baggage, or you are outside T7, you can walk a direct route and enjoy the fumes, you can also take a terminal bus and get stuck in airport traffic.

I personally like #1 (walk airside) or #2 (walk landside)
Also, just a heads up, the the Tom Bradley International Terminal is often referred to as terminal B. All the signs on your long trek from terminal 7 describe it as terminal B.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:20 pm

Currently looking at flights from SEA-HKG, and got 2 options from either connecting in SFO or LAX on my return flight. My origin flight has a 1hr connection at SFO, and not too concerned there from switching domestic to international considering it's all on United.

However, the return flight is the one that has me a bit more afraid.

Return 1 (1h 25 connection):
HKG - LAX, arrival at 5:45PM.
LAX - SEA, departure at 7:10PM.

Return 2 (1h50 connection):
HKG - SFO, arrival at 07:25 AM.
SFO - SEA, departure at 9:15 AM.

This would be in during weekday in Feb 2024, so not too big of a holiday rush.

However, the LAX connection is one I'm more concerned with as that's the last flight of the day, and I would need to wait for the next day to get rebooked. SFO connection is a bit longer at 1h50m, and there's way more flights that head to SFO that day. Planning on personal item/carry-on only, but don't have Global Entry. Would be using the Mobile Passport Control app to minimize time. I'm thinking that the SFO connection would be a lot safer than the one in LAX? However with Mobile Passport Control I think it could make this very doable for LAX?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bubblewhale
Currently looking at flights from SEA-HKG, and got 2 options from either connecting in SFO or LAX on my return flight. My origin flight has a 1hr connection at SFO, and not too concerned there from switching domestic to international considering it's all on United.

Return 1 (1h 25 connection):
HKG - LAX, arrival at 5:45PM.
LAX - SEA, departure at 7:10PM.

This would be in during weekday in Feb 2024, so not too big of a holiday rush.

However, the LAX connection is one I'm more concerned with as that's the last flight of the day, and I would need to wait for the next day to get rebooked. SFO connection is a bit longer at 1h50m, and there's way more flights that head to SFO that day. Planning on personal item/carry-on only, but don't have Global Entry. Would be using the Mobile Passport Control app to minimize time. I'm thinking that the SFO connection would be a lot safer than the one in LAX? However with Mobile Passport Control I think it could make this very doable for LAX?
I'd just do SFO connection for the SEA options and extra connect time. I don't think the mobile passport app saves significant time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'd just do SFO connection for the SEA options and extra connect time. I don't think the mobile passport app saves significant time.
Gotcha, appreicate the response. That's what I'm thinking as the LAX option doesn't seem much viable compared to multiple later flights at SFO.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The LAX connection is very doable IMO. HKG-LAX arrives at T7 and pax clear immigration and customs there, which is generally fast, even without MPC or GE. Security lines upstairs are also generally light at that time of night. If HKG-LAX is running late, UA can rebook you onto the evening HKG-SFO, likely with a similar arrival time into SEA as the LAX connection.
Bubblewhale likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wouldn't worry about the return, the consequences of a miss are minimal (at least if you book the morning arrival at SFO). It's the outbound from SFO that would concern me, particularly in February, and with SFO closing runway 28L until April.

Don't think I'd book a one hour connection to a once-daily international flight under those circumstances.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Bubblewhale like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:59 am

Would picking a later SFO-SEA flight not be an option? I would rather have a longer connection in case things do go wrong.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:08 am

I wouldn't worry about the return, the consequences of a miss are minimal (at least if you book the morning arrival at SFO). It's the outbound from SFO that would concern me, particularly in February, and with SFO closing runway 28L until April.

Don't think I'd book a one hour connection to a once-daily international flight under those circumstances.
Good point, though I will point out that SFO-HKG is twice daily. If OP is connecting to the daytime UA869, they can fall back to the nighttime UA877, though it will result in a long unplanned daytime layover in SFO.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:20 am

That's a good point you brought up, I thought at least under normal circumstances that the 1hr D-I connection would be alright but with 28L runway being closed, there's a chance that this might not be the best option. If I do miss the the nighttime SFO-HKG, I can wait until next morning for the morning SFO-HKG but that's not that preferable to me to spend the night at SFO.

This time perhaps I'll have to book via a different carrier and save my United Travelbank for another time, just unfortunately it'll cost me almost double due to me needing an afternoon/evening departure from SEA.

Last edited by Bubblewhale; Dec 27, 2023 at 8:39 pm
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:36 am

If I do miss the the nighttime SFO-HKG, I can wait until next morning for the morning SFO-HKG but that's not that preferable to me to spend the night at SFO.
NH does have a SFO-HND flight that leaves an hour or two after UA's nighttime SFO-HKG flight, and it connects nicely with HND-HKG the following morning. This could be a feasible backup, as it gets you to HKG about six hours later than the nighttime SFO-HKG and six hours earlier than the next morning's SFO-HKG. If you miss your original SFO-HKG, UA should be able to rebook you onto SFO-HND-HKG if there are seats left for sale in your class of service.
jsloan, JimInOhio and Bubblewhale like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by dkc192
The LAX connection is very doable IMO. HKG-LAX arrives at T7 and pax clear immigration and customs there, which is generally fast, even without MPC or GE. Security lines upstairs are also generally light at that time of night. If HKG-LAX is running late, UA can rebook you onto the evening HKG-SFO, likely with a similar arrival time into SEA as the LAX connection.
Immigration is T7; customs is T6.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Apologies for not catching this earlier, thank you for bringing that up. It doesn't seem too bad once you explained it from there.

I was wondering because it that since it's going through T7 and LAX and not TBIT would make this generally lot more smoother?

I imagine the biggest choke point is the bag collection before clearing immigration/customs? I guess it wouldn't affect me due to having carry-on only. Flew TPE-SEA a month ago, I only had carry-on and it arrived late in the night. Just zoomed right on by with barely any wait at customs/immigration since didn't have to wait for bag drop as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.