Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I have had that happen but pre-merger days so they took care of me without a fuss.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Last time this happened to me they boarded and asked me to ring call button and came up and verified I was on board.

They should not have taken off if your seat was occupied but they hadn't recorded you being on board (which should have led to what happened to me above).
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Did you check-in any luggage? Made any on-board purchases ?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1girlwhotravels
On Friday 11th November I flew ORD to LGA on United. I woke up this morning to check my return flight on 14th Nov LGA to ORD to find my flight had been cancelled. United refused to believe I was on the flight. The gate agent never "checked" me in. First off very scary that I am on a flight with no record.

United required that I pay the $200 change fee in order to reinstate my return flight. Has this ever happened to you?
While these errors are rare, there are occasional issues with the gate scanners.

(and other case of problems if you had last minute changes in itin due to UA irrops -- delays, cancellations, ... Assuming you did not, will not go into those issue)

You need to make a refund claim and if you have an supporting info -- airport parking or transportation tickets -- on either end, purchase for food or ??? at the airport, ... it would be useful to provide. I suspect this will be resolved quickly.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
OK, it seems this is mostly handled and i am sorry for the OP problems with United IT department. We all know that feeling.

When I read it, my first thought was I feel bad for anyone who has to fly from IAD to DFW on a FRIGGIN CR7
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Happened to me on an AS flight. The weird part is, I was able to board and fly a connecting flight the following morning after the supposed 'no show' and only found out that the return was cancelled when I tried to check in a week later.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-tomorrow.html
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:21 pm

Sadly I don't have status with United. Yes I refused to pay the $200 and even stated that I did nothing wrong as a passenger. I never check bags so no proof to add there. The GA had a problem scanning my mobile boarding pass but saw my name on the passenger list so let me board anyway. The flight left 40 minutes late which is no excuse for lack of protocols.

Yeah preparing refund request to United and missing miles for flight I was a n alleged no show.

Good points. I had gotten dinner at the airport so that purchase will help the argument. Thanks everyone for the support and advice. So crazy to think what if something happened on the flight and they did not know I was there! ��

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 13, 2016 at 5:34 pm Reason: m
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Mobile BP: Have two devices. One to scan and one to take photo of your name popping up.

Or take photo of the aircraft ID plates at/above the door.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Ok DW is disabled we always travel together for the last 5 years. ALWAYS. UA agent tried to claim I was on an international flight without her. Bags were checked under my name . She insisted my wife was not on the plane. I said I had our paper boarding cards, a distinguished foreign official who met us at the plane, and a selfie we took on board. I said our passports were also checked by German Passport control. She tried the "only what is in our computer matters." I said that since I was at a meeting o airline safety I would have them start an investigation into defective United software.. that ended the matter
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I always take a screen shot of my boarding passes and save them at least until miles are credited. Assuming you don't make changes after you check in (change seats, etc.) the QR code will also be the same so you can use that screen shot if the app won't open or something weird like that.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
UA flies passenger, IT thinks it doesn't & cancels rest of trip!

My wife is on a 9-day UA journey, and has already flown two legs.

Thanks to an Expert Flyer alert, I discovered that my wife's return had been cancelled. Apparently, this was caused by UA not thinking they transported her to her destination, so they cancelled her return flights. Of course, she was on both of her earlier scheduled flights.

After about an hour on the phone, I got her return flights back, but she lost her F aisle seats. Talk about an unhappy camper!

Questions:

Anyone else have this happen--UA cancels flights due to falsely believing that you did not take an earlier flight?

What kind of compensation might one expect for the troubles that this caused?

Thank you for your insights!
Old May 17, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by 747FC

Anyone else have this happen--UA cancels flights due to falsely believing that you did not take an earlier flight?

Yes. Happened to me a few times soon after the UA/CO systems integration. Last minute, I would take an earlier flight from EWR to SFO and the gate agent didn't properly SDC the switch, which instantly cancelled my overseas connections.

None. No comp. Be happy you caught the issue and got her back in F on her original flights. Window vs aisle? Hardly a biggie.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

this happens. Has happened to me before as well. You got the flights back. How about a $5 voucher?
Old May 17, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by cfischer
this happens. Has happened to me before as well. You got the flights back. How about a $5 voucher?
Perhaps your hourly rate is worth $5, but mine is worth much more than that.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...What kind of compensation might one expect for the troubles that this caused?...
She got her flights back. None. Maybe some "go away" miles if you want to call back and ask.

One of my segments disappeared mid-trip late last week. Called and agent spent time getting it back. She did. I was happy to get it back. Attributed it to a hiccup and didn't see need to start wondering about compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.